PDA

View Full Version : Maynard

camltoe
02-02-2014, 01:59 AM
Shouldn't form an opinion after just a couple of games, but so far, what the feck does he offer?

Read reports after his first game that he made intelligent runs but nobody saw him/has the ability to pick him out which made me wonder if I was watching the ball to much rather than watch his movement.

Watched him closely today, and if he was making runs, my jogging can be classed as sprinting (it can't) Doesn't look interested in the slightest, summed up by the ball played forward towards the north stand in the first half, back spin on it, so its trajectory slowed massively upon bouncing. He could have easily reached it, and unmarked, but he just stood and complained about the pass with the ball just about getting over the daed ball line.

Webbs21
02-02-2014, 09:54 AM
I've got to agree. He's done very little in both of the two home games I've seen him in. I watched him make his debut (and score) at Crewe years ago, and saw him in the next couple of seasons so I have a soft spot for him, but he is a totally different player now than he was then. When he was younger, he was full of energy and pace, running the channels, pressuring defenders, and threatening in behind (probably compare him to Shane Long). Now he appears to be in the Mauro Boselli mould, a penalty box only player. As in, if the ball isn't in the box, I'm not going to do very much!

Fortune would be on my team sheet as often as possible. I know he is in his 30s and might not be able to play a 58+ match season, but his by a million miles our most complete striker. Probably better than any striker we've had since Heskey, barring maybe Kone (strike rate vs overall leading the line debate).

timeofmylife
02-02-2014, 01:02 PM
To be fair, he's never a long striker. He's not the biggest & hes taking balls 30 years from goal with his back to it. The balls down the channels like Fortune had would be much more to hus style, playing on the shoulder