PDA

View Full Version : Rams business during Transfer window

swaledale
01-02-2014, 12:54 AM
For me McClaren has made sensible signings that provide cover where needed without upsetting the balance of the squad or landing us with long term liabilities.

IF we get promoted, then there is space to bring in players needed for the prem, IF we don't then he again he has the ability to make considered long term signings during the summer.

I guess cover at left back is the only glaring gap.

Bamford is an inspired signing and Thorne provides cover for Eustace.

sheffieldrams
01-02-2014, 01:05 AM
I dont think we have finished yet.The emergency loans window opens in a week. Nigel used to use this more than the normal transfer window.

Ozderby23
01-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Careful with the N word, for some posters they may want you cautioned for by-passing their swear filter.

Mickleover_Ram
01-02-2014, 10:17 AM
I am happy with the players Mac has brought in, but would of liked another defender esp with Keane going back to Manchester

Toggles
01-02-2014, 10:46 AM
Just a FB who could cover both sides short now I reckon.

Agree that if we go up, the loans (who don't want perm/renewing) could be replaced by a calibre of player we can't afford now, but if we don't go up I'd like to see 1 or 2 of them replaced by perm signings next year.

swaledale
03-02-2014, 08:06 PM
I agree we are a full back short, trouble is the quality of player required are not easy to find.

I'm not sure whats gone on with Keane but sure McClaren will source more cover if needed.

The summer provides a better opportunity to add to the squad, either for next years promotion push or...

Rattea
04-02-2014, 12:32 AM
Don't they say "Rent Is Dead Money"?
Isn't loaning a player like paying rent?

So for the last four or five years we have brought in "a number" of assets to the club with a view to a permanent deal. Some have more successful than others but look at Martin now! We have usually added a number of players that we can develop and build up assets to the club.

All we are doing now (odd exception) is loaning players who have no future at the club, the club cant develop and at the end of the season we will lose. Very short sighted it can easily be argued.

This is what the like's of Florest have been doing and many were slating 12 months ago. You really think this is the way forward?

We are not investing anything into the club to potentially build a foundation at the club doing this. Is this not a backward step all of a sudden?

triz
04-02-2014, 01:53 AM
I have to agree, im not a big fan of loans with no hopes of permanent moves like wisdom. I gave Mac the benefit of the doubt early in his reign as it was pre transfer window but it now im a bit more uncertain. Thats not to say i dont rate wisdom, we just seem to have too many loans tbh if we're looking long term. It'll be very interesting to see what schteve does in the summer.

Newhall_Ram71
04-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Its alright talking about foundations etc but there is another school of thought that there is no 'long term' in football, only the here and now.

Mac has used his contacts to bring in players like Wisdom, Dawkins and Bamford etc that have had an immediate and positive effect on the team and have been a big part of our resurgent form. I don't think we could have afforded to bring in players of this quality on permanent deals.

Its alright thinking long term, but if we had stayed in mid table obscurity once again, would our better players such as Bryson, Hughes, Keogh etc be lured away meaning we have to rip up the foundations and start again.

There was a complete feeling of apathy around the whole club towards the end of Nigel's tenure. That wasn't his fault, he'd just been around a long time and it didn't seem much progress was being made on the pitch.

Enter Mac, a couple of exciting loan signings and there is a buzz around Pride Park again. I'll happily take that even if the playe

blackandwhite56
04-02-2014, 09:13 AM
[quote="Rattea"?

So for the last four or five years we have brought in "a number" of assets to the club with a view to a permanent deal. Some have more successful than others but look at Martin now! We have usually added a number of players that we can develop and build up assets to the club.

All we are doing now (odd exception) is loaning players who have no future at the club, the club cant develop and at the end of the season we will lose. Very short sighted it can easily be argued.

This is what the like's of Florest have been doing and many were slating 12 months ago. You really think this is the way forward?

We are not investing anything into the club to potentially build a foundation at the club doing this. Is this not a backward step all of a sudden?[/quote]

Another seriously misleading post from you, Ratbag.

Your 4 or 5 years covers Clough's full time seasons - h

Rapid
04-02-2014, 09:37 AM
i don't think too many will be arguing if these 'dead money' loans get us to the promised land at the end of the season.

Gift_of_the_Gabb
04-02-2014, 10:12 AM
i don't think too many will be arguing if these 'dead money' loans get us to the promised land at the end of the season.

Very good business for me.

Mac came in after the transfer window shut so could not make signings until Jan, but he needed to strengthen so loans were the only way he could really do it.

We made Dawkins permanent in Jan, so a try before you buy if you like, again good business and something our former manager was praised for with Ward and Fielding.

We now only have four players on loan.

Whitbread
Bamford
Wisdom
Thorne

Whitbread is back up at CB as were are desperately short there so good business.
Wisdom is a class above Smith who went back to Spurs. We won't sign him but we desperately needed a solid RB and we can buy a right back in the summer so again great business.
Bamford we will never get him but he's the most natural goalscorer I have seen at the club for a long time again great business.
Thorne is

Gift_of_the_Gabb
04-02-2014, 10:23 AM
[quote="blackandwhite56"?

We are not investing anything into the club to potentially build a foundation at the club doing this. Is this not a backward step all of a sudden?[/quote]

Another seriously misleading post from you, Ratbag.

Yo

swaledale
04-02-2014, 10:03 PM
[quote="Rattea"?

They who say rent is dead money ignore the fact that in certain circumstances renting is the best option,