PDA

View Full Version : Steve McClaren

Romanis
01-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Despite his failure at England, I've never really ever hated the guy. I think he's a very good coach.

He worked under Smith at Derby and Fergie at United with great success. He did a good job at Boro and Twente.

Perhaps he came in at Forest at a wrong time, where off field and boardroom events were causing too much grief on field.

I'm happy to see him earning a reprieve even if it's at Derby. He's a good coach like Don Howe, I'm still a bit apprehensive about his overall managerial ability but 1 thing's for sure he's no mug.

He's fortunate that he came in at Derby where there wasn't the pressure that Clough Jr had to endure - 5 years and he needed to show something. Without the pressure McClaren has shown he can do a good job.

Derby mustn't be foolish to discard with him, if they fail to go up this season (hopefully they don't ;D ). Clough had laid the foundations and he's building on it. Stick with him for a few seasons and I'm sure Derby too will go up.

We need to do the sam

essexred52
01-02-2014, 07:28 PM
We all know how much of a good coach he is, he is just at the wrong club ATM, he is using Derby to get a premier league job, I bet he will go to villa or somewhere like that ;)

RedSteve45
01-02-2014, 11:48 PM
i dont care where brolly man goes so long as its nowhere near the city ground

triz
02-02-2014, 12:53 AM
he's doing alright

but what a ****er eh steve? who puts a brolly up when its raining?

Trickytreesreds
02-02-2014, 12:59 AM
i dont care where brolly man goes so long as its nowhere near the city ground

I concur. It's funny that when he was here, the Derby faithful took delight in ridiculing him. Personally they was right, he didn't have a clue, just like when he managed England.
Funny how he's the messiah now?

Polish_ForestMad
02-02-2014, 09:49 AM
There was nothing but laughter coming from the sheep when he came to us.and it is funny how when he took over there he was a top bloke.i can also remember all the vids they put up showing off his new accent.lol.

dam617
02-02-2014, 11:22 AM
There is no doubt he's a good coach but what happened at Forest was a joke.
IMO a rush appointment and (the board hoped) a to placate the fans after the upcoming sacking of a manager who got us to sixth the previous season.
What is hard to work out is how a 'good coach' oversaw the signing the dross that came in (Reidy excepted)
I don't think we can blame him for the ridiculous contracts they were given though.
The Derby game at home is by far the most abject performance in a local derby we've ever seen - it was a watershed moment and set the ball rolling for Schteve's exit and ultimately Doughty's.

The irony is that the 'we only had ten men' game against McClaren's Forest shook this club to it's foundations and, so far so good, it's getting better and better.

Romanis
02-02-2014, 04:03 PM
There is no doubt he's a good coach but what happened at Forest was a joke.
IMO a rush appointment and (the board hoped) a to placate the fans after the upcoming sacking of a manager who got us to sixth the previous season.
What is hard to work out is how a 'good coach' oversaw the signing the dross that came in (Reidy excepted)
I don't think we can blame him for the ridiculous contracts they were given though.
The Derby game at home is by far the most abject performance in a local derby we've ever seen - it was a watershed moment and set the ball rolling for Schteve's exit and ultimately Doughty's.

The irony is that the 'we only had ten men' game against McClaren's Forest shook this club to it's foundations and, so far so good, it's getting better and better.

I think the players too were at fault they weren't giving him the commitment required.

But perhaps he too wasn't motivated enough