PDA

View Full Version : Stoke

Dirtyweasel
08-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Stoke are to football, what Jimmy Saville is to babysitting. If there's a team in the premier league more anti-football than Stoke then I've yet to see them.

Two points dropped today, and if there was an appeal process to get your entrance fee back due to lack of entertainment we'd all be Gbp 30.00+ better off.

My respect goes to each and every Stoke fan having to endure that sh1t week in, week out. I really don't know how they do it :?

The only positive is that we won't be playing them again this season. Every cloud O:)

saintwayne
09-02-2014, 06:35 AM
It was a really poor game wasn't it. Obviously the weather didn't help things, but even under Hughes they just look like West Ham mk2, and sadly even we resorted to hoofing it in the second half as it looked like we ran out of ideas. :/

Thought we were cruising at 1-0, still can't fathom how we let them score twice, other than their goals I don't remember them having another chance all game, although to be fair they did defend quite well.

Overall a feeling of frustration though as a win would have taken us above Newcastle, and too many of our key players had off days, especially Clyne and Shaw. MOTM for me Steven Davis.

Looking forward to the Hull game, but that will be far from easy. Another draw wouldn't surprise me.

OhWell
09-02-2014, 08:08 AM
Judging from the small number of away fans they brought, not many of them endure it every week.

The weather conditions were appalling yesterday so it wasn't easy for anyone to play good football.

proclaimer
09-02-2014, 08:21 AM
The weather suited Stoke better than us. Their substitutions seemed odd as they seemed to leave themselves isolated up front. Pity we couldn't take advantage. Rickie's goal was the highlight.

PapaLazarou
09-02-2014, 10:41 AM
A few indifferent performances by some of our lads yesterday, and very disappointing to concede two soft goals.

No denying that Stoke are a hard working and physical side who made themselves very difficult to break down. But if Saints are committed to establishing themselves as a solid Top 10 outfit, they really need to look to improve their game against such sides.

Agree with Proc on the highlight - SRL's free-kick was as good as any you'll see.. B)

CostaBaz
09-02-2014, 11:00 AM
I thought Stoke played to their strengths and, especially in the second half, got their tactics spot on.

The speed of Odemwinge and Assaidi, allied to their tracking back when Shaw and Clyne pushed forward, stopped us from getting behind them and delivering crosses from the bye line.
Second half, Shaw and Clyne gave up trying to get to the bye line and kept cutting in, which was exactly what Stoke wanted.

There was no space to pass through their very well organised defence, and any lofted balls were easily dealt with, because that is what they are good at.
By playing to their strengths, Stoke forced us to also play to their strengths.

It was a good defensive display that exposed our lack of options to come off the bench and change things. The only player I'd have been tempted to throw on, would have been JWP. Simply because his crosses, from any position on the pitch, can cause defences problems.

And for what it's worth, another penalty shout missed by the ref, the incident where S

Brockley_Jack
09-02-2014, 11:33 AM
Sad to say it but Hughes got his tactics spot on.

How the hell we let them score two goals though? One of those days.

2 points from safety.

sergei
09-02-2014, 05:57 PM
The weather suited Stoke better than us. .

??????????????????
PMSL
Didn't both sides have to cope with the weather - at your place??
Fact - 2 dropped points
Fact - punching above your weight
FACT - WEATHER AFFECTS EVERYONE

RICKYwillTAKEusUP
09-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Awww you are a clever one aren't you Sergei! I think you'll find that Proc is agreeing with you on your last point (that you seem to have shouted.) Yes weather does affect everyone, it just played to Stoke's strengths (hoof) more than it did to ours (stylish passing game). Thanks for your time ;)

Your other points - '2 dropped points'; yes I (and a significant proportion of this board) agree with you. Thanks for stating the obvious.
'Punching above [our] weight' - not at all. Not that they are divine oracles by any means, but all of the MOTD pundits had Saints down for 9th position before the season began. We're 9th!

sergei
09-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Awww you are a clever one aren't you Sergei! I think you'll find that Proc is agreeing with you on your last point (that you seem to have shouted.) Yes weather does affect everyone, it just played to Stoke's strengths (hoof) more than it did to ours (stylish passing game). Thanks for your time ;)

Your other points - '2 dropped points'; yes I (and a significant proportion of this board) agree with you. Thanks for stating the obvious.
'Punching above [our] weight' - not at all. Not that they are divine oracles by any means, but all of the MOTD pundits had Saints down for 9th position before the season began. We're 9th!

Ta for your kind words Ricky.
If hoof it football was fitting for the weather then Mr Hughes got it right. Didn't he?

CostaBaz
09-02-2014, 10:33 PM
The weather suited Stoke better than us. .

??????????????????
PMSL
Didn't both sides have to cope with the weather - at your place??
Fact - 2 dropped points
Fact - punching above your weight
FACT - WEATHER AFFECTS EVERYONE[/quote]

I was chatting with a mate, from Stoke, last week and he gets embarrassed when we start talking about football.

He, being a Stoke City fan, honestly doesn't believe he has the right to use the words Stoke City and football, in the same sentence.
Have to say, that like most "football" supporters, I agree with him.

I've given your team credit for getting the tactics right, but Stoke City really are the anti Christ of football.

PapaLazarou
10-02-2014, 08:47 AM
I've given your team credit for getting the tactics right, but Stoke City really are the anti Christ of football.

There's a good reason why adult season tickets at the Britannia are priced from just i18 per game..

PapaLazarou
10-02-2014, 08:53 AM
http://i62.tinypic.com/15xl2yv.gif