PDA

View Full Version : Defence at fault again.?

maroonie
01-02-2014, 05:58 PM
It's now nearly 4 seasons in charge for PS and we still haven't sorted out our defensive frailties. It's all very well to try to outscore the opposition but when it goes wrong, well we see the results. I posted in other threads that we really needed to bring in a central defender and our deficiencies in that area were exposed today . We are in a bad position now, not so much Great Escape as Mission Impossible. Still possible but we must stop shipping soft goals.

lifelonglichtie
01-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Completely agree with this. The defence basically gave ayr 3 goals of a start. It seems everyone but the manager can see the centre of our defence is a big problem but he has done absolutely nothing about it. Its been a problem since he took over. And as for the goalkeeper, how bad does he have to get before he is dropped. His performances deteriorate week on week; his kicking is always terrible but today he excelled himself. One word describes him today.. Shocking!
I said in a previous post that I dont think the manager is able/willing to sign the players we need to avoid the drop and today reinforced that view.

housecaptain
01-02-2014, 06:53 PM
That is my first game since we were beaten by Dunfermline and still see no improvement.I cannot see me being back for a long time.
As said elsewhere we lack a powerful central defender and the mid-field is non-existent.Time and again in the 2nd half the ball always fell to an Ayr player as we were sitting too far back.As for Morrison I think it is obvious who should be in goals for the next game.
If we drop into league 2 as now seems likely I and many others I spoke to to-day are of the same opinion.
Ultimately the man responsible is the man at the
helm.

housecaptain
01-02-2014, 07:31 PM
I made a mistake in my 2nd last sentence, which should have read that if we drop into league 2 we
are unlikely to return to league 1 and this was the opinion of everyone I spoke to.

ClashCityRocker
01-02-2014, 07:33 PM
There are still a lot of points still play for and East Fife, Brechin and Airdrie are all at the wrong end of the table with Arbroath.

Forfar doing alright, but a run of defeats and they will be in the relation zone as well.

We have just signed a few new players who need a few games to settle and will hopefully repay Sheerin's faith in them and start scoring goals.

Everyone agrees we need to sort out the defence - even the seagulls know this !!!

I think we will soon start a winning run.

maroonie
01-02-2014, 07:52 PM
I think we will soon start a winning run.
Is this based on some inside knowledge or just wishful thinking ?

Lichtielegend
01-02-2014, 08:06 PM
My biggest issue was that the last 2 weeks, we looked to have found a system that actually might be working.

We basically had Linn and Cook play up top, with freedom to drift wide and Chris Scott sitting off them and breaking into the spaces they left.

My worry with the arrival of McIntosh and McManus was that this would be changed and it came to happen. McIntosh played fairly well but the cohesion that seemed to have emerged in the last couple of weeks completely disappeared.

Mr_Refhater
01-02-2014, 08:28 PM
There will be no winning run, no matter how many we put in the opposition net, as long as we continue to hemorrhage at the back. We were able to outscore the opposition in past seasons, yet this is arguably the poorest team that Paul Sheerin has assembled.

Not just offensively as has been well documented on these pages, but more infuriatingly as a defensive unit. The left side of the defence is particularly vulnerable where Colin Hamilton's clearances and positioning is the pits. Alex Keddie is also the weakest player of the central pairings. Opposing teams know this. Michael Travis has not had a good season and I think it has become bloody obvious time and again that David Banjo lacks the all round game to play at right back. Christ he wasn't involved for much of last season as the gaffer didn't fancy him at the time!!!

Yes, it may take time for the new players to gel and admittedly there has been some visible improvement. However, none in defence! Ricky Little is a good player, bu

ectolichtie
01-02-2014, 08:30 PM
The defence is not great but the issue is the keeper who has cost us all season, he is and has never been good enough, he has "flogged" goals all over the place, but he does appear to have people who continue to back him, no more 2 goals today were down to him

Mr_Refhater
01-02-2014, 09:01 PM
To add, yes the officiating was absolutely f***ing s***e today but don't let that mask what was inept defending and outstandingly poor goalkeeping!!!

Time and again this season supporters have let loose - me included of course - on the officials and rest in the knowledge that they were to blame for the outcome. What! Face facts. You just can't defend like that and expect to win football games!

Yes, Mat Northcroft should have awarded a penalty in the first half. Yes, we deserved something for our first half efforts on goal. You make your own luck, but you can't legislate for disasters between the sticks. Yes, a goal was chalked off in the second period. Another, possibly over the line(?) was not given. Christ the referee was god bloody awful, the linesmen seem so f***ing unsure what the bloody rules of the game are. Yes, we seem to luck that ***** commodity that is called luck. Is everything going against us? I think not. Morrison doesn't concede those two howlers we win. Better, comp