PDA

View Full Version : Goal Difference.

Rammer73
01-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Our goals against is the 8th worst in the championship surely we need a change in the CB position as that is the area that is the most concerning. We can score em but you have to stop them going at the other end! Even at 3-1 i thought we would concede. I haven't been this happy since the Jim smith days and i would hate to come up short in the auto's/Playoffs due to goals conceded. Thoughts?

Rammer73
01-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Sorry 17th worst. :s

triz
02-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Its not that simple i don't think mate. Although an improvement in centre backs is always welcome i think our style of play is a bigger factor in our goals against column. Buxton did an interview only the other day saying that he does want more clean sheets but the general team ethos is if they score 3 we'll score 4 (so we can blame the strikers for yesterdays result ;D ). Just look at our late subs they are nearly always attacking no matter what the score, we are an attacking team and that can often leave us short at the back.

tricky1972
02-02-2014, 09:27 PM
You could concede fewer by changing your style but as Triz says that's only part of the equation.

QPR are in the auto places, having conceded 20 goals fewer than you but they still have a worse goal difference.

Rammer73
03-02-2014, 12:19 PM
You could concede fewer by changing your style but as Triz says that's only part of the equation.

QPR are in the auto places, having conceded 20 goals fewer than you but they still have a worse goal difference.

Good point & in my eyes QPR are having a decent season but being so close to that last auto spot and to lose 2 points on saturday in the way that we did just highlights our problem at the back. Expectations high around derby at this moment in time and we need to capitalise whilst we can & 3 points would have really put the pressure on QPR monday. Weve conceded far to many stupid goals from corners & free kicks, its all about leadership & organisation, you look at the top 3 they all have big comanding center backs who do we have?

Smiggo
03-02-2014, 12:53 PM
With the obvious frailties in our defense I would not be surprised to see McClaren make use of the emergency loan market and bring in a striker and a defensive midfielder!

southernram22
08-02-2014, 12:04 PM
agreed defensive frailties is not the word.

Rob_the_Ram
08-02-2014, 12:59 PM
According to a recent interview with Steve, he said we "couldn't" play a defensive game.
He's assessed the squad he inherited, he's made his own changes and he is still of this opinion.

I'm not criticizing him, I'm just accepting that in his expert view, the squad he has relies on the best form of defence being attack.

This has, in the main, paid off this season but when we are up against the better sides we can't break down for fun, the odd goal is likely to be decisive and we won't always be the one's to get it.

A tight defence isn't only about the back 4 & GK, it relies on disciplined, skillful play maintaining high concentration by the whole team. Look at Bamford's error in giving the ball away in an advanced position leading to a goal against within seconds.

Saying all that, I'd rather see us playing expansive, attacking the way we are than adopting a more defensive style, especially if as said before, the head coach doesn't think we can.

Hopefully George Thorne will be an

Romanis
08-02-2014, 05:47 PM
If he can add to the defensive screen in front of the back four without our attacking play suffering, maybe that could be the difference. Lets hope so.

Let's hope NOT! :D ;D >:)

Rob_the_Ram
08-02-2014, 05:53 PM
If he can add to the defensive screen in front of the back four without our attacking play suffering, maybe that could be the difference. Lets hope so.

Let's hope NOT! :D ;D >:)[/quote]

Your right Romanis. We do struggle to hold onto a lead into the last few minutes unlike...
Wait a minute XD XD XD XD XD

southernram22
08-02-2014, 07:10 PM
lets face it romanis there is not much between our two clubs. we cant defend you cant score goals. neither are strong enough to survive in premiership .

Romanis
08-02-2014, 09:57 PM
lets face it romanis there is not much between our two clubs. we cant defend you cant score goals. neither are strong enough to survive in premiership .

That's probably true, but hey just for the fun of it, why shouldn't we. We'll struggle but it'll be a fun season nonetheless.

For sure we give you stick for the 11 points, but it was you who had the pleasure of going to places like OT, Anfield etc. This is really something when you live abroad like me, watching your team with fans of other clubs - playing in the top league and the whole world watching, it does bring a warm glow.

Even in your ill fated stay, you guys had a lot of fun, I recall your last match in the Prem, fans had inflated bananas and some kind of party going on in the stands, It was great fun, a great adventure just to have experienced it for a whole season. Am I right?