PDA

View Full Version : How can CUFC beat thw drop?

MillerforScotland
02-02-2014, 10:10 AM
If we score too early and fail to get the crucial second goal, we drop points (normally all three)
If we fail to score we naturally drop points (again, normally all three)
If we score once even late in a game and try and hang on for a one nil, we normally drop points.
Even the other night v. MK Dons, if we had conceded during our dozy spell, at 2 nil we would probably have been in trouble against a team that is in freefall. Good as it was on Tuesday, MK were there for the taking and we should have improved our goal difference on the night.
Our big danger this season is the fact that it is so tight at the bottom section of the league and we appear to have mislaid the ability to scrape points from key games..
6 or 7 wins and a few draws from our remaining fixtures is beginning to look a long shot for our fragile squad.

Makfox
02-02-2014, 10:34 AM
I think it's about finding four teams that are worse than us, I just don't think there are.

Stevenage look sh-te, as for the rest i'm not so sure.

That said, there will always be a team that capitulates, that looks like Bradford.

MillerforScotland
02-02-2014, 12:38 PM
I actually think it could be MK Franchise that go into freefall and we should be targeting them.
But as you say its very hard to think of 4 worse squads/teams than we have available at present.
I dread to think what will happen when we go to Meadow Lane for what could be a key game at the end of March. That will almost certainly be one that Abbott gets spot on!!:blue:

BOBATON
02-02-2014, 01:43 PM
I was feeling a bit uneasy going into yesterday's game in Bristol because I am far from convinced about transfer window activity in that we let 2 experienced players go in Livesey and Buaben and replaced them with two 19 year olds neither of whom had played a single minute in a Football League game until yesterday.
Surely we need some cover at centre back and left back? Did messages get crossed between Brunton Park and Old Trafford - we would like a centre back and a left back please - ok we have sent what you asked for, a midfielder and a striker.
Given O'Hanlon's injury history this season (where he can be ruled out after the pre-match warm up) what cover do we have for him outside the squad yesterday?
Edwards - is he still on the payroll?
Thirlwell - also injury prone?
And the look on Meppen-Walter's face after stretching for the very last tackle of the game didn't look good to me - maybe a hamstring.
As for the match at Bristol that brings a few more concerns - City are down there

Bagshot_Blue
03-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Bobaton's right re. centre-back cover. I have read that Kav is hoping to sign someone as an emergency loan, but surely that can only be a month at a time and doesn't that undermine our chance of uniting under one cause - survival??

This season has been a difficult one to watch. From the start it was clear that Greg hadn't sorted out the defence and forward line. Sadly, these two problem areas have headlined our season and have never been properly addressed, accept for the month we had the lad from Swindon which tied in to our best run and helped Kav get the job. I am, therefore, concerned with Kav's record of signings.

If we just write off his signings to date as done for short term gain i.e. survival, ok. However, given that we do survive how many players will we need to sign in the summer for Kav to be able to put out a better, more competitive team? Where do we get the funds to do this from? If we do get relegated that process of rebuilding becomes more difficult given our lack o

MillerforScotland
03-02-2014, 03:48 PM
"Generally OK" probably isn't good enough on most days at league one level.
I thought Fleming was ok against MK Dons, but had real fears for him at Bristol.
I feel Kavanagh will have to be hard nosed and punt him for this weeks game.
Bouzanis MUST be a better keeper.

Bagshot_Blue
03-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Fleming...I would agree, to suggest a player is generally ok isn't much of a declaration of support. So, to be fair to him, he isn't the obvious weakness in the defence. However, I would have Ben Amos back in a flash as I think he has been our best keeper this season.

Fleming has done well in a number of games but suffers like all of them from having no one to look to for leadership. Everyone in our defence is trying to keep on top of their game and has little time to manage that of the others. That was Danny Livesey's problem. He couldn't look beyond his own gutsy efforts to keep others in-line or to encourage or make sure the shape was correct. The lad from Swindon, Troy, was a leader and it showed. We need someone like that - fast. If we can get that type of defender all of the back four and keeper will gain in confidence and stop leaking silly goals.

But is there a defender out there like that and available at this point in the season??

sandpit
03-02-2014, 06:50 PM
By hard work and total commitment by those chosen to play at the time,otherwise forget it.

dcblue
05-02-2014, 10:07 AM
win some games...

dalmationblue
05-02-2014, 01:53 PM
a couple of Kev Grey's would help, Somebody who will shed blood for the cause. Not young pup's with no experience, and a bit of backbone from the senior player's at the club, And the powers that be realise that the situation is dire...>:(

sandpit
08-02-2014, 06:36 PM
Converting chances would help the cause.Simpson used to cry out for goals when he was in charge,it has long been a problem that is costing them,and on it goes sadly.