PDA

View Full Version : Craig Conway

Howie5o
31-01-2014, 01:30 PM
..apparantly signed from Cardiff ..winger..undisclosed fee

champs95
31-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Not seen him before.

So based on absolutely nothing, I will state to everyone that he's average.

Howie5o
31-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Not seen him before.

So based on absolutely nothing, I will state to everyone that he's average.

XD me neither Champs hence the lack of opinion ..

Stan_van_nel
31-01-2014, 01:56 PM
A very adequate winger at this level.

A good signing.

champs95
31-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Is he a right winger Stan?

Stan_van_nel
31-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Predominantly yes.

He scored the goal at t'Turf last season which sealed Cardiff as champions.

A good crosser of the ball.

MillHillRover
31-01-2014, 03:12 PM
I'm not gonna pass any judgement on the lad until I see saxo's assessment of him :P

DanRrr
31-01-2014, 03:25 PM
If he's put one past Burnleh, he's OK in my book ;D

Stan_van_nel
31-01-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm not gonna pass any judgement on the lad until I see saxo's assessment of him :P

He's not as good as Brett Emerton and if he's not good enough for Cardiff then he's not good enough for the 1995 Premier League Champions

champs95
31-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Predominantly yes.

He scored the goal at t'Turf last season which sealed Cardiff as champions.

A good crosser of the ball.

Cheers Stan, sounds like a decent signing this lad.

But as Milly said, Until Mr Padded Cell has passed judgment, it's not worth discussing.

jordan12rhodes
31-01-2014, 05:07 PM
my view is..

that i have no view on the guy, having never seen him play. what i would say however, is do we really need another winger? we seem to be badly short upfront with no sign of anyone coming in up to now..

Howie5o
31-01-2014, 05:13 PM
[quote="jordan12rhodes"]my view is..

having never seen him play...

...nor probably never will ...

champs95
31-01-2014, 05:15 PM
my view is..

that i have no view on the guy, having never seen him play. what i would say however, is do we really need another winger? we seem to be badly short upfront with no sign of anyone coming in up to now..

Yes we do considering we lost our winger last week for at least the rest of this season.

AucklandRover
31-01-2014, 09:34 PM
He seems to be mainly listed as a left winger, but he is right-footed, so he should be able to slot in to Marshall's place.
Looking through fans' sites, etc, the encouraging thing is he always gets praise for his attitude and work ethic. Given what we've seen over the last few years, I think most of us are willing to accept a little LESS talent if that's balanced by a little MORE commitment.
What is going to be interesting is the CENTRAL midfield situation. I wonder what combination GB will choose from Dunn, Cairney, Evans, Dabo, Williamson, Lowe, Marrow and Etuhu.
We are well stocked with wingers/wide midfield players also: Conway, Marshall, King, Taylor, Mahoney, Olsson, Morris and Judge. In other words, there is still plenty of room for unloading!
Now that Dann has gone, however, we are very light at centre-back. I hope Songo'o comes good. Otherwise, we are going to have to rely on youngsters for cover in that position.
The squad still seems weirdly unbalanced, but I suppose a lot

Howie5o
31-01-2014, 09:43 PM
[quote="AucklandRover"]He seems to be mainly listed as a left winger, but he is right-footed, so he should be able to slot in to Marshall's place.
Looking through fans' sites, etc, the encouraging thing is he always gets praise for his attitude and work ethic. Given what we've seen over the last few years, I think most of us are willing to accept a little LESS talent if that's balanced by a little MORE commitment.
What is going to be interesting is the CENTRAL midfield situation. I wonder what combination GB will choose from Dunn, Cairney, Evans, Dabo, Williamson, Lowe, Marrow and Etuhu.
We are well stocked with wingers/wide midfield players also: Conway, Marshall, King, Taylor, Mahoney, Olsson, Morris and Judge. In other words, there is still plenty of room for unloading!
Now that Dann has gone, however, we are very light at centre-back. I hope Songo'o comes good. Otherwise, we are going to have to rely on youngsters for cover in that position.
The squad s

AucklandRover
31-01-2014, 10:05 PM
[quote="Howie5o"]He seems to be mainly listed as a left winger, but he is right-footed, so he should be able to slot in to Marshall's place.
Now that Dann has gone, however, we are very light at centre-back. I hope Songo'o comes good. Otherwise, we are going to have to rely on young

Stan_van_nel
31-01-2014, 10:17 PM
He seems to be mainly listed as a left winger, but he is right-footed,

It's the modern way is putting wingers on opposite flanks so that they can cut inside.

There's not a prettier sight than having a goalscorer in the middle and the winger getting to the byline and floating one over...GOAL!

I know that I'm stuck in history but it'd be great to see now and then.

Howie5o
31-01-2014, 10:27 PM
[quote="AucklandRover"]He seems to be mainly listed as a left winger, but he is right-footed, so he should be able to slot in to Marshall's place.
Now that Dann has gone, however, we are very light at centre-back. I hope Songo'o comes goo

AucklandRover
31-01-2014, 10:33 PM
[quote="Howie5o"]He seems to be mainly listed as a left winger, but he is right-footed, so he should be able to slot in to Marshall's place.
Now that Dann has gone, however, we are very l

AucklandRover
31-01-2014, 10:36 PM

It's the modern way is putting wingers on opposite flanks so that they can cut inside.

There's not a prettier sight than having a goalscorer in the middle and the winger getting to the byline and floating one over...GOAL!

I know that I'm stuck in history but it'd be great to see now and then.[/quote]

I'd love to see that too, but everybody is a "wing-back" now. I blame Alf Ramsey!

DanRrr
31-01-2014, 10:38 PM
Now that Dann has gone, however, we are very l

AucklandRover
31-01-2014, 10:57 PM
[quote="DanRrr"]He seems to be mainly listed as a left winger, but he is right-footed, so he should be able to slot in to Marshall's place.
Now

DanRrr
31-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Possibly, Dan, but my guess is that GB is going for midfield power with this line-up:
Robinson
Lowe/Williamson/Etuhu/Evans
Conway/Dunn/Cairney/Dabo/Taylor/King

So, it's...

I'll let you know after tomorrows game Aucks. Bloody hope not. Come to the conclusion watching over the last season and a half that valour favours the brave. Might as well go for it, or die trying. It's much more interesting to watch ;)

Edit: this view is entierly based on the fact I'd only accept the cautious approach at this stage if we were 2nd and it worked. Anyway, football's supposed to be a competitive sport, so might as well try and be competitive. There's a crazy logic there, I'm sure.

needle
01-02-2014, 08:45 AM

I know that I'm stuck in history but it'd be great to see now and then.[/quote]
Like :D

AucklandRover
01-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Possibly, Dan, but my guess is that GB is going for midfield power with this line-up:
Robinson

So, it's...

I'll let you know after tomorrows game Aucks. Bloody hope not. Come to the conclusion watching over the last season and a half that valour favours the brave. Might as well go for it, or die trying. It's much more interesting to watch ;)

Edit: this view is entierly based on the fact I'd only accept the cautious approach at this stage if we were 2nd and it worked. Anyway, football's supposed to be a competitive sport, so might as well try and be competitive. There's a crazy logic there, I'm sure.[/quote]

Dan - having read post-match comments and reports, my joke-team above does raise a serious point.
Presumably, Conway and Dabo have been signed to play. It would be strange to drop either Cairney or Dunn, while L

AucklandRover
02-02-2014, 11:58 PM
Robinson

So, it's...

Edit: this view is entierly based on the fact I'd only accept the cautious approach at this stage if we were 2nd and it worked. Anyway, football's supposed to be a competitive sport, so might as well try and be competitive. There's a crazy logic there, I'm sure.[/quote]

Dan - having read post-match comments and reports, my joke-team above does raise a serious point.
Presumably, Conway and Dabo have been signed to play. It would

DanRrr
03-02-2014, 12:05 AM
Seriously Aucks, I have literally only just seen this. I missed it, sorry.

However, there is little to add as you've hit the nail on head. It's like Noah's Arc with 2 of everthing. And each with something unique to offer. A settled 11 doesn't seem possible, as all are worthy of playing, (well most).

Oh, and you forgot to mention Leon Best :O

Despair
03-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Hi Dan / Aucks.

I have been absent from the pages (as a contributor) for a while for the reason of; far too much childish bickering for my personal liking, Banter is great, but much of the pointless 'debating' got overly tiresome.

Anyhow, for what its worth this is my personal take upon ongoing developments at Ewood;

Scott Dann gone: for me not a great loss but more importantly a major salary drain off the books. The only concern has nothing to do with his personal abilities (cept his admirable appearance rate), but our lack of cover at this position. Valuation? he's gone for what he's worth, forget what we paid, it was always 2 to 3 times what he was worth.
My longstanding issue is with the remaining posse! Same goes for them in order of; DE, DJC and LB. In my order of distaste!
Same applies, this on the basis of what we paid, the 'real world' valuation, and their general individual contribution to 'the cause'.
We can easily write off some 60 to 70% of those 'investments' in order

DanRrr
03-02-2014, 09:42 AM
AGain Despair, that's pretty much how I see it. The only bit I might have a different view on is DE. Simply because, although he drove me insane last season, last season itself drove me insane, so I'm up for giving him a fair crack at the whip under the new set up and then judge. But it's looking increasingly unlikely it'll happen as he's doing a Grella.

The midfield is flooded, and the defence is a bit light for me. But it's a rebuild job from the ground up and it'll take time.

Despair
03-02-2014, 11:02 AM
Quote: But it's looking increasingly unlikely it'll happen as he's doing a Grella !!!

And there's the rub >:(

With DJC he's pretty much 'up an runnin' (if you can call it that). A sell on for him should not be too big an issue. :)
LB appears to be a 'conflict of opinions' with the staff, so its a personal thing where he needs fresh pastures. But we'll get back, at Best ;D , only half of what we paid for him. But, a seemingly big earner off the books. :)
Then there's DE :/
You say yourself 'he's doin a Grella', that is enough to tell anyone the mindset of the guy.
Given his age and the contract he (assisted by agent - spit!) has gleaned for himself, is it any wonder he can't be arsed!
To get rid of this guy at 700k! would take a minor miracle IMO.
Of course he has got to put a pair of boots on and spend some time on a football playing surface and demonstrate his 'credentials' as a professional footballer before even that paltry sum could be realised.

IMO

DanRrr
03-02-2014, 12:23 PM
By 'doing a Grella' I was sort of joking. I know injuries and the way GB speaks about him, (and I coceed that it may all to be about getting interest from elsewhere); he may have something to offer. But we won't know unless his ankle gets sorted and puts on the shirt.

With Best we all know the score, he's spat his dummy and won't play ball unless it's for his bald headed mate. Last time I saw DE play, the whole team was dire, as were the tactics under a 'manager, (Crappleton) who clearly had upset the camp that wanted GB to get more time. This season, everone focuses on him giving away that penalty, but a player that can't be ars3d wouldn't have been back there to do it. It was a case of trying to do too much. Which whilst annoying, does show some desire. If he was fit and hasn't lost what he had before comming to Ewood, he could be very useful in the run in to the end of the season. Maybe we'll find out, maybe we won't. We laughed at Ribero, but when he got a chance he looked OK.

Despair
03-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Can certainly understand and respect your view Dan, and you may well be proven right (lets hope so).

IMO whatever shift DE puts in between now and the end of his time with us will in no way compensate for the monies shelled out on him.
But that is water under the bridge now - damage done.
If he leaves next season - it could well be a free (in my view). So our only hope is that he turns out to be a major influence in making this season 'successful'.
Call me super pessimistic, but I doubt it very much.

It's good to have healthy debate without all the nonsense (or is that nonce ence!).

DanRrr
03-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Like I say Despair, it's simply a case of the proof of the pudding is in the eating. He may well turn out to be a pudding. I'd just like to see how he does in a more settled team, in a more settled environment with a decent guy at the helm. If his ankle gets sorted in time, it will be his chance to blow for me. Until then, for some reason, I've chosen to reserve judgement.

As for healthy debate, it's OK, but where's my opportunities for cheap point scoreing? That's what I want to know XD

AucklandRover
04-02-2014, 01:24 AM
Seriously Aucks, I have literally only just seen this. I missed it, sorry.

However, there is little to add as you've hit the nail on head. It's like Noah's Arc with 2 of everthing. And each with something unique to offer. A settled 11 doesn't seem possible, as all are worthy of playing, (well most).

Oh, and you forgot to mention Leon Best :O

Dan - my tetchiness certainly wasn't directed at you (see response to Champs on "OTT" thread). Despair - good to see you back.
I did forget Leon Best, Perhaps it's merciful amnesia.
We have turned footballers into celebrities, and football seems secondary to some of them. It was refreshing to see Alan Judge say he would like to go on loan to ensure he got a game every week.
My reactions really qualify me as a "Grumpy Old Man" when I read something like last month's survey, showing 60% of kids want to be "celebrities" (ie "stars" of Youtube videos or Kardashian look-alikes), rather than aspir

ofgtf
04-02-2014, 07:58 AM
Superb signing , magnificent player .

Stan_van_nel
15-04-2014, 10:12 PM
So is he a good signing then?

My ego needs to be massaged a bit.

No one ever tells me that they love me, you see.

AucklandRover
16-04-2014, 05:24 AM

Loving you is going a bit far, Stan, but Conway HAS turned out to be one of our most reliable consistent players.
Looking back at this thread, three months on, I suppose we CAN say we (and GB) are much closer to knowing our best team.

With everybody fit, it would probably be:
Robinson
Keane Hanley Kilgallon Spurr
Marshall Cairney Evans Conway
Rhodes Gestede

A little light defensively, perhaps - and a bit harsh on Dunny - but this is the most creative line-up we have had for a long time.

champs95
16-04-2014, 06:16 AM

Yes he is Stan. And your right about the wingers too. I'm also stuck in that era when I love to see a fullback beaten by pace and a great ball whipped in.
I always quite liked Kightly. How's he been for Burnley?
The main asset to Conway has been the fact he has weighed in with goals too, which is crucial next season if we mount a challenge. Our 2 wingers Marshall & Conway are both decent.

needle
16-04-2014, 06:35 PM
I doubted him at first , but another quality signing from GB .
How many of GB`S permanent signings have been bad ones ?
Marrow and maybe Judge , although personally I wouldnt give up on Judge !

Rvblue
16-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Aucks yes that would be my first eleven.

Just missing a General though in midfield

AucklandRover
16-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Aucks yes that would be my first eleven.

Just missing a General though in midfield

I know what you mean, Rvblue. I am hoping that Cairney develops into that sort of player. In the meantime, David Dunn is still ok for a half.
I doubt if we'll ever see that XI on the pitch, because it doesn't include an out-and-out defensive midfielder, like Lowe, Williamson or Etuhu.
I suppose every manager sets out with a basic 1-0 victory in mind, whereas the line-up suggested is likely to involve more goals for BOTH sides!