PDA

View Full Version : Will the Exeter game go ahead

tamarblue
04-02-2014, 09:26 PM
We are currently getting battered down here with gales and rain coming in sideways and no let up till Friday and more predicted on Saturday . Already had to clear a couple of blown down trees from the road and with the high tide and huge waves battering Kingsand and Cawsand the emergency services are are clearing residents from the sea front homes. Mind you half of them are second homes so no one will be at home and it'll be a while before they find out what damage has been done to their holiday homes, what it is to have a thriving village.
Oh well time for a cup of tea and wait for the next call.
And the rest of you batten down the hatches there's a storm coming your way

lovedeanblue
04-02-2014, 09:45 PM
14000 homes in the south west reportedly without power plus train passengers being advised not to travel west of Exeter. Your area is getting a battering

pfcsteve72
04-02-2014, 09:49 PM
After your report Tamar, i'd say it's a big fat NO

fairy1980
04-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Well they have just cancelled all trains in that area from 2100 tonight.

lovedeanblue
04-02-2014, 09:51 PM
No surprise they have massive problems around Dawlish I believe

pfcsteve72
04-02-2014, 09:53 PM
We are currently getting battered down here with gales and rain coming in sideways and no let up till Friday and more predicted on Saturday . Already had to clear a couple of blown down trees from the road and with the high tide and huge waves battering Kingsand and Cawsand the emergency services are are clearing residents from the sea front homes. Mind you half of them are second homes so no one will be at home and it'll be a while before they find out what damage has been done to their holiday homes, what it is to have a thriving village.
Oh well time for a cup of tea and wait for the next call.
And the rest of you batten down the hatches there's a storm coming your wayAlready battering my house in Portchester, only just recently spent 300 quid on new fences and gravel boards, the wind blowing up through Portchester creek is very strong, might be missing a few roof tiles by the morning.

chiswickmart
05-02-2014, 08:45 AM
My Missus is due to be running a coastal half marathon in Kingsbridge (between Exeter and Plymouth) on Saturday morning. Picked a good weekend for it!!

Not sure that will be on either.

BileysThere
05-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Pretty bad here in West Kerry too, my roof is missing around a hundred slates since saturday, the loss assessor won't be out till friday, my beloved previously immaculate landcruiser has been peppered with deep scratches from said slates and it's still blowing a mare. At least we still have power. :blue:

tamarblue
05-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Still blowing here although it has died down a bit from last night. What a night it was. Spent all day with a chainsaw clearing paths around the site but have bearly scratched the surface. We must have around 100 large trees down and with worse weather predicted on Saturday it's going to be a busy couple of weeks with the chainsaw. At least I can start storing firewood for next winter. As for Kingsand and Cawsand, you may have seen it in the news, looks like their going to loose the institute and the clock tower on the front as it's foundations have be washed away at one end and several of the houses are now full of stones, seaweed and sand.
But getting onto whether the match will go ahead, I noticed that their reserve match(don't know what this reserve stuff is all about, strange concept) got cancelled last night due to water logged pitch.

pfcsteve72
05-02-2014, 10:05 PM
I was working in Weymouth today, and the wind and rain there was horrendous, we drove along the sea front and the waves were crashing on to the beach, there was a media crew trying report on the waether and they were getting blown to bits, not experienced winds that strong for a long time.:s

lovedeanblue
07-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Exeter are bringing in Somerset CC's "blotter machine", completely with the cricket club's head groundsman in an effort to clear water off the pitch tomorrow morning. I wish them well in their efforts

OhWell
07-02-2014, 01:01 PM
The problem is the machine could be blown away by the storm of the century, expected to hit the south-west tomorrow.

A deep low Atlantic pressure system miles of the UK coast will whip up 150mph winds and violent sea surges as it barrels into the country.

At its centre the intense storm will see pressure drop to just 944mb - seven millibars LOWER than the Great Storm of 1987.

Experts said the worst of the weather is due to set in tonight before a relentless onslaught of wind and rain over the weekend.

They warned communities to prepare for trees to be torn from the ground, roofs ripped from buildings and the flooding crisis to dramatically deteriorate.

Meteorological projections show winds of 12 on the Beaufort scale - Hurricane force - hitting the west coast.

mothman
08-02-2014, 08:50 AM
The jet stream is bringing in the storm over the Atlantic at 150mph, but the winds will not get that high over land. The most will be gusts of 60-70 mph. I would think that the wind will in fact help to dry the surface out. Depends on how much rain they get down there.

OhWell
08-02-2014, 10:42 AM
New flood alerts for the South West:

Large swathes of England and Wales are on flood alert today as yet another storm with winds of up to 70mph arrives to batter Britain.

The crisis-hit Somerset Levels where many residents have already been forced from their homes after weeks of heavy rain remain at the highest risk of continued flooding.

The Environment Agency also highlighted the coastline of Devon and Dorset as being at "significant risk" of new flooding as high tides and winds arrive.

The storm will move north-eastwards bringing with it winds of up to 70mph and heavy showers throughout today, weather forecasters MeteoGroup said.

The highest risk of flooding will be around lunchtime.