PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Foley

SuperDerbySuperRams
31-01-2014, 02:08 PM
We are in talks with him from Wolves. Could happen today, but loan window in 7 days. Reliable as always

SuperDerbySuperRams
31-01-2014, 02:11 PM
FYI this isn't a done deal. Just talking. But we've watched him 3 times recently

Bear DCFC
31-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Cheers mate, I always look forward to your posts. Top man.

Bear DCFC
31-01-2014, 02:27 PM
I know very little about him apart from what's on his Wiki page, anyone know if he's any good? It says he's a right back/midfielder.

SuperDerbySuperRams
31-01-2014, 02:48 PM

Thank you mate. He won wolves Poty when they were promoted, and was a regular in the prem. Struggled with injuries this and last season and seemingly frosen out by the new manager, much like other players e.g Doyle and Johnson.

He's a decent player and if he can re-find old form he'd be an astute signing

RamFromCornwall
31-01-2014, 02:59 PM

Thank you mate. He won wolves Poty when they were promoted, and was a regular in the prem. Struggled with injuries this and last season and seemingly frosen out by the new manager, much like other players e.g Doyle and Johnson.

He's a decent player and if he can re-find old form he'd be an astute signing[/quote]

Not rubbishing your claim or anything like that mate but if he's a right back/right midfielder, do we need him? Keane presumably went back because SMc didn't feel we needed another CB unless Utd wanted him back. We have Wisdom at RB who I can't see being dropped unless he was to move into the centre which would see Buxton dropped who was keeping Keane out the side. We don't really play with wide midfielders so there would be no room for him there, so where would he play?

Is he versatile? Maybe McClaren is

Rapid
31-01-2014, 03:12 PM

plus 1.

RFC I assume the point is that is wisdom got injured we wouldn't have any adequate cover at right back. freeman isn't good enough and no doubt wants to be loaned to play more first team football. Keogh could do it at a push but mac wouldn't want to split the 'buckeo' partnership.

(did I just invent a new nickname...following in the footsteps of brangelina and j-law?)

stamfordram
31-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Desperately need some cover for Wisdom and Forsyth - from our usual subs how would we cover an 'in game' injury to either FBs? I suppose Hendrick did cover for Wisdom vs Brighton.

Lowe / Hoganson / Gjokay / Freeman are all around but never get in the squad. LB cover would be a real issue - Buxton / whitbread!

RamFromCornwall
31-01-2014, 03:46 PM
So would Foley be coming to sit on our bench or is it sorry Craig, have a rest?

stamfordram
31-01-2014, 03:57 PM
I am still mentally scarred from Forsyth's miss on Tuesday night! how could he not score?

Probably does a reasonable defensive job but not the same as having Wisdom at RB.

Bear DCFC
31-01-2014, 05:02 PM
If we do sign him maybe it's with one eye on the future, in case Wisdom doesn't sign for us again?

Fletch_11
31-01-2014, 05:28 PM
If we do sign him maybe it's with one eye on the future, in case Wisdom doesn't sign for us again?

Reckon this is the nail on the head statement Bear!
It's prudent to look towards next season and unless we get promoted I would be surprised to see Wisdom back (unless Hughes goes there or he is massively surplus to requirements there). They are already subsidising a fair amount of his wages and there is no guarantee that this would be the case with a future loan of our request.
As it is we don't possess a top notch Championship quality right back so if a deal can be done for one of decent pedigree who is currently out of favour then it's worth doing - especially as we might get a bargain having done business with them already this season ;D

Toggles
31-01-2014, 05:53 PM

He's a decent player and if he can re-find old form he'd be an astute signing[/quote]

I'm still dubious of all the players who've ben frozen out at Wolves...

southernram22
06-02-2014, 06:20 PM
I think he may be seen as a squad player as I don't think freeman will be back.

swaledale
06-02-2014, 11:15 PM
If the deal comes off its recognition that we do need an experienced defender to provide cover at Cb and RB, .

I believe keane left because he wanted guaranteed first team football and clearly he didnt actually prove much when he had the chnace and McClaren isn't going to disturb a Cb partnership that works.

Left back is an issue - Forsyth is better going forward than defending and we have no obvious cover if he is injured.

StefanLee
07-02-2014, 01:24 AM
Kevin Foley is a very versatile player, he can play anywhere along the back-line and he can also play defensive mid or centre mid, he's known as a steady player nothing special like Wisdom but he's always consistent, until he had a pretty bad injury and since then he's found it hard to difficult to rediscover that form, but if we can get the old Foley back we could have a decent consistent versatile player which is very handy to have, that really sums Foley up to a tee.

Smiggo
07-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Not many CB pairings that work well are in teams that have conceded 40 goals after 29 games!

swaledale
07-02-2014, 12:53 PM
I dont disagree, our defence IMO is our weakest link as the stats suggest, but you work with what you have and seeing as we were worse off when Keogh was out it would seem silly to change.

To counter that I would say that a lot of the goals arent dwon to our Cb partnership, Forsyth is a weakness on the left defensively and the emphasis on attack means that the defence is left exposed, which is where a lot of the goals have resulted from.

McClaren knows this, hence he rarely seems to go to a defensive contain tactic, whereas Clough did used to do that with very mixed results.

Gift_of_the_Gabb
07-02-2014, 01:19 PM
I dont disagree, our defence IMO is our weakest link as the stats suggest, but you work with what you have and seeing as we were worse off when Keogh was out it would seem silly to change.

To counter that I would say that a lot of the goals arent dwon to our Cb partnership, Forsyth is a weakness on the left defensively and the emphasis on attack means that the defence is left exposed, which is where a lot of the goals have resulted from.

McClaren knows this, hence he rarely seems to go to a defensive contain tactic, whereas Clough did used to do that with very mixed results.

Agree with this. I think the CB's have done a decent job. I'm not a big fan of Keogh but he's ad some good games after his poor form at the start of the season.

I think it's more our style of play that leads to more goals conceded.