PDA

View Full Version : a??We have 18 games left and, hopefully, more..." McC

ellafella
31-01-2014, 07:20 AM
Sounds like McC will settle for a play-off place.

Thoughts? Should we be going all-out for the top 2? :s

Manofpride
31-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Sounds like McC will settle for a play-off place.

Thoughts? Should we be going all-out for the top 2? :s

Yeah I think we should be going out all guns blazing but the Leicester and QPR teams have money and players with extra quality which can help them pull away. Just hope they have bad patches and that we can start to catch them at the finishing post!

KeeptheCityGround
31-01-2014, 08:13 AM
I reckon the injury to Charlie Austin FC has opened the door for both our clubs. He's been worth so many points for them this season and I don't think they can replace him. Let's hope he's out for a couple of months! >;)

blackandwhite56
31-01-2014, 09:16 AM
Surely any public statements by McClaren are designed to manage expectations of himself and the team,and hopefully reduce the pressure the players are placed under.

Nobody can doubt McClaren's determination to win every game as shown by the way his substitutions go for a win if we have fallen behind like we did on Wednesday.

Rattea
31-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Maybe hes looking at the deeper analysis and realises that our form against fellow challengers is desperate and over the period of a season we cant even afford to lose any form against lower league opposition to even maintain the position we are in now!!!

Its quite simple but I think you will find that expectation within the club are based on much more than overzealous emotion!

blackandwhite56
31-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Maybe hes looking at the deeper analysis and realises that our form against fellow challengers is desperate and over the period of a season we cant even afford to lose any form against lower league opposition to even maintain the position we are in now!!!

Its quite simple but I think you will find that expectation within the club are based on much more than overzealous emotion!

Perhaps he's using your 'Like for Like' analysis -God help him!

RamFromCornwall
31-01-2014, 02:46 PM
I think we may as well go for it because I don't think I'd be able to handle another set of play-offs, especially if the top 6 finished as it stands with the little group of people on pink seats who go woof lurking around.

We have a pretty big gap between us and 7th, and I'd be surprised if any of the top 5 do not finish 5th or higher come the end of the season. Sixth is pretty much the only all to play for spot at the moment, providing Forest win their game in hand. Ipswich or Reading looking likely for that spot and I'd rather face them in the play-off semi final ahead of Forest (anything could happen) or Burnley (bogey side) any day of the week. Lets make a push for it, get up to third spot, then re-evaluate our goals and try to hunt down QPR. Unfortunately I think Leicester are uncatchable by anybody and they'll have the title tied up. Still, I'd be very happy with second place thank you very much.

hantsram
31-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Surely any public statements by McClaren are designed to manage expectations of himself and the team,and hopefully reduce the pressure the players are placed under.

Nobody can doubt McClaren's determination to win every game as shown by the way his substitutions go for a win if we have fallen behind like we did on Wednesday.

you're absolutely right. When we were in the middle of the 7 game run he was telling the press it was a 3 year plan.

He's a smart guy. Management 101: under promise, over deliver.

hantsram
31-01-2014, 04:15 PM
I think we may as well go for it because I don't think I'd be able to handle another set of play-offs, especially if the top 6 finished as it stands with the little group of people on pink seats who go woof lurking around.

We have a pretty big gap between us and 7th, and I'd be surprised if any of the top 5 do not finish 5th or higher come the end of the season. Sixth is pretty much the only all to play for spot at the moment, providing Forest win their game in hand. Ipswich or Reading looking likely for that spot and I'd rather face them in the play-off semi final ahead of Forest (anything could happen) or Burnley (bogey side) any day of the week. Lets make a push for it, get up to third spot, then re-evaluate our goals and try to hunt down QPR. Unfortunately I think Leicester are uncatchable by anybody and they'll have the title tied up. Still, I'd be very happy with second place thank you very much.

I think we'll be 2nd

RamFromCornwall
31-01-2014, 04:22 PM
[quote="hantsram"]I think we may as well go for it because I don't think I'd be able to handle another set of play-offs, especially if the top 6 finished as it stands with the little group of people on pink seats who go woof lurking around.

We have a pretty big gap between us and 7th, and I'd be surprised if any of the top 5 do not finish 5th or higher come the end of the season. Sixth is pretty much the only all to play for spot at the moment, providing Forest win their game in hand. Ipswich or Reading looking likely for that spot and I'd rather face them in the play-off semi final ahead of Forest (anything could happen) or Burnley (bogey side) any day of the week. Lets make a push for it, get up to third spot, then re-evaluate our goals and try to hunt down QPR. Unfortunately I think Leicester are uncatchable by anybody and they'll have the title tied up. Still, I'd be very happy with second place thank

swaledale
01-02-2014, 12:47 AM
I dont doubt that McClaren aims to be in the automatic promotion place, but only a fool would set himself up for a fall.

Top 6 will do nicely Up the Rams!!

dcfcdavecov
01-02-2014, 09:35 AM

I'm sorry, but what?

Yes we can. We need to go at Clough form (just over a point a game)

We don't even have to go at the form we have showed against Wigan, Leicester, Brighton, Blackburn and Yeovil. (7 points from 5).

The only option for me is to go for it. The stats show we are almost certain to be in the play-offs anyway.

Ramondo
01-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Personally, I think that a top 2 finish is beyond us. Leicester are pretty much dead certs for one of those places and between us, QPR, Burnley and Forest I think we are in the lower half of that group. I can see Forest and QPR slugging it out come the end of the season for the other automatic place.

In fact, I actually hope that Forest do take that other spot. Seriously. Then there can be no chance of meeting the ****ers in the playoffs!

Regarding what form is needed to secure a top six finish, we are in such a strong position at the minute that although play offs are by no means a certainty, in reality we probably only need maybe 7 wins and a few draws from the remaining 18 matches, which is upper end of mid table form - something we've been capable of for the past couple of seasons. So I don't think play offs are over optimistic but top 2 is.

triz
01-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Top 2 is way beyond us, and tbh i think if we make the playoffs we wont get out the semi's but that'd still be a good season for me.