PDA

View Full Version : Kernow..

PapaLazarou
05-02-2014, 09:55 AM
How's things down your neck of the woods ? Watching the news, it looks like the coast is taking a right pounding - hope you haven't been badly affected..

Been checking out a few pictures of the Watering Hole - the place looks like it's just about hanging on, but with more rain, high tides and ferocious winds to come, I wonder for how long.

And I noticed that their webcam is down - do hope that's not a bad sign.. :s

http://i58.tinypic.com/n6rtxv.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/c2sn5.jpg

kernow
05-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks mate. Things are bad, floods, power cuts, fallen trees, no train service west of Exeter due to the track being washed out at Dawlish.
Fortunately not directly affected personally.

More depressions on the way in, each deeper than the last so it's only getting worse. The wind is veering north west which should give the south coast some relief for a while.

I'm afraid the Watering Hole has been abandoned and stripped of anything of value that can be carried (including the webcam probably). High tides tonight so I'm afraid it's time has probably come to an end. :blue:

PapaLazarou
05-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Sounds very bad; terrible for those that are affected, but glad to hear you and yours have been spared the worst.

On a purely selfish note, I'll be gutted if the WH bites the bullet - along with the sands, it's one of the main reasons we head to that part of the world 2 or 3 times a year..

saintwayne
05-02-2014, 12:38 PM
I've never known a period of wet weather like we've had this supposed winter, it's awful here again atm and I feel really sorry for anyone affected by it. Saturday in particular looks bad too, the football might not be pretty.

PapaLazarou
05-02-2014, 12:52 PM
..the football might not be pretty.

It's Stoke..

It could be played in temperatures approaching 30 degrees, amid deep blue cloudless skies and still the football wouldn't get close to being 'pretty'.. :D

kernow
05-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Could be worse. Working in Exeter on Saturday means no Saints match. May be reduced to watching the local heroes v the plucky few if it's not postponed.

On the other hand I might just go home if I finish early.

Joffyw
05-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Sadly with Stoke playing there will always be one little cloud in the sky, approx 40cm in diameter and covered in nike logo's XD

Do feel for those flooded, especially those that have been since Christmas Day, i hope they get a break soon.

Here in the north of the county it's not been too bad but with the sodden ground any high winds are likely to bring a few more trees down.

Joffy Jnrs games already cancelled for the coming weekend, only played once since Christmas. For youth football i don't know why they don't run the season from March through to June/July, this time of year if its not called off for water logged ground then it's either frozen or snowed under.

PapaLazarou
05-02-2014, 01:27 PM
JJ's footy is a bit like my golf, Joffers - I've only managed to get two games in since Christmas.. :s

It seems that it's OK during the week, before lashing down on Friday night which results in course / hole closures over the weekend. Was hoping this weekend might be different, but it's not looking promising..

chiswickmart
05-02-2014, 01:34 PM
JJ's footy is a bit like my golf, Joffers - I've only managed to get two games in since Christmas.. :s

It seems that it's OK during the week, before lashing down on Friday night which results in course / hole closures over the weekend. Was hoping this weekend might be different, but it's not looking promising..

What kind of rubbish municipal do you play on then? Course/green closures??? I don't understand. My course is playable but go off the fairways and you're in a bog!! Greens holding up surprisingly well.

Our greenkeeper put together a chart showing the rainfall in Dec/Jan for the last 4 years. The 2013/14 effort comfortably accounts for the other 3 put together and in an average year would equal something like 58% of total rainfall. And that was before the carnage of the last week.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2mgtl7c.jpg

Joffyw
05-02-2014, 02:44 PM

Cast your mind back to the 5th August last year, is that when all this started as boy did it come down that day. The most local of courses to me have all suffered badly, in fact i heard Hartley Wintney has had several holes shut for most of the winter already. It's no ones fault but with no play or pro-rata refunds i can see alot of members not renewing.

PapaLazarou
05-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Cast your mind back to the 5th August last year, is that when all this started as boy did it come down that day.

I remember it well, mate - Armageddon for a few holes and had me wondering what on earth we were doing out there !

Cost-wise, it does start to get expensive - my membership is not cheap and, whilst I don't play as much during the winter months, having closures week after week starts to make a big difference in the overall cost per round.

Pentridge
05-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Stay safe K.

PapaLazarou
05-02-2014, 03:58 PM
I'm afraid the Watering Hole has been abandoned and stripped of anything of value that can be carried (including the webcam probably).

I have since read that the place has been stripped, not because of the impending storm but because the place is undergoing a bit of a refurb - the owner's son was having a bit of fun on Twitter with his Doomsday prophesies, apparently.

And I see the webcam is back online - not that it shows much at the minute..

http://i57.tinypic.com/23s7v6e.jpg