PDA

View Full Version : Safe standing areas

Les_bradds_lad
07-02-2014, 12:09 PM
from the beeb

Football League clubs have backed calls for the introduction of safe-standing areas at Championship grounds.
All-seater stadiums have been compulsory in the Championship and Premier League since an inquiry into the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, which claimed the lives of 96 Liverpool fans.
Safe-standing areas, featuring retractable seats, have been introduced abroad, most notably in Germany. At a Football League meeting, the clubs voted overwhelmingly in favour of the plans.

WhoRYa
07-02-2014, 02:24 PM
I'd love to have the opportunity to be able to stand at Latics games again (without us having been relegated to League's 1 & 2) so I'm all for it.

However having look at the article from the link at the bottom, they look like they'd be a right pain in the @r$e to see the game when I've have to sit in em for Latics next European game!! - view external link (www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26079503)

Wigan_
07-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Why do you want to stand ?

WhoRYa
07-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Because I do. Same as some people prefer to sit down
It's called personal choice

Wigan_
07-02-2014, 07:45 PM
The view of the game is better for everyone with seats, no matter how tall. Some people's idea of personal choice would be to stand in front of kids so they can't see the game. What memories they'll take from the game.

WhoRYa
08-02-2014, 07:17 AM
Here's a novel idea then. How about a standing area for those who wish to stand & seating areas for those who wish to sit down - it's not rocket science.
In incidentally I took my 5yr old daughter to her first ever game in the fixture against Middlesbrough earlier this season. Last couple of minutes before kick off a group came out & sat in front of us. The bloke who chose the seat in from of her was quite tall & blocked her view so we moved to a seat where she could see.
Fancy that - it happens in seats too

Wigan_
09-02-2014, 06:24 PM
If by rocket science you mean carefully and precisely calculated, planned and organized, then maybe clubs should employ rocket science.

The clubs need to ask why some people want to stand and examine whether the position of their standing spectators will change the atmosphere and mentality at football games

Would the standing areas be the closest to the away supporters or the furthest away ?
Would the away supporters stand also ?

If people want cheaper tickets then argue for cheaper tickets instead. Otherwise ticket prices would only be cheaper if the ground capacity filling clubs increased that capacity when converting the seating areas into standing areas. A shift towards cramming people in, and putting people at risk.

When people are seated, 99.99% of people will see the game
100& of people have a far greater chance to see the game
Everyone buys an overpriced ticket to see the game and it is a very reasonable expectation that they should do.

The press are stirring up the d

WhoRYa
10-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Where any club decided to put any standing areas they re-introduced would be entirely down to the discretion of the club itself. Nor would I myself be bothered whether Latics would put it in ES2 or whether they put it in the furthest corner of the west stand away from the away end

I never mentioned anything about cheaper tickets, I just preferred it when i could stand up at games. I can't answer for everyone, but my mentality when attending a game is no different when i sit down to how it was why I stood up

You quite clearly prefer to sit down at games & I can understand that. What I can't understand is why you have such an issue & problem understanding that some people would prefer to stand to watch football.