PDA

View Full Version : A boast or a worry?

Elite_Pie
29-01-2014, 09:38 PM
I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the following post made on our board by my old mate Tricky. For me it put your current situation into perspective, and could become a huge millstone around your neck if you don't go up this year or if Fawaz loses interest and FFP becomes a reality. It relates to your new signing.

Just to help you, 20k a week is 1.04 million a year salary. So when your squad is on anything from 5k to 20k a week each, it soon adds up.

Before you say it I am fully aware that these are figures Notts could only dream about, but from a Forest perspective do you see them as something to brag about or be a bit concerned about?

Trickytreesreds
29-01-2014, 10:06 PM
The point was EP, I hate the term "freebies", they are far from it. This doesn't just effect us, it effects everyone. Derby fans seem to believe they are to model to follow, but they are losing millions themselves.
So what do you do? Cut the wages right down, have crap players, watch the crowds dwindle?
It may be forced on us, who knows? The prem clubs have said they'll fight FFP in the european courts. It's up to our owner, which course we follow.
RT says he's skint, he expected bigger crowds to increase his budget. He hasn't done that, so what now? I think the league table answers that one.
So no, I'm not happy with the financial situation and am worried, but who isn't?
Could be worse, look at Bolton. What was the last count, 160M + in debt?
I'm sure Fawaz has a plan of sorts. He's a business man, with rich relatives.

As crocodile Dundee said, when asked if he had a voice?
"yearh, but who's gonna hear it out here"?

What is, is.

triz
29-01-2014, 10:17 PM
In this league you could say thats TOTALLY DISGRACEFUL - view external link (http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=401&fid=192&sty=2&act=1&mid=2111619626)

Forestaddict
30-01-2014, 10:36 AM
I dont really understand how the FFP will would stand up in court if tested. FIFA seem to want to have thier cake and eat it. With that I mean, Football is a business, a business which has employees, and we know what happened in court around player contracts years ago. Businesses receive investments all the time to stay afloat so if we have money (Fawaz does), he can support the running costs of Forest then he should be able to do so. If his budget happoens to be 10 times as big as the next club, so be it. Also, big sponsors will be lobbying like carzy in suppport of thier clubs who may be accused of inproper management of the FFP. I say: see you in court!

Elite_Pie
30-01-2014, 10:47 AM
You're probably right that FFP will be challenged in court, and it would be no surprise if it is overturned. I am intrigued by the bit about Fawaz having the money to support much higher running costs. As I understand it sponsors are counted as part of income, so why didn't he sponsor your shirts for an amount that would bring you inside FFP limits?

Forestaddict
30-01-2014, 11:02 AM
I do know the exact figures, but i think it was an overinflated sponsorship deal

can anyone give accurate numbers for this?

Addisons_a_monster
30-01-2014, 01:16 PM
The issue with FFP is that clubs are going to the wall trying to catch the golden goose - and they are trying to prevent it.

20 years ago nearly (jeez I feel old now) Rugby Union went professional, and clubs such as Coventry and famous old haunts of England captains Fylde etc suddenly couldnt afford to pay players - many of these ended up being wound up and reverting to amateur status lower down in the echelons. Other clubs tried to buy success and had their brief moments in the sun but could not sustain the expenditure - such as Richmond.

Because clubs were collapsing the RFU installed a salary cap system (it is still being argued in the press if folk wish to read it) which limits the amount each team can spend on their playing staff to a value around 4 - 4.5 million pounds per year.

This system does not impact the "restriction of trade" argument of players - as you can offer a single player any contract (within the salary cap) you wish - but if you have, for example, Wayne Rooney'

Forestaddict
30-01-2014, 01:25 PM
spot on chap

Polish_ForestMad
30-01-2014, 03:29 PM
You're probably right that FFP will be challenged in court, and it would be no surprise if it is overturned. I am intrigued by the bit about Fawaz having the money to support much higher running costs. As I understand it sponsors are counted as part of income, so why didn't he sponsor your shirts for an amount that would bring you inside FFP limits?
I think there is a limit on what an owner can sponsor his own team.well that's what's been said what iv seen.

Elite_Pie
30-01-2014, 06:19 PM
I think there is a limit on what an owner can sponsor his own team.well that's what's been said what iv seen.

I'd like to know if that's true or not. I agree with Forestaddict when he says if a club is lucky enough to find an owner prepared to spend big then it should be allowed, as long as the cash is given rather than loaned. I thought that was the idea of FFP, to stop clubs taking on debts they can't repay. If an owner wants to gift cash to a club, I don't see a problem with that.

Tony_Notts_County
30-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Not sure why people are talking about legal action against the FFP rules. The laws governing the Football League clubs have been approved by the clubs voting at meetings. I think people are confusing the Uefa Champions league FFP implementation. Which may have been just applied to qualifying clubs etc. So perhaps they could take actiona??
However the FFP rules for the Championship were voted in by 21 of the 24 clubs, so 21 clubs cannot possibly take any action. The 3 that voted against it, how can they take legal action, they had a vote and lost.
If they did take action, the other 23 clubs could vote to expel them from the league or something similar.
Notts County, the FFP type rules again have been inforce for 3 seasons. This season all clubs in league one had their player budget cut by 5% down to 60% of revenue.
So to increase spending the revenue has to be increased.