PDA

View Full Version : Credit Where Credit Is Due

JRSLEFTPEG
08-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Yes, I am talking about that guy McIntyre. I , along with plenty others, were critical of what I still say were his poor earlier decisions and selections regarding our team. Examples being that we have suddenly started winning games since he has played the defence we were crying out for all season. He has obviously instilled a never say die attitude into the team and they are giving him everything they have . Conditions today were awful but the players rose to the occasion and Kevin Holt especially was outstanding . For me , the best Left Back in the Championship .We are motoring along nicely now and who knows where this little journey will end . Bring on Dundee now . A big crowd will be there and we are ready for them.

nithvalley
08-02-2014, 07:05 PM
JR, I believe Dowie has played the last 2 matches.

Would you keep the defence the same or recall Higgins to restore the 'Fab Four' ?

Tough decision for the Manager.

deek5trans
08-02-2014, 07:13 PM
The major difference has been playing with 2 strikers up front imo. We now have goal threat.

Performance of the season today especially in the 2nd half when we got to grips with midfield and broke forward with pace.

Kerr looks a quality player. Really made a difference in midfield. Even though in terms of personnel we didn't need a central midfielder you can see how he was probably too good a opportunity to miss.

rjc_1988
08-02-2014, 07:38 PM
A 5 star display - given the dire conditions arguably the best of the season.

Picking 3 central midfielders and two up front with Paton supporting worked a treat. We created so many chances and some of our pass and movement was terrific. No failures but I thought Paton was mom and his flick for the second goal was classy.

Having 3 genuine midfielders really protects the back 4.

McHugh has great movement and has been a good addition and if Kerr plays like that every week the Manager will have made a shrewd capture.

On that form we are as good as anybody in this league.special mention to Gavin who took his goals brilliantly when he came on.

If we can somehow win next two games we will be right in the thick of league battle as I expected us to be at start of campaign.

Well done Jim McIntyre.

JRSLEFTPEG
08-02-2014, 08:08 PM
JR, I believe Dowie has played the last 2 matches.

Would you keep the defence the same or recall Higgins to restore the 'Fab Four' ?

Tough decision for the Manager. Hi NV. Fair point about Dowie . I have never not rated him ( infact he is very composed and assured for a Scottish centre half) its just that I feel Higgins and Durnan go together like cheese and crackers . Very pleased that he has come in and done a great job. Dont forget that Mitchell, Holt and Durnan have all been dropped or been out of favour by the manager this season. Decisions that I reckon have cost us points . HOWEVER, I don't want to dwell on that too much now especially when we are sweating blood - so to speak - on the park.

Tam_o_Terregles
08-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Well done, players and management.
Going into this game I would have taken a point. Credit to the players for serving up such a game in such poor conditions.
Defence limited Falkirk to virtually no shots on target. Don't remember Jim having any saves to make today, whereas their big keeper had to get down low twice to push goal bound efforts away. And how did McHugh miss that sitter?
Young Gav did brilliantly when he came on, but I was impressed most by our midfield throughout.
Falkirk had a good spell in the first half and there was always little space in there but I thought our guys put in a great shift and were bossing thing just before we scored.
Dundee with Hartley will be interesting next week. B)

JRSLEFTPEG
08-02-2014, 08:17 PM
I am still a bit unsure of McShane . Don't get me wrong , he was involved in some nice quick passing today but I wish he would 'get the foot in' a bit more . Oh for a bit of Paul Burns tackling and doggedness transmorphed into him.

Palmyman
08-02-2014, 09:18 PM
An excellent performance against the league leaders and the team with the best goals against record in the SPFL apart from the Old Firm who have their leagues wrapped up already. Now bring on the new league leaders Dundee next Saturday.

Auld_Chippy
09-02-2014, 01:27 AM
A great performance in poor conditions as others have said. The whole team is looking more solid and playing with greater confidence and enthusiasm over the past few weeks with plenty of scoring chances being created. Many, myself included, are wondering what brought about this transformation in the team from what they had to offer earlier in the season, is it playing a more settled line-up, a more positive formation, players suddenly realising that if they put in the effort they can compete with the leading teams, or a combination of all of these? Credit where credit is due as the heading says and let's enjoy this upturn in fortunes and hope it continues but I can't help but be upset to think that it has taken more than half the season to find the answer to how we should be playing in this division. Very little credit due there.
On a different theme, will Ian Russell get his place back with the team playing so well?

shugg1e1919
09-02-2014, 10:56 AM
I am still a bit unsure of McShane . Don't get me wrong , he was involved in some nice quick passing today but I wish he would 'get the foot in' a bit more . Oh for a bit of Paul Burns tackling and doggedness transmorphed into him.

Agree with that 100% JR. There was one example in the 2nd half yesterday when Burnsy was second favourite to win the ball against a bigger opponent but the block tackle he made almost burst the ball and shook the stadium. Terrific fight and heart which McShane would do well to emulate.

Tam_o_Terregles
09-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Agree with that 100% JR. There was one example in the 2nd half yesterday when Burnsy was second favourite to win the ball against a bigger opponent but the block tackle he made almost burst the ball and shook the stadium. Terrific fight and heart which McShane would do well to emulate.

Yes, indeedy! Burnsy on song is a terrific player at this level. I hope fans turn out in numbers for his testimonial. I know circumstances were unusual yesterday but what a poor turn out v league leaders.

Auld chippy, I think we will have some gaps for Beany when suspensions kick in soon. It was disappointing to see McKenna pick up another one.

rjc_1988
09-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Auld chippy

I dont expect Ian Russell to return to team and bench is more likely.

Others may disagree but for me Russell is a central striker but the manager sees that differently and I feel as though we have created a formation that accommodates him but does not suit the other players that we have at our disposal. Two up front is a must for us and I think Kerr burns and McKenna ( suspensions permitting) will be the way forward this season.

I would like us to get Paton signed up - high potential player who can really pull the strings.

A win next week and we are really back in the hunt!

fatfan
09-02-2014, 03:15 PM
I have to take my hat off to Jim McIntyre and eat the humble pie I have had in the fridge all season. He has managed to transform the team in the past couple of months and the teams form is improving at the right time of the season. He has got all players playing and has recognised where the team has required improving from the side he was playing at the start of the season. Sorry to have to mention this but imo the biggest change was the goalkeeper as Clark and now young Atkinson have shown a level of confidence that has spread throughout the defence. As the saying goes - Strikers win you games, defences win you leagues.
With the confidence in the defence then this spreads throughout the whole team and we start winning on a regular basis. That was typified yesterday in the last few minutes of the game when some of the play in the left back area of the pitch was tremendous with a series of passes when under pressure and suddenly we were breaking up the pitch at pace and had Falkir

qosdreamer
09-02-2014, 08:39 PM
A well deserved win but one i didn,t think was coming as we passed up loads of chances.
We could of been 1 up after a minute as Lyles cross found no takers.Holty charged into the area but blazed wide and then McHugh fluffed his chance from a great Burns cross.I think he would take it with his left next time.Chances kept coming as Paton twice came close.One knocked away by McGovern as Lyle was about to pounce.Into the second half and we had more possession but probably less chances.The best made by Patons great touch for himself but he tamely shot wide.When McGovern again got across his line to save from Paton it looked like a goalless draw but Gavins cameo won the day.An accurate cross from Lyle was angled home and then another Holt gallop and a clever Paton back heel was slammed home to produce one of the biggest roars at Palmerston this season.
It was a funny game as we were quite wasteful in possession at times but we must have made more chances than any other game this season.
I d