PDA

View Full Version : George Thorne

DCFC1388
29-01-2014, 10:36 AM
We are in talks with West Brom over a loan move for midfielder George Thorne.

21 year old centre midfielder who is rated quite highly not long come back from a ligament injury in his knee but just been on loan at Watford and played 8 games...he can play the holding midfielder role so either cover for Eustace of maybe a starter.

Pete O'Rourke[!]8207;@SkySportsPeteO4 mins
Derby are in talks with West Brom over a loan deal for midfielder George Thorne. #dcfc #wba

dcfcdavecov
29-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Probably going to get stick for this, but i think that Eustace is the easiest person to replace with a better player - someone like Thorne.

I don't think we can do much better in our budget than Martin, Bamford, Ward, Dawkins, Russell, Bryson, Hughes, Wisdom, Buxton, Keogh and Hendrick.

I'd replace Grant and Forsyth as well if we could, but i don't think there's anyone out there better within our budet - especially at LB.

Maybe Eric Steele will keep improving Grant.

Would be happy if this happened.

Rapid
29-01-2014, 12:36 PM
according to reports we've been chasing him all season.

we're gonna have an awful lot of work to do in the summer to replace all these loan signings...

D_D
29-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Probably going to get stick for this, but i think that Eustace is the easiest person to replace with a better player - someone like Thorne.

I don't think we can do much better in our budget than Martin, Bamford, Ward, Dawkins, Russell, Bryson, Hughes, Wisdom, Buxton, Keogh and Hendrick.

I'd replace Grant and Forsyth as well if we could, but i don't think there's anyone out there better within our budet - especially at LB.

Maybe Eric Steele will keep improving Grant.

Would be happy if this happened.

I like the look of Thorne, he's got good size, and by all accounts, he's a decent player.

Whilst I agree Eustace is limited, I still think people are too quick to forget certain things. How many years have we had posters on here cyring out for experience in the midfield? "An old head" was constantly being requested. Eustace may be technically worse than Throne, but he offers us that.

The Leicester game was a prime example of wh

RamFromCornwall
29-01-2014, 12:51 PM

we're gonna have an awful lot of work to do in the summer to replace all these loan signings...

Or we could get promoted and get a couple on a permanent deal. Bamford and Wisdom anyone? ;D

Rapid
29-01-2014, 12:51 PM
the reason that I defend Eustace a lot is that a lot of people don't seem to understand that his role doesn't require sublime technique. it requires discipline above all else. his job is to break up opposition attacks, tackle, win the ball and then as sir brian would say 'give it to someone who can play football'.

as soon as you get a more naturally gifted footballer in that role they want to do things that's not required of them. look at jeff hendrick for example, clearly a better all round midfield player than Eustace but absolute bobbins in that role because he's not as good at the dirty jobs and wants to get forward more.

I haven't seen much of thorne. what I've seen I've liked. but being an amazing footballer is not a prerequisite of what we need.

sheeeeeeeeeep
29-01-2014, 01:51 PM

Or we could get promoted and get a couple on a permanent deal. Bamford and Wisdom anyone? ;D[/quote]

If we don't get promoted which I don't think we will, I don't see it being a problem replacing the loan players with more top quality loan players given McClarens rep as a top coach, we could maybe even loan the same players?

Rapid
29-01-2014, 02:06 PM

Or we could get promoted and get a couple on a permanent deal. Bamford and Wisdom anyone? ;D[/quote]

If we don't get promoted which I don't think we will, I don't see it being a problem replacing the loan players with more top quality loan players given McClarens rep as a top coach, we could maybe even loan the same players?[/quote]

I hope you're right but I doubt it. wisdom is a top player at this level and only available really due to good timing on our part. if we hadn't snatched him up when we did I've no doubt he'd be back at Liverpool now that Johnson is out. he'll be wanting to push for their first team. bamford has already made it clear that we're a 'stepping stone' and h

D_D
29-01-2014, 03:18 PM
the reason that I defend Eustace a lot is that a lot of people don't seem to understand that his role doesn't require sublime technique. it requires discipline above all else. his job is to break up opposition attacks, tackle, win the ball and then as sir brian would say 'give it to someone who can play football'.

as soon as you get a more naturally gifted footballer in that role they want to do things that's not required of them. look at jeff hendrick for example, clearly a better all round midfield player than Eustace but absolute bobbins in that role because he's not as good at the dirty jobs and wants to get forward more.

I haven't seen much of thorne. what I've seen I've liked. but being an amazing footballer is not a prerequisite of what we need.

If the "like" button worked these days, I'd be clicking it.

This is exactly it. For me, perhaps the best way to upgrade the position is bring in someone more ath

DCFC1388
29-01-2014, 03:37 PM

This is exactly it. For me, perhaps the best way to upgrade

Rapid
29-01-2014, 04:35 PM

This is [b]exactly[/b

DCFC1388
29-01-2014, 04:49 PM

If the "like" button worked these days,

bigmattvdcfc
29-01-2014, 11:27 PM
Anyway back to the thread...wasn't Nigel interested in Thorne a while back?

I'm a bit disheartened by the lack of investment this transfer window.

I think we've been quite fortunate in some of our results up to this point, even during the good run we had, towards the end of it some of the individual performances were no that good.

This is the best chance we've had to actually get promoted since we came down and the board have done what to strengthen the team?

Lone signings have there good and bad points, a team containing so many of them might get us there but then what?

It would leave us needing to recruit half a team on an already understrength squad.

Loans should be there to reinforce the team/squad not be the squad.

Polish_ForestMad
30-01-2014, 07:33 AM
Pete O'Rourke a??@SkySportsPeteO Jan 27
Liverpool have joined the chase for Nottingham Forest duo Jamaal Lascelles + Karl Darlow after watching the pair on Friday.
lacelles was injured for that game and wasnt even on the bench.not very reliable.

Rapid
30-01-2014, 08:36 AM
Liverpool have joined the chase for Nottingham Forest duo Jamaal Lascelles + Karl Darlow after watching the pair on Friday.
lacelles was injured for that game and wasnt even on the bench.not very reliable.

did you post that in the wrong window? nobody cares about that h around here.

Bear DCFC
30-01-2014, 09:09 AM

You mistake us for people who give a ****. Go and smash one out over your owner's camels or whatever you lot like to do

dcfcdavecov
30-01-2014, 09:10 AM
It was that acccount that broke the "story".

Think old Polish is saying he's not reliable.

In regards to Eustace - i knew people would defend him, and i can see why - but imo we've got a good team, and he's a weakish link in it.

Bear DCFC
30-01-2014, 11:22 AM
I read some interesting stats on another site (which shall not bed :s ) which compare Eustace to Thorne:

Eustace:
Apps - 20(4)

goals - 0
assists - 0
Yellow - 8
Red - 0
Shots per game - 0.3
Pass acc % - 78
Aerial battles won per game - 2.6

Tackles per game - 1.9
interceptions - 1.5
fouls - 1.8
clearances - 1.7
dribbled past - 1
blocked shots 0.3

chances created - 0.3
avg passes - 37.2

Thorne:
Apps - 8

goals - 0
assists - 1
yellow - 1
shots per game 0.5
pass acc - 80.2
aerial battles won - 2.5

Tackles - 3.3
interceptions - 1.9
fouls - 0.6
clearances - 2.4
dribbled past - 0.8
blocked shots - 0.4

chances created - 0.8
avg passes - 64.3

It was also commented about Eustace that:

His pass completion is the 15th best in our side.

He makes on average less successful tackles per game than both Hughes and Bryson

Makes on average more fouls than any other player in our side per game

He gets skinned at the same rate as Bryson and Hughes

He makes 37.2 passes per game,

SlimyLimey
30-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Anyway back to the thread...wasn't Nigel interested in Thorne a while back?

I'm a bit disheartened by the lack of investment this transfer window.

I think we've been quite fortunate in some of our results up to this point, even during the good run we had, towards the end of it some of the individual performances were no that good.

This is the best chance we've had to actually get promoted since we came down and the board have done what to strengthen the team?

Lone signings have there good and bad points, a team containing so many of them might get us there but then what?

It would leave us needing to recruit half a team on an already understrength squad.

Loans should be there to reinforce the team/squad not be the squad.

It's all a matter of economics. If we splash out a lot of money on players & don't get to the Prem. we are stuck with them and that we can't afford. If we do get promoted we can then "Splash the cash" in a

DCFC1388
30-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Joined on loan until the end of the saeson, confirmed McClaren in this afternoon's press conference.

Owen Bradley[!]8207;@OwenBradley7 mins
Steve McClaren confirms the signing of George Thorne on loan from WBA til the end of the season. #dcfcfans
Expand

UpTheRams1884
30-01-2014, 01:14 PM
lacelles was injured for that game and wasnt even on the bench.not very reliable. Lascelles was on the bench.

UpTheRams1884
30-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Quality signing... Happy with that. :D

DerbyBoy16
30-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Quality signing... Happy with that. :D

Has anything been confirmed? As much as I applaud the job Eustace has done so far this season I do think we could do better.

He's a cracking player to keep in the squad but I just don't think he has the legs at times any more, Yeovil's first came due to him not reacting at all to cut out the man in the middle who waltzed into the space he should have been guarding...

D_D
30-01-2014, 04:53 PM
[quote="Bear DCFC"]I read some interesting stats on another site (which shall not bed :s ) which compare Eustace to Thorne:

Eustace:
Apps - 20(4)

goals - 0
assists - 0
Yellow - 8
Red - 0
Shots per game - 0.3
Pass acc % - 78
Aerial battles won per game - 2.6

Tackles per game - 1.9
interceptions - 1.5
fouls - 1.8
clearances - 1.7
dribbled past - 1
blocked shots 0.3

chances created - 0.3
avg passes - 37.2

Thorne:
Apps - 8

goals - 0
assists - 1
yellow - 1
shots per game 0.5
pass acc - 80.2
aerial battles won - 2.5

Tackles - 3.3
interceptions - 1.9
fouls - 0.6
clearances - 2.4
dribbled past - 0.8
blocked shots - 0.4

chances created - 0.8
avg passes - 64.3

It was also commented about Eustace that:

His pass completion is the 15th best in our side.

He makes on average less successful tackles per game than both Hughes and Bryson

Makes on average more fouls than any other player in our side per game

He gets skinned at the same rate as Br

RamFromCornwall
30-01-2014, 05:02 PM
It does seem like he's sent here on the sole purpose to get his fitness up after a lengthly injury. They gave him a new contract til summer of 2017 then sent him out on loan so they obviously have plans to keep him at the club and use him in the Premier League.

Should be a decent player though providing he doesn't turn out to have reoccurrences on that injury of his.

ramspride
30-01-2014, 05:21 PM
I see he's signed on loan till the end of the season. Should be a thorn in our side ;D ;-D

Derby2die4
30-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Good signing, outshone and permanently kept Mcecheran on the bench while at Watford. Always been highly thought of, would be a prem regular if not for bad luck with injuries, this lad is not here to sit on the bench.

Eustace will now be used to shore up from the bench I think, not sure where this leaves Bailey? Possibly a loan out? We could perhaps now use the option of a slight chance in formation, 4231? Its the option many teams use these days. Who knows? Im happy though!

AngryRam
30-01-2014, 07:43 PM

Rapid I don't understand this.. If I was in the pub and offered you a coke and brought myself a pint would you be happy. It would quench your thirst, yes but you won't get ****ed on i

Fletch_11
30-01-2014, 08:38 PM
I'm hoping that Thorne will be a bit like a Seth Johnson type player. A midfield reducer type player who can distribute the ball accurately and play a bit. We have not had a player who can effectively do that since Seth Lad got injured in the playoff final!

Can anyone give a bit of info on whether he is this type of player?

triz
30-01-2014, 08:43 PM
i don't like getting players in that a recovering from a major injury, its like we are paying to rehabilitate them. I really hope his fitness is better then i have heard and he can contribute.

D_D
30-01-2014, 08:46 PM
i don't like getting players in that a recovering from a major injury, its like we are paying to rehabilitate them. I really hope his fitness is better then i have heard and he can contribute.

He's played 90 minutes for Watford regularly, so I'm not too worried. I think he's about fully fit now, and WBA want him here to refine his game, under a good coach in a proper footballing side.