PDA

View Full Version : O/T Dawlish Sea Wall..

DorsetGoldandBlack2
06-02-2014, 02:25 PM
I know there are a few railway people on here so I sure they will be as saddened as me to see one of the...no,THE best bit of railway in the country almost destroyed by the rough sea and high winds..
To make it more horrible a good mate of mine and fellow Wolves fan Neil Jones, lives in Dawlish,actually in the houses affected. Heres an article from the Guardian with Neil in his Wolves track suit top..He was, along with his family evacuated because of the danger.. - view external link (http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/feb/05/dawlish-seafront-evacuated-unbelievable-storms)

DorsetGoldandBlack2
06-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Heres a better picture of the damage.. Neil lives in one of the houses on the right... - view external link (https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/431107854989541377/photo/1)

wolves71
06-02-2014, 03:35 PM
There was a thread on molineux mix about the Wolves fan yesterday. I wouldn't wish what's happened on him or anyone else.

There's a video below showing the damage in link below. I always find it amazing that the government of this country are always quick to respond to disaster abroad, but ever since flooding at the end of last year, it's only now they stand up and take notice.

Here's your picture Dorset that you tried to put up in post #2

http://i57.tinypic.com/1zgwy2x.jpg - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26064363)

DorsetGoldandBlack2
06-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Thanks 71... I just said to Neil well at least you saved your Wolves top!!!

wolves71
06-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Thanks 71... I just said to Neil well at least you saved your Wolves top!!!

No problem.. with situations like he has, a little bit humour helps. He can eventually replace possessions. I was watching a clip they showed on Sky News yesterday of the track, ones with how trains used to travel and then how the storms crashed against and damaged the walls and how all the foundations below were washed away, the track was hovering up and down. I wish your friend well.

Woking88
06-02-2014, 08:49 PM
I hope they can save his house! :(

Evewolf65
06-02-2014, 09:14 PM

Looking at that picture that looks pretty much like 'game over' for that terrace of houses and the railway is gonna deffo have to take another route!:blue: :O

wolves71
06-02-2014, 10:12 PM
Reading between the lines and what network rail have been saying, a minimum of six weeks to get the track all sorted.

Robus
07-02-2014, 12:05 AM

Looking at that picture that looks pretty much like 'game over' for that terrace of houses and the railway is gonna deffo have to take another route!:blue: :O[/quote]

Hard to see a way to save the houses, sadly. None that makes any sense. Rebuild the railway on piles, maybe?

theplater
07-02-2014, 12:12 AM
The nature of my job has allowed me to travel on many of the UKs rail tracks and this stretch has to be one of the most spectacular. There are a few lines that run close to the coast of this land but I think this stretch is unique in that it is possibly the only stretch which is a mainline route.

This is one of the saddest sights amongst many in this part of the country due to the extreme weather but I feel just as much anger as pity seeing sights such as this. There have been warnings for years that this was likely to happen and the necessary authorities have simply ignored them.

I really hope this line can be repaired so it can be enjoyed and appreciated by others for years to come but, like Eve, I fear a new line inland might end up being the long term answer.

I feel sad and sorry for Neil, and all the others who have lost their homes and livelihoods through this disaster.

WOODLANDSWOLF
08-02-2014, 12:53 AM
When I was a kid we used to go down to Paignton on the train every year on holiday. The moment when the train burst out of the last tunnel and onto the Gawlish sea wall was just magical. The sun was always shining, the sand gold, the sea magnificent and there were hundreds and hundreds of people doing what I would be doing about two hours later. Building sand castles!

Many childhood memories washed away.:blue:

tiptonwolf
08-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Hugh,hugh mistake to close the Teign Valley line in 1967.
It ran from Exeter to Newton Abbott via Christow and Chudleigh through the South Devon hills,thus avoiding the vulnernable coast route between Dalish Warren and Teignmouth.
This landslide was always an accident waiting to happen,and its a miracle it took so long,before the sea wall finally collapsed.
Just a lack of common sence and fortitude,otherwise the pathway to Plymouth and Cornwall would have remained open

Woking88
14-02-2014, 05:43 PM
I know there are a few railway people on here so I sure they will be as saddened as me to see one of the...no,THE best bit of railway in the country almost destroyed by the rough sea and high winds..
To make it more horrible a good mate of mine and fellow Wolves fan Neil Jones, lives in Dawlish,actually in the houses affected. Heres an article from the Guardian with Neil in his Wolves track suit top..He was, along with his family evacuated because of the danger..

I see, on the news, that they are cracking on with getting this rebuilt. have you had any feedback from Neil about his house or any other news on the situation?

WOODLANDSWOLF
14-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Hugh,hugh mistake to close the Teign Valley line in 1967.
It ran from Exeter to Newton Abbott via Christow and Chudleigh through the South Devon hills,thus avoiding the vulnernable coast route between Dalish Warren and Teignmouth.
This landslide was always an accident waiting to happen,and its a miracle it took so long,before the sea wall finally collapsed.
Just a lack of common sence and fortitude,otherwise the pathway to Plymouth and Cornwall would have remained open

Why are you blaming Hugh [whoever he is} for closing the line, I thought it was Dr Beeching?

XD X-D

Sorry Tippo I just couldn't resist it. Don't worry mate I make mistakes all over the place!;D ;-D

WOODLANDSWOLF
14-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Breaks your heart don't it? :blue:

http://i60.tinypic.com/25u485e.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/2d921it.jpg

tiptonwolf
15-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Sorry mate,only just noticed.
What a huge plonker.:D

DorsetGoldandBlack2
15-02-2014, 01:38 PM
To make it more horrible a good mate of mine and fellow Wolves fan Neil Jones, lives in Dawlish,actually in the houses affected. Heres an article from the Guardian with Neil in his Wolves track suit top..He was, along with his family evacuated because of the danger..

I see, on the news, that they are cracking on with getting this rebuilt. have you had any feedback from Neil about his house or any other news on the situation?[/quote]

Neils still not back in his home .. some of the families were allowed back but after yesterdays storm the containers put in to protect the damage from getting worse were themselves damaged so they were evacuated again...
Time lapse video below of wo

Woking88
15-02-2014, 02:21 PM

I see, on the news, that they are cracking on with getting this rebuilt. have you had any feedback from Neil about his house or any other news on the situation?[/quote]

Neils still not back in his home .. some of the families were allowed back but after yesterdays storm the containers put in to protect the damage from getting worse were themselves damaged so

Snetterwolf
19-02-2014, 03:25 PM
I too have spent many a holiday in Dawlish and Dawlish Warren and have walked accross the sea wall from one to the other many many times. The trains running so close to the beach also a spectacular sight and many kids whooping with delight and waving as they passed by. What a tragic sight now and I wish Neil all the best x

Woking88
01-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Dorset - any news on your mate's house and how things are progressing down there. Do you know when the line will re-open?

DorsetGoldandBlack2
01-04-2014, 09:27 PM
The line will reopen this Friday...dont think theres any special train laid on so the first train is the 05.34 from Exeter To Piagnton I think..Network Rail say they just want it open which I can understand..
As for Neil I only found out the weekend that he wont be moving back there.. they were put in house inland and they are happier there with a young family.Theres still loads to do rebuilding the road and the house that collapsed but the line was top of list to do.

Theres a brilliant web cam covering the Dawlish sea wall just started.. really good quality stream..Link below, if anybody interested - view external link (http://new.livestream.com/accounts/7425864/events/2884489)

WOODLANDSWOLF
01-04-2014, 09:35 PM
The line will reopen this Friday...dont think theres any special train laid on so the first train is the 05.34 from Exeter To Piagnton I think..Network Rail say they just want it open which I can understand..
As for Neil I only found out the weekend that he wont be moving back there.. they were put in house inland and they are happier there with a young family.Theres still loads to do rebuilding the road and the house that collapsed but the line was top of list to do.

Theres a brilliant web cam covering the Dawlish sea wall just started.. really good quality stream..Link below, if anybody interested

Cheers Dorset, great stuff.:) :-)

TundraWolf
01-04-2014, 09:39 PM
Happy for your friend, Dorset, at least the whole family is safe and together!

DorsetGoldandBlack2
01-04-2014, 09:47 PM
I was going to say it wouldnt be any good now but try it again in 10 hours or so.. its brilliant..

The steam trains start again soon Woodlands so you can watch them go down the sea wall then watch my video of them!!

WOODLANDSWOLF
01-04-2014, 11:09 PM
I was going to say it wouldnt be any good now but try it again in 10 hours or so.. its brilliant..

The steam trains start again soon Woodlands so you can watch them go down the sea wall then watch my video of them!!

Believe me it will be running permanently on my laptops both at the house and at the office.
Bring it on.:D :-D

Woking88
02-04-2014, 10:27 AM

Theres a brilliant web cam covering the Dawlish sea wall just started.. really good quality stream..Link below, if anybody interested

Thanks for the update, Dorset. Good to know it's all positive news.

Thanks for the link, I have put that on my favourites and will be looking at that with interest! :D

wolf1778
02-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Great news that it re-opens this week. I was a bit worried about getting to the Newton Abbot Beer Festival at the end of the month!!!!

Woking88
05-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Success - I have just seen a train come through on the live cam! :)

DorsetGoldandBlack2
10-04-2014, 02:13 PM
If anybody missed the steamer going down to Kingswear.. heres the video taken off the Web Cam... - view external link (http://new.livestream.com/dawlishbeachcam/April2014/videos/47647742)

WOODLANDSWOLF
10-04-2014, 02:22 PM
If anybody missed the steamer going down to Kingswear.. heres the video taken off the Web Cam...

Wonderful, but I thought it was going to happen on Friday the tenth. Lost the plot here a little bit.:s

wolves71
10-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Dawlish railway: Time-lapse shows two months of repairs in two minutes..

A good video of the the repairs and rebuild below. - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26257117)

DorsetGoldandBlack2
10-04-2014, 03:29 PM
If anybody missed the steamer going down to Kingswear.. heres the video taken off the Web Cam...

Wonderful, but I thought it was going to happen on Friday the tenth. Lost the plot here a little bit.:s[/quote]

Thursday the 10th Woody!! Its due to set off from Kingswear at half 4 so will be past the camera at 17.36.. 1 hour and 6 mins from...NOW

Heres the link to follow it... - view external link (http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U53079/2014/04/10/advanced)

WOODLANDSWOLF
10-04-2014, 03:37 PM

Wonderful, but I thought it was going to happen on Friday the tenth. Lost the plot here a little bit.:s[/quote]

Thursday the 10th Woody!! Its due to set off from Kingswear at half 4 so will be past the camera at 17.36.. 1 hour and 6 mins from...NOW

Heres the link to follow it...[/quote]

Cheers mi owd c ock! Got it covered.:D :-D

Woking88
10-04-2014, 03:44 PM

Thanks DGB2, I really enjoyed that. Great to see all the people waving and entering into the spirit of things - at least some people are enjoying life! :)

DorsetGoldandBlack2
10-04-2014, 04:06 PM
There was a BBC TV crew there so may be on TV tonight..

Woking88
17-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Here is a new link to the live cam. I have made a donation as it is just priceless to be able to look at the sea now, even though I am about 50 miles from it at the nearest point. The trains are a bonus, the view of the sea is what appeals to me! :) - view external link (http://www.dawlishbeach.com/live/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18)

TundraWolf
17-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Thanks for doing that, Wokes, incredible all the area has gone through this past year and yet how peaceful it looks today! Quite a contrast from the early pictures above!

Woking88
17-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Thanks for doing that, Wokes, incredible all the area has gone through this past year and yet how peaceful it looks today! Quite a contrast from the early pictures above!

My pleasure, Tundra. I have joined the Railcam Watch and Chat site - it is free to join. I had hoped for some more of the same, but the other webcams are not so interesting, unless you are seriously into trains, which I am not to that extent. Anyway, you can judge for yourself. Link below:- - view external link (http://www.railcam.org.uk/watchmulti.php)

Woking88
17-05-2014, 05:15 PM
The train tracker at the bottom of the picture is fairly easy to get the hang of. The trains tend to lag behind the indication a little bit, but at least you get to know when one is coming!

Woking88
17-06-2014, 12:28 PM
I have to say this has got me hooked! :D

Use the 'Train tracker' in the drop down on the left to see when a train is due. There is a slight delay between the two. - view external link (http://www.dawlishbeach.com/live/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18)

DorsetGoldandBlack2
01-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Just a heads up for all you steam fans... this Sunday there are two steam hauled trains past the web-cam at Dawlish..
The Royal Duchy with Black 5 45407 at approx 11.04 and back at 19.56 and The Torbay Express with 5029 Nunney Castle at approx 11.30 and back at 17.42..
There is a full rake of Chocolate and Cream coaches behind 5029 so it will be just like the 50s!!

WOODLANDSWOLF
01-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Just a heads up for all you steam fans... this Sunday there are two steam hauled trains past the web-cam at Dawlish..
The Royal Duchy with Black 5 45407 at approx 11.04 and back at 19.56 and The Torbay Express with 5029 Nunney Castle at approx 11.30 and back at 17.42..
There is a full rake of Chocolate and Cream coaches behind 5029 so it will be just like the 50s!!

Thanks for the heads up mate.

Woking88
01-07-2014, 04:59 PM

Thanks DGB2. The webcam has become quite a thing in our house as, with the 'train tracker', you can find out what is coming and when.

We often have a look early in the morning to see the sea state and weather down there.

DorsetGoldandBlack2
02-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Woking..reporting numbers to watch out for on the train tracker are 1Z37 for Duchy heading West and 1Z39 heading East.
For the Torbay Express its 1Z27 going West and 1Z28 back East..

Woking88
02-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Woking..reporting numbers to watch out for on the train tracker are 1Z37 for Duchy heading West and 1Z39 heading East.
For the Torbay Express its 1Z27 going West and 1Z28 back East..

Thanks mate. If I'm in I shall be having a look for them.

Incidentally, the picture on full screen seems a bit 'fuzzy' in places compared with how it was. Have you noticed any picture deterioration of late?

DorsetGoldandBlack2
03-07-2014, 01:12 PM
I have noticed it sometimes..the owner of the cam regulary reboots it if its poor quality..theres a forum you can let him know on there ..he keeps an eye on it for reports of poor quality.

Woking88
03-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Thanks for that, mate. I will give it a go as I have registered.

Woking88
03-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Have logged in but can't seem to post. Any chance you can get a message through DGB2?

DorsetGoldandBlack2
03-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Posted a message on there Wokes..maybe you need to log off then on again to post??

Edit...Had a reply almost straight away..

Hi Nick, the system is running at reduced rate not HD at the mo as Neil is testing with the new stream providers ready for the change from Livestream

Woking88
03-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Posted a message on there Wokes..maybe you need to log off then on again to post??

Edit...Had a reply almost straight away..

Hi Nick, the system is running at reduced rate not HD at the mo as Neil is testing with the new stream providers ready for the change from Livestream

Thanks for that. At least I now know something is being done about it! :)

Woking88
04-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Doesn't seem to be working at all at the moment, Nick. Any ideas what's happening?

DorsetGoldandBlack2
04-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Dont know if you are on Facebook Wokes ..theres a page that the owner posts whats happening (link below)..this was on today..

There will be ongoing testing by our new service provider today. Please expect drop outs and streaming issues.

Hope its working for Sunday!! - view external link (https://www.facebook.com/dawlishbeach)

Woking88
05-07-2014, 12:51 AM
Web page wouldn't load, Nick, but will try again tomorrow.

Woking88
05-07-2014, 01:02 AM
I think that my wife is more hooked on this than I am, but I have found it very addictive and great fun! :D

wolves71
05-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Dont know if you are on Facebook Wokes ..theres a page that the owner posts whats happening (link below)..this was on today..

There will be ongoing testing by our new service provider today. Please expect drop outs and streaming issues.

Hope its working for Sunday!!

Here you go. - view external link (http://www.facebook.com/dawlishbeach)

Woking88
05-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Thanks for that, Gav - you are a star :star:

Very much appreciated and it also explains why there have been problems;

"We are back. Sorry for the delay. We had a power outage in Dawlish yesterday and the battery backup ran out before the power came back. I've only just been able to get to Dawlish to start the server up."

PS - I have bookmarked that url, thanks.

wolves71
05-07-2014, 03:09 PM
It's no different to what i've pointed out before regarding https and http in the same URL.

Woking88
05-07-2014, 03:30 PM
I must remember to get my mindset to check that! In the meantime I will take myself outside and give myself a damned good thrashing for not spotting it - that'll teach me! :O

DorsetGoldandBlack2
05-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Sorry guys, I should have spotted the extra s in the link..me and modern Technology dont really mix...

wolves71
05-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Sorry guys, I should have spotted the extra s in the link..me and modern Technology dont really mix...

Facebook and twitter usually use Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure aks https, when you see the link in the address bar, delete the s, then copy and paste into link area on the thread you're replying to, leave the s in and you get both http and https in your link ;D

Woking88
06-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Saw them both, Nick. Shame the experience is so brief, but well worth watching if you are suffering from a lack of nostalgia fodder! :D

Woking88
06-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Torbay Express just went through on its way back to Exeter. Lots of whistles and steam and it certainly wasn't hanging about! :D

Woking88
06-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Nunney Castle? just gone back. Resident appeared in a garden on the left, with what looked like a camcorder. His timing was perfect. Must have been watching the live train tracker! :)

DorsetGoldandBlack2
07-07-2014, 04:16 PM
I was out videoing the trains all day so wasnt by computer to watch but I have looked at them since...
Nunney Castle was failed the evening before and 34046 Braunton was prepared aand did the Torbay Express instead.. such a pity as a Great Western Castle would have been a fitting first loco for the Torbay..I was taken aback when I did my first video of the day .. really didnt expect Braunton!!

Woking88
08-07-2014, 01:32 PM
My interest in trains does not run anything like as deep as with some, but I do find aspects of it very interesting.

After breakfast at a local nursery recently, I ventured into their 'department store' area and ended up buying a book entitled 'Life along the Line - Railways and people'. This near A4 sized, soft covered tome was originally priced at GBP16.99 and was now on sale at GBP4.99. I went to pay for it and was charged GBP3.99 as it was a special sale day, apparently.

What an absolute find! It is packed with old railway photographs and reproductions of past railway advertisements, tickets, timetables, brochures and a whole range of interesting items that most of us old geriatrics posting on here will relate to.

The author is Paul Atterbury, a long-time expert on BBC TV's Antiques Roadshow and a lifelong railway enthusiast and author on aspects of the subject.

Well worth the outlay! :D

DorsetGoldandBlack2
08-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Heres my video of the Royal Duchy and The Torbay Express...A very busy but enjoyable day out.. - view external link (http://youtu.be/6-gRyicgd9A)

WOODLANDSWOLF
08-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Heres my video of the Royal Duchy and The Torbay Express...A very busy but enjoyable day out..

Great stuff as usual Dorset. The Cockwood Harbour shot was magnificent.

Woking88
08-07-2014, 04:38 PM
Great stuff, Nick. I certainly agree with Woody about the Cockwood Harbour view. Many thanks! :)

DorsetGoldandBlack2
09-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Thanks guys.. the day involved alot of travelling from location to location but it was very enjoyable..

Woking88
13-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Hi Nick! There seems to be a lot of workman activity adjacent to the track at Dawlish. Any idea of what they are doing as there seems to be a fair bit of 'kit' there! :)

DorsetGoldandBlack2
14-07-2014, 06:02 AM
I think they are drilling the wall to put strengthening "tubes" down.. not sure how far they will go down but its just another attempt to hold it all together..
I watched the Torbay go past this time.. I would rather be lineside but its a good second best..
I will be out next Sunday ,it SHOULD be Nunney Castle ..I really hope it is ,a Castle on the sea wall with full rake of Chocolate and Cream coaches..wonderful!!

DorsetGoldandBlack2
16-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Some news about the web cam guys...

From the 1st of August 2014, Dawlish Beach will be a subscription only website. I have tried to keep this afloat since March but simply can't afford to keep paying for it myself. The only other option is to close it down altogether.

It is very disappointing that I have had so little support from Dawlish businesses when we are receiving close to 2 million hits a month from all over the world. Those that have advertised have seen a massive surge in web traffic and business and I thank those businesses for the support.

The price from August will be £2 per month or £20 per year. You will also be able to have a free trial so if you don't like the service you can cancel with no costs involved.

We will be moving away from LiveStream at this time also and will be using Camsecure.co.uk to provide our new stream. We are hoping to run this stream at 1080p so the quality will be far better than it ever has been.

For the chatters in the chat room, you will

Woking88
16-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Have you got any information on who and how we pay, Nick?

Woking88
18-07-2014, 07:45 AM
Seastate a bit choppy today, but calmer than it was earlier:- - view external link (http://tinyurl.com/nljfp3x)

Woking88
20-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Keeps going off line, Nick. Any idea why?

DorsetGoldandBlack2
21-07-2014, 05:53 AM
Sorry for not getting back to you Wokes..

No idea why its playing up..just suspect its to do with the change over, I will have a good look and see if I can find out anything..
I was in Dawlish for the 20 July train..my video is below... - view external link (http://youtu.be/MGvtjqWIE3w)

Woking88
21-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Great stuff, Nick! Many thanks!

Woking88
26-07-2014, 04:39 PM
The new HD picture is a vast improvement, but the 'train tracker' seems to have disappeared on the new site. - view external link (http://www.dawlishbeach.com/wp/?page_id=45)

Woking88
23-08-2014, 01:09 PM
Hi Nick.

Have you any feedback on what is happening with the site? At the moment the camera is showing a panoramic view of distant boats, but no trains.

I get the impression that they are trying to incorporate considerable improvements to the site but, unless I have missed something, they don't seem to want to tell us what is going on.

I would be grateful for any updates you may have.

Thanks.

Ian.

PS Revisited your link at #52 which has answered some questions, but not all.

Woking88
23-08-2014, 07:23 PM
It's not all trains at Dawlish. Airshow on camera today:-

http://i62.tinypic.com/rjfomc.jpg

Woking88
25-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Raining and overcast down there at the moment, but still uplifting to see the sea! :)

Woking88
26-08-2014, 09:17 PM
The sea is looking quite rough at the moment - worse than I have seen it since I started viewing the site!

wolf1778
06-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Been down to Dawlish today as part of a local CAMRA initiative to show support for the pubs who lost trade because of the damage caused by the storms. About 50-60 CAMRA members turned up from Devon, Cornwall, Avon, Somerset and Wiltshire. A great turnout. Dartmoor Brewery brewed a special beer called "Dawlish On Track" at 5per cent ABV, which was available in some of the pubs we visited.Very good beer too. The weather was great as well. Well done Dawlish !!

DorsetGoldandBlack2
07-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Wolf..Id be interested in what pubs you went in in dawlish?? Im not a CAMRA member so wouldnt know..Ive used most pubs in Dawlish and just wondered which ones were good for the CAMRA members??

wolf1778
07-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Dorset ... We went to The Marine, Gresham Inn and the White Hart yesterday, and I always find the Exeter Inn and the Railway quite good as well. Some of the group also went to Dawlish Warren yesterday, to visit 4 others over there.

DorsetGoldandBlack2
07-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Cheers mate.. I was thinking the White Harte might be one of them..Im going down in a few weeks so will try them all again!!!!

Woking88
08-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Some very interesting footage on the site of the Haven Seariser being towed into position. This huge crane is being used to further strengthen the sea wall.

Woking88
13-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Hi DGB. watching the 'Tangos' coming and going, can you tell me if there is a tunnel under the railway, for access to the work area and beach?

DorsetGoldandBlack2
14-09-2014, 09:21 AM
Hi mate..no theres no tunnel under the line for access, most of the equipment would get to the site by the road that collapsed or by rail on wagons from the station car park...The only ways to cross the line are,from the tunnel where the main line goes under the cliff on the Teignmouth end of the sea wall, theres a footbridge right by the tunnel. then the viaduct for people to get to the beach ,next is Coastguards Bridge,which is just behind the web cam and Rockstone Bridge which is about half way between Dawlish and Dawlish Warren.At the Warren theres road access to the lineso you can see that the sea wall is a nightmare to work on..but Team orange do it brilliantly.
Its widely stated that the Sewall is the most expensive to maintain..after whats happened you can see why!!

Woking88
20-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Shame they can't cut those pampas grasses back which are obscuring the view of the track! :/

Woking88
17-10-2014, 08:34 AM
I have to say a big thank you Dorset for putting me onto the webcam site. Apart from the trains there is so much else going on and, as one who has spent some of my life living by the sea, I find it very soothing to get my 'fix' of watching the sea state.

Somewhat overcast and gloomy today, but it means so much more to me than just the view.

Thanks mate from both me and the missus! :)

DorsetGoldandBlack2
19-10-2014, 02:14 PM
No problem mate,,Dawlish will always be my favourite place..wonderful holidays as a kid, now lots of friends there. Railways as a hobby has been a big part of my life and it all started there..