PDA

View Full Version : Business Plan Built on Sand

meister1991
28-01-2014, 09:44 PM
It appears that our business plan is built on i)selling players every year and ii) cup runs.

That simply won't work. I have sympathy that we end up significantly out of pocket by qualifying for Europe - win lose or draw it's a joke that clubs suffer financially by having to travel to the asrse end of europe.

Why we think we can sell a player every year is a joke. Our youth system is pi55 poor and has been for years. Why we think we can sell on players for profit in this day and age is at best misguided.

We need to operate on a sound footing and not rely on europe, cup runs or selling players - this should all be additional.

Thoughts ?

jwok
28-01-2014, 10:26 PM
We could half the player budget & probably run at a wee profit. We would then swap the excitement of the European race for the excitement of the relegation battle.

Not an easy decision.

meister1991
28-01-2014, 10:33 PM
I think you're right, it would cut the player budget short term and that would mean we'd likely be in the bottom half of the league.

If successful in cups and do sell players then that money would be used to reinvest it the team.

I just don't believe the plan we have is likely to generate profit or allow us to wipe our feet. We need to be careful and operate within our finances.

wellin
28-01-2014, 10:34 PM
No, not an easy decision. But to rely on cup runs is a bit foolhardy. If we also stick to the plan of having to sell a player on every year we may have to have a look at our youth policy, because we simply don't bring through enough talent to sell.

Yazz
28-01-2014, 11:22 PM
We should however get passed Albion Rovers, and other lower league dross, and give Euro debutants a harder time than sitting back and letting them take the initiative at FP.

Since the 2011 Cup Final we've won 1 cup-game in how many ??? 12 is it ? Not efin good enough however you look at it, and now we're in the Red.

Thats why I believe McCall Must Go.

Wellup4it
29-01-2014, 12:16 AM
I'd say our business plan is about right although it requires a bit of adjustment. If we were to cut the budget by 40% then we could say goodbye to cup runs (our recent run is bad enough), say hello to relegation scraps and possible demotion and falling attendances. A downward spiral.

Our youth system hasn't been producing and that needs to be overhauled. It wouldn't come cheap though.

The club is right to look at charging for cup games, although that's not good news for fans. A slight rise in season ticket prices would be acceptable and raising the concessionary age from 60 to 65 is only sensible, providing that it was introduced correctly.

stoneyatvt
29-01-2014, 10:25 AM
i would imagine the club expected the big promises of fans during the rangers fiasco to come true and fans to return to see the club ?

as fans we all must take some of the blame. Despite the best football and positions in the league for decades(if ever) our crowds are falling to under 4k.

but of course despite this we all still want new players and better players and , even tho we currently sit in 3rd , with a game in hand, at certain parts of the season x,y,z player/coach/manager is seen as not good enough and should be replaced :blue:.

maybe time for the realists to get real??

bheron
29-01-2014, 11:19 AM
We should however get passed Albion Rovers, and other lower league dross, and give Euro debutants a harder time than sitting back and letting them take the initiative at FP.

Since the 2011 Cup Final we've won 1 cup-game in how many ??? 12 is it ? Not efin good enough however you look at it, and now we're in the Red.

Thats why I believe McCall Must Go.I can't believe that last comment. I agree about the cup games, but Stuart McCall is the reason we are still in the top half of the league. We lost SIX of our most influential players, and still have a chance of finishing second.

According to some on this board, we have hopeless players, and a hopeless manager, so how come we are still at the top half of the league. Are all the other teams unlucky.

Ok we may be the best of a bad lot, but there must be a reason we are. And in my opinion the reason is Stuart McCall

wellowell
29-01-2014, 12:08 PM
If we qualify for Europe we are due a bit of luck with a draw as we always get a team with no away support. The only team that I remember coming to us with a support over 50 was steau and that was at Airdrie yet hearts qualify twice in about 7 yrs and draw Tottenham and Liverpool. I predict this year we will qualify for Europe and draw man utd in the Europa league wouldn't that be great and yes we will lose but will enjoy trip to Manchester.(we can all but hope)

eaststandman
29-01-2014, 02:49 PM
I'd say our business plan is about right

Even after having read the financial results and knowing that our future relies on The 'Well Society that most of our fan base seems to have no interest at all in ?

afc_1983
29-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Gents, just looking in and seeing this interesting debate.

I can understand your doom and gloom, but what would your reaction have been if Motherwell had posted a profit (as they may have done) had Neil Doncaster pulled the finger out and got a sponsorship deal for the league? Would that not have been worth A?180k to Motherwell annually?

In many respects some Motherwell fans' attitudes towards McCall are similar to how Aberdeen fans felt about Calderwood towards the end.

Yeah, all was fine in terms of finishing top 6 every season (woopdeedoo) but the cups are where it's at isn't it? Calderwood failed miserably there and had to go. You might feel differently, but McCall ought to be doing more with Motherwell in the cups. I think, perversely, that you'd be wrong to get rid of him though. Figure that out eh?

Yazz
03-02-2014, 10:26 PM
I can't believe that last comment. I agree about the cup games, but Stuart McCall is the reason we are still in the top half of the league. We lost SIX of our most influential players, and still have a chance of finishing second.

According to some on this board, we have hopeless players, and a hopeless manager, so how come we are still at the top half of the league. Are all the other teams unlucky.

Ok we may be the best of a bad lot, but there must be a reason we are. And in my opinion the reason is Stuart McCall

If you are as old as your moniker suggests, like me you'll have seen a lot of Motherwell teams since Brian Heron graced our left wing. I've seen better Motherwell sides than the current one, relegated. We're in 3rd because the standard of the SPFL is shyte. We should however , cruise past Div 3 teams in Cup-Ties. How much money has been lost due to the 2 worst results in the Club's history - both in the last 16months - an

Handsome_Devil
06-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Gents, just looking in and seeing this interesting debate.

I can understand your doom and gloom, but what would your reaction have been if Motherwell had posted a profit (as they may have done) had Neil Doncaster pulled the finger out and got a sponsorship deal for the league? Would that not have been worth A?180k to Motherwell annually?

In many respects some Motherwell fans' attitudes towards McCall are similar to how Aberdeen fans felt about Calderwood towards the end.

Yeah, all was fine in terms of finishing top 6 every season (woopdeedoo) but the cups are where it's at isn't it? Calderwood failed miserably there and had to go. You might feel differently, but McCall ought to be doing more with Motherwell in the cups. I think, perversely, that you'd be wrong to get rid of him though. Figure that out eh?

Sacking a manager for cup form is madness though. There's no great secret to it as one of the wee teams, you just hang around

WoodyG
07-02-2014, 11:16 PM
You shouldn't confuse lack of take up for the Well Society as being lack of interest. It may be lack of funds.

For me it is lack of integrity in the Scottish Game.

Wellup4it
08-02-2014, 07:28 AM
For me it is lack of integrity in the Scottish Game.

Could you be more specific? Lack of integrity on whose part? The SFA, SPFL, MFC, all clubs from senior to youth?

Personally, I have no problem with the way our club has conducted itself.