PDA

View Full Version : What now?

BileysThere
02-02-2014, 05:32 PM
It's now obvious that sacking Whitts and replacing him with a completely clueless nobody was wrong so where do we go from here, stick with Barker or look for another numpty?
As pointed out on other posts a 15000 average crowd raises too much pressure for the manager & the board.
Time to save lg status, reflect and go for it next season. Get somebody with experience and ideas in. FFS

chiblu
02-02-2014, 05:49 PM
The most important thing is to maintain our league status. Another drop and we can expect 5,000 crowds (if that). Time to own up to your mistakes dear Pompey board and put it right - if that means spending a few bob on a manager that has at least the fundamental ability - then so be it. It's too important to let this shambles continue.

PompeyScarf
02-02-2014, 05:50 PM
It's now obvious that sacking Whitts and replacing him with a completely clueless nobody was wrong so where do we go from here, stick with Barker or look for another numpty?
As pointed out on other posts a 15000 average crowd raises too much pressure for the manager & the board.
Time to save lg status, reflect and go for it next season. Get somebody with experience and ideas in. FFS

100% unrealistic rubbish.

He's only been here 2 months. He improved fitness that had gone to pot under nice-guy Whittingham. Barker deserves longer and needs longer to try and get some quality to the side.

PompeyScarf
02-02-2014, 05:52 PM
if that means spending a few bob on a manager

Where does this few bob come from then?

chiblu
02-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Well you wont mind watching conference football then. Many wont.

BileysThere
02-02-2014, 06:03 PM

100% unrealistic rubbish.

He's only been here 2 months. He improved fitness that had gone to pot under nice-guy Whittingham. Barker deserves longer and needs longer to try and get some quality to the side.[/quote]

He is out of his depth scarf, whittingham would have us ten points better off by now, trouble is too many wanted play off place at least and now all the fantastic work to save the club & keep lg status will be in vain.

PompeyScarf
02-02-2014, 06:12 PM
He is out of his depth scarf, whittingham would have us ten points better off by now, trouble is too many wanted play off place at least and now all the fantastic work to save the club & keep lg status will be in vain.

Whittingham was drowning - it was obvious from his last interviews. The team wasn't playing for him - they didn't respect him and therefore he was undermined. No way would we be 10 points better off under Guy. Any stats I've seen supporting GW are meaningless as he was close to being a broken man. For his health he had to go.

PompeyScarf
02-02-2014, 06:14 PM

Still waiting to hear where this "few bob" is coming from.

BileysThere
02-02-2014, 06:21 PM

Whittingham was drowning - it was obvious from his last interviews. The team wasn't playing for him - they didn't respect him and therefore he was undermined. No way would we be 10 points better off under Guy. Any stats I've seen supporting GW are meaningless as he was close to being a broken man. For his health he had to go.[/quote]

What health issues?
Are the team now performing?
Come on scarf nothing is better only worse.

PompeyScarf
02-02-2014, 06:57 PM
What health issues?
Are the team now performing?
Come on scarf nothing is better only worse.

In his last interviews he looked/sounded exhausted, exasperated and down. When people get like that they need a change or a break.

I don't expect the team to start performing yet. RB's only had 10 games and when he came in the fitness levels were shocking. Plus the ability and commitment of some is very questionable.

Barker wasn't my choice to come in. I think we'll stay up but only just.

chiblu
02-02-2014, 07:26 PM

Still waiting to hear where this "few bob" is coming from.[/quote]

Well the board reckoned we have not spent the budget that Whitts was promised - and 15,000 gates are above break-even. If we go down revenue drops dramatically. Are we to have no ambition then?

PompeyScarf
03-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Actually you're right - there should be a pot put aside should a manager be sacked.

Still think RB should have more time though. My alarms'll start ringing in 5 games time if things haven't improved one way or another.

betalucky
03-02-2014, 03:05 PM
We could probably, just about, fund a pot to urinate in, but that's about our limit at the moment. An emergency fund in case we need to sack two managers in the same season? Hardly likely.

midhurstblue
03-02-2014, 04:02 PM
We are now in a much worse position in the league than when Guy left.
Saturdays pathetic performance was the worst I have seen in 63 years of watching Pompey.

chiblu
03-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Saturdays pathetic performance was the worst I have seen in 63 years of watching Pompey.

A mere 60 years for me but I can't remember such a heartless gutless inept performance.

PompeyScarf
03-02-2014, 04:33 PM
An emergency fund in case we need to sack two managers in the same season? Hardly likely.

It's the kind of thing that should be there but...

We'd be no better off now if Guy was still in charge.

Jim
03-02-2014, 06:09 PM
I would disagree that things are worse. Barker's team is fitter and making far less mistakes at the back than Whittingham's team did.

We're not creating anything but people seem to forget that that happened under Whittingham's management too. We might nick a goal or two but since early in the season we are not a team that creates tons of chances.

What happens now? I believe that this team are capable of getting results on the road due to the style of play and they're going to need to pick some points up now because March's fixture list is a nightmare with four away games against the promotion contenders and Burton at home midweek.

The rest of this season is going to be a struggle but the players are not going to be helped if we get on their backs early on during home matches. Perhaps now is the time to do away with whatever expectations you may have of this team and back them like we have when the team has been in previous relegation battles.

Prinz_Eugen
03-02-2014, 09:02 PM

A mere 60 years for me but I can't remember such a heartless gutless inept performance.[/quote] I'll add my 58 years of watching Pompey in agreement of the above. They're not Pompey anymore, just fakes really. Even if we survive the lg, on this showing non-lg is a matter of time. A race to the bottom without a miracle. Sometimes I wish we'd folded and no Phoenix. What we've got is akin to a beloved parent with Alzheimer's. It's a one -way trip and we can't afford to do anything.

17thMay08
03-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Christ I wouldnt want to be in the trenches with you, you make it sound like we're 10 points adrift of staying up & we're about to be docked 20 points for not ripping the league up. We won't get relegated & next season we'll come back stronger

lovedeanblue
03-02-2014, 10:12 PM
[quote="Jim"]I would disagree that things are worse. Barker's team is fitter and making far less mistakes at the back than Whittingham's team did.

We're not creating anything but people seem to forget that that happened under Whittingham's management too. We might nick a goal or two but since early in the season we are not a team that creates tons of chances.

What happens now? I believe that this team are capable of getting results on the road due to the style of play and they're going to need to pick some points up now because March's fixture list is a nightmare with four away games against the promotion contenders and Burton at home midweek.

The rest of this season is going to be a struggle but the players are not going to be helped if we get on their backs early on during home matches. Perhaps now is the time to do away with whatever expectations you may have of this team and back them like we have when the team has been in previous relegation battles.

pompeygun
03-02-2014, 10:14 PM
[quote="Jim"]I would disagree that things are worse. Barker's team is fitter and making far less mistakes at the back than Whittingham's team did.

Corkhead
04-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Somebody will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong but I think we are in the same league position (18th) as when Guy left albeit having played more games than most teams. When you take that into account and our inability to perform at home I think we have slipped back a notch. Worrying.

However, the team has been rebuilt in double quick time, the defence has improved considerably and this inconsistent league, where anyone can beat anyone, still gives us the opportunity to take big strides up the table if we can just fashion a couple of wins. Desperate stuff but typical Pompey.

What happens now? A point at Exeter and a win against the Dons would be gratefully accepted. We live in hope.

Prinz_Eugen
04-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Christ I wouldnt want to be in the trenches with you, you make it sound like we're 10 points adrift of staying up & we're about to be docked 20 points for not ripping the league up. We won't get relegated & next season we'll come back stronger Mea culpa. I admit to a real moaning minnie of a post and was airing my despair some of which is shared by others of my vintage. There is as much talent in Pompey (not much) as there is in most of lg2 . What is missing is the Pompey passion. Everyone has been parachuted in and probably couldn't give a toss about this big club. I said elsewhere Bromley would beat this Pompey team and meant it. DC going doesn't inspire. Five years of downward spiral and no hope takes its toll. Sadly there's still no long-term hope. That's a fact, not defeatist. Understandable managerial deci

bluekriss66
10-02-2014, 09:14 AM
I'm just fed up with being down in the dumps at 10 to 5 on a Saturday...Still i live in hope for my beloved PFC.