PDA

View Full Version : Stay or go?

maroonie
02-02-2014, 01:13 PM
It has been mentioned on another site that the boss will be here for the rest of the season unless he decides to leave voluntarily.
Where do the regular posters on here stand on this?.
Imo, with 4 new players brought in by PS and the transfer window now closed, we have to go with the present management.There are and will be good and sensible reasons for both schools of thought but it should be interesting to see how much support PS and SP still have.

broathrbest
02-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Absolutely no doubts STAY !

broathrbest
02-02-2014, 01:54 PM
On follow up , some people have very short memories Weir ,Mcglashan ,Cairney , Kirk to go back the last decade or so , drivel , and all faired much worse than the current management and never in such a financially fuelled division , i believe to still be in this league next season will be a good effort on our budget etc

ectolichtie
02-02-2014, 02:51 PM
Might as well stay, no obvious candidate to replace him, summer we start all over again whether we are in this league or not

timlichtie
02-02-2014, 03:03 PM
With only the last 50 years to go on, I'm still a fan of Sheerin and his teams. He tries to play good football and certainly entertains. No doubt he was initially fortunate to bring S****ie, Doris and Falky with him. His own fitness was better then, too.

It's a fair criticism that he doesn't concentrate enough on the dark art of defending. Yesterday's result again exposed his failure to bolster the centre of the defence.

Considering the options, I will happily stick with him even if we go down.

AFC1320
02-02-2014, 03:14 PM
No doubt in my mind STAY, we as Red Lichtie fans owe him and SP that after the entertainment and success they have brought to the club, I too am confident we will be in this league next season.

You could not judge anything on that game yesterday it was a farce both in the weather and the ref.

ClashCityRocker
02-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Sheerin should absolutely stay at Gayfield .

He is a young manager, still learning from his mistakes and like all new, young managers he has made a number of errors - but he has also brought the club a lot of success.

I think the club's short term game plan for this season is to avoid relegation.

Next season we can regroup, Sheerin will have time to access the playing squad and get ready for both decent cup runs and a squad to compete for the play offs.

It was never going to be easy having Rangers, Ayr and Dunfermline in the same league.

Almost all the other teams in the league will need to watch their backs as I think very soon we will start winning matches and closing the gap.

housecaptain
02-02-2014, 04:57 PM
In my opinion he should go if we do not stay up as he is NOT learning by his mistakes.At the end of last season he stated he had left it too late to sign players and he did exactly the same this season.Furthermore he should have released Bayne, Sibanda and Chisholm at the end of the season but held on to them.
How often did the former two feature throughout the first part of this season?The fact they were recently released proves my point.
As I have stated in the past it is the present that matters and any judgement should be based on that and at the moment we are playing very poorly and our league position underlines this.

ectolichtie
02-02-2014, 05:07 PM
In my opinion he should go if we do not stay up as he is NOT learning by his mistakes.At the end of last season he stated he had left it too late to sign players and he did exactly the same this season.Furthermore he should have released Bayne, Sibanda and Chisholm at the end of the season but held on to them.
How often did the former two feature throughout the first part of this season?The fact they were recently released proves my point.
As I have stated in the past it is the present that matters and any judgement should be based on that and at the moment we are playing very poorly and our league position underlines this.

if you are not happy stay home and watch "jeff"

SassenachSteve10
02-02-2014, 06:07 PM
If everyone who was not happy stayed at home gayfield would be empty every week

timlichtie
02-02-2014, 06:27 PM
If everyone who was not happy stayed at home gayfield would be empty every week

I enjoy Gayfield, win or lose, rain or shine. It's like fishing, you go for the fishing, not for the catching. If you catch something it's a bonus. If the Lichties win, its a major bonus!

smokie_bacon_crisps
02-02-2014, 06:29 PM
At least there would be no stream of abuse being hurled from the stands.

Our "Argentina" like performance against Rangers is hard to reproduce when half of the North Sea is blowing onto the pitch and the ball has the same attributes as a beach ball. Any team would struggle with those conditions.

SassenachSteve10
02-02-2014, 06:36 PM
That's . Probably why . I don't go fishing

housecaptain
02-02-2014, 07:03 PM
So ecolichtie thinks I should stay at home and watch 'jeff' whatever that is I do not know.
However I was not aware that this forum was run or had its roots in North Korea.
Why don't you ask the club to ban me for speaking out of turn?
I will be very interested in their reply.

ectolichtie
02-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Appears you have no sense of humour either, my mistake should have relised

Bellevue
02-02-2014, 08:12 PM
Housecaptain made some very valid points but instead of any proper argument about them, the "Must Not Criticise Sheerin" brigade tell him to stay at home. They need to waken up, we are relegation candidates whether they like it or not.
For the record, I don't believe changing the manager at this time would benefit the club, but can appreciate Housecaptain's point of view. And I don't doubt that he will continue to turn up and pay his money next season whatever league we are in.
As for "At least there would be no stream of abuse", utter rubbish, the vast majority of supporters do not hurl abuse, only a vocal minority do. And they are quite entitled to do it, because we live in a free society.

housecaptain
02-02-2014, 08:44 PM
Thanks for your support Bellvue good to know that decency still exists.
You hit the nail on the head when you stated that we are staring relegation in the face yet the Nero's are still playing their violins.

ectolichtie
02-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Never have I ever said that the manager is untouchable, but I do not see the point changing manager mid-season, with no obvious replacement, but there has been "rumblings" since this time last year about the managers position, the end of the season it will be the time to consider his future.

But there is very much a section of "Lichties" who do appear only to be happy when we are in trouble, and in fact "glory" in it, it is a disturbing trait that I do not see from the supporters of other clubs

maroonie
02-02-2014, 09:14 PM
C'mon guys let's not turn this into a slanging match. It was a serious question to find out the regular poster's views. Please confine your posts to answering the string title. Thanks.

Lichtielegend
02-02-2014, 10:33 PM
As has been mentioned, Sheerin is absolutely not learning from mistakes. This is made worse by the fact that he has acknowledged the mistakes he did make (not assembling his squad quick enough for season 12/13) before repeating them.

A common definition for insanity is for someone to do the same thing over and over yet expect different results. Sheerin is still trying to win games by purely relying on outscoring the other team but now doesn't have the superior squad he had 2 or 3 years ago.

If the playing budget is as low as people are suggesting, we should be building a team based on a solid defence. I can't think of many teams in the past that have punched above their weight (in terms of playing budget) who were built around scoring more than the opposition.

Mr_Refhater
02-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Stay.

Love and agree fully with the posts by Bellevue and housecaptain!!! Lichtielegend also makes very good points above. Ones that I myself have shared this season.

Don't ever get me wrong. I want and hope that Sheerin turns this round. Still, I'm amazed he is still in a job. He could and maybe should have gone weeks/months ago. Best of luck to him however, and I will continue to turn up game after game to support our team. There going to need it!

As for vocal criticism I'm no saint. I try my best to hold back. Thus, mainly aim abuse at the officials. But hey, I'm human and I want nothing but a Arbroath win each week. Also I appreciate and support the view raised by Bellevue and so if you don't mind I've quoted it below:

Bellevue: "the vast majority of supporters do not hurl abuse, only a vocal minority do. And they are quite entitled to do it, because we live in a free society."

AFC1320
03-02-2014, 12:13 AM
I have to laugh to some posters on here.
Some years ago they slagged a very good John McGlashan team who got results but never played "pretty" football but went up a league yet the same folk slag Sheerin's team for playing too much "pretty" football and not route one football??
There is an element of AFC fans out there that just want to MOAN an that is a fact.
Hen-Pecked sums them up, get a life and support the team FFS!

Lichtielegend
03-02-2014, 09:37 AM
In simplest terms, a manager will be judged on 2 things;

Results.
Performance/Style.

If a manager is getting both, the only critics will be those that are never satisfied. Sheerin's first 2 seasons are testament to that. We played with great style and won the 3rd and came fairly close to back-to-back titles.

Since then, results have tapered off. Last season our form wasn't great (a couple of big performances aside) and that has escalated this year.

In addition, the last few months have seen a drastic fall in performance level. There's a sense of irony in that given we lose so many goals from set-pieces, we are becoming quite reliant on them to score our own goals.

I see McGlashan's was raised. I thought he was treated poorly by some of the support. I don't have great knowledge of what our budget is like but I'd hazard a guess that McGlashan got us promoted on a significantly smaller relative playing budget. McGlashan's best season was with a front pairing of Bryan Scott and W

AFC1320
03-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Very good post LL; I doth my cap to you ;D

ectolichtie
03-02-2014, 06:30 PM
McGlashan wasted players with flair, the football was appalling and sore on the eyes, he lost almost everything when he walked down the touchline and confronted "Stadler and Waldorf", not cool

Lichtielegend
03-02-2014, 07:45 PM
McGlashan wasted players with flair.

Like who?

ectolichtie
03-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Scott Gates springs to mind started that season, sacrificed for appalling tactics, ball was just hoofed up to either Scott or Brazil, to chase