PDA

View Full Version : Has the FA cup last it's fizz

essexred52
04-02-2014, 08:23 PM
I remember looking forward to the FA cup but these days it's without doubt lost its fun factor, I'm watching Fulham v Sheffield United and it like watching a pre season friendly, only the later stages of the competition seem more exciting, staying in the prem and fighting for league positions are more important these days it seems.

essexred52
04-02-2014, 08:25 PM
Lost not last :blue:

Trickytreesreds
04-02-2014, 08:30 PM
I remember looking forward to the FA cup but these days it's without doubt lost its fun factor, I'm watching Fulham v Sheffield United and it like watching a pre season friendly, only the later stages of the competition seem more exciting, staying in the prem and fighting for league positions are more important these days it seems.

Are they playing at Murder Lane? :?

Elite_Pie
04-02-2014, 08:35 PM
It certainly has for the top division. It used to be the second most sought after prize, but now the top half see it as a distraction, and the bottom half would rather take 17th place in the Premiership over an FA Cup win. The lower down the leagues you go, the fizzier the fizz becomes.

essexred52
04-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Must be a nightmare starting the FA cup in the 1st round a Elite? I don't miss those days one bit :), O/T a bit, I have a free house the wife and daughter are out this evening and I'm watching Fulham v Sheffield United, you watch this time tomorrow they will be at home giving me grief when Forest are on the box >:(

redredtree
04-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Whilst i still think the F.A. Cup is still a great competition and still has a certain magic about it, especially in the early rounds when the minnows have a chance of glory, i think it has lost some of it's appeal to people. I remember wanting to stay in on cup final day to watch all the build up and the match, no matter who was playing. Can't say i am bothered now so much, i can take it or leave it. I do,however, enjoy watching the early rounds, just because that is what the F.A. cup stands for, a chance for the smaller clubs etc. I also think playing the semi-finals at wembley took much of the tradition away from the competition. It is a shame that things change, but that is progress i suppose. having said all this, it is still a great cup competition and every team that plays in it should treat it with the respect it deserves, which i fear, some teams do not.
Let's hope tomorrow nights match is played in true F.A. Cup spirit, as long as we win!!!;D

Romanis
04-02-2014, 10:33 PM
[quote="redredtree"]Whilst i still think the F.A. Cup is still a great competition and still has a certain magic about it, especially in the early rounds when the minnows have a chance of glory, i think it has lost some of it's appeal to people. I remember wanting to stay in on cup final day to watch all the build up and the match, no matter who was playing. Can't say i am bothered now so much, i can take it or leave it. I do,however, enjoy watching the early rounds, just because that is what the F.A. cup stands for, a chance for the smaller clubs etc. I also think playing the semi-finals at wembley took much of the tradition away from the competition. It is a shame that things change, but that is progress i suppose. having said all this, it is still a great cup competition and every team that plays in it should treat it with the respect it deserves, which i fear, some teams do not.
Let's hope tomorrow nights match is played in true F.A. Cup spirit, as long

ruddyforest
05-02-2014, 12:13 PM
As much as I want promotion to the premier league and this is the priority... I would still love a trip to wembley in the FA Cup Final ( hopefully not a dress rehearsal for the play off final as I am praying that we could sneak 2nd place). Millwall made the final a few years ago as a championship side. I think Fawaz would be one proud chairman walking out at wembley... we can dream can't we?! :D

RedOno
05-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Don't the FA Cup winners go into European competition the following season. Surely that's a target worth aiming for.

essexred52
05-02-2014, 06:30 PM
Don't the FA Cup winners go into European competition the following season. Surely that's a target worth aiming for. True. Wigan

Romanis
05-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Don't the FA Cup winners go into European competition the following season. Surely that's a target worth aiming for.

The winners or the losing finalists (if the winner has already qualified for the CL). If the winner also qualified for the Europa League, it will qualify as the cup winner, with it's league qualifying position going to the next highest finisher in the Prem

Romanis
05-02-2014, 10:12 PM
On the basis of tonight's match, I think we have the answer for the thread starter

i961pie
05-02-2014, 11:32 PM
The trouble is there aint many real giant killings anymore, when a minnow wins it is usually against some teams reserves or kids.