PDA

View Full Version : Worst miss you've seen at Palmerston

arrol1919
12-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Surprised more hasn't been mentioned of Bob McHugh's miss from 3 yards out at Palmerston last weekend against Falkirk but it got me thinking is that the worst you've seen or does anymore spring to mind ?

I seem to remember big Holmer missing a similar effort at the same end when he was at Queens .

Anyone ;D ??

JRSLEFTPEG
12-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Good topic Arrol . I can't really remember any specific misses but it has to be something by Stevie Mallan for me. Stevie would score some cracking goals but miss some awful sitters from close in. My worst ever miss - and I was talking about it recently- was Stevie Nicol's against Uruguay in the 86 World Cup . Uruguay had a man sent off early and Scotland needed to win to go through to the next stage . Nicol missed an open goal , trundling the ball towards the goal where it was cleared off the line and it still pisses me off to this day.

Cpt_Blackadder
12-02-2014, 07:38 PM
It must have been about 1971 and Queens were playing Hamilton Accies. The Accies had a trialist striker (I think) and the he found himself less than a metre from the goal line with the goalie no-where. The ball bounced in front of him and he tried to side foot it over the line. However he caught the rising ball wrongly and it ran up the face of the cross bar and over.

bluesince1969
12-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Stevie Mallan v East Stirling at Palmy in 90s.
At Terregles end Stevie rounded keeper and proceeded to pass the ball round the post from 2 yards!
Seem to remember we won 5-1.

He`s still one of my cult heroes though.

bluesince1969
12-02-2014, 08:58 PM
No it was McHugh last week!

TOSHSON
12-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Was at Hampden when Ilewumo missed the sitter against Norway ,but must say it was very similar feeling when young McHugh missed last weekend! Disbelief an understatement!

Mustafa_Sheet
13-02-2014, 06:58 PM
For me it has to be George Cloy's penalty miss in the dying minutes of a League Cup tie at Palmy in 1996 when the tie stood at 1 - 0 to United. He skied the kick over the bar and i'm sure the ball would have landed half way down Terregles Street!!!

JRSLEFTPEG
13-02-2014, 08:43 PM
For me it has to be George Cloy's penalty miss in the dying minutes of a League Cup tie at Palmy in 1996 when the tie stood at 1 - 0 to United. He skied the kick over the bar and i'm sure the ball would have landed half way down Terregles Street!!! League Cup 86 that one mate . You skipped a decade there . This was also the game we controversially had a goal disallowed for offside. I remember the Standard showing a photograph with the Queens player seemingly onside .

JRSLEFTPEG
13-02-2014, 08:50 PM
I have to mention a miss by a Queens player that I am not likely ever to forget in my life but it wasn't at Palmerston. Yes, a miss by a man that I consider a Queens legend and it was at Tynecastle earlier in the season. No need to say any more.

Palmyman
13-02-2014, 08:58 PM
JRSPeg was Giro's penalty v the Arabs in the 1986 Skol Cup not saved and you are correct Tam Bryce had a goal disallowed
PS - Just got the match report out and indeed Billy Thompson saved Giro's penalty

Mustafa_Sheet
13-02-2014, 09:03 PM
For me it has to be George Cloy's penalty miss in the dying minutes of a League Cup tie at Palmy in 1996 when the tie stood at 1 - 0 to United. He skied the kick over the bar and i'm sure the ball would have landed half way down Terregles Street!!! League Cup 86 that one mate . You skipped a decade there . This was also the game we controversially had a goal disallowed for offside. I remember the Standard showing a photograph with the Queens player seemingly onside .[/quote]

Wee typo there JR...I knew it was '86 but for some reason I added 10 years on. Maybe it was wishful thinking on my part in order to take a decade off my own age ;D

JRSLEFTPEG
13-02-2014, 09:21 PM
For me it has to be George Cloy's penalty miss in the dying minutes of a League Cup tie at Palmy in 1996 when the tie stood at 1 - 0 to United. He skied the kick over the bar and i'm sure the ball would have landed half way down Terregles Street!!! League Cup 86 that one mate . You skipped a decade there . This was also the game we controversially had a goal disallowed for offside. I remember the Standard showing a photograph with the Queens player seemingly onside .[/quote]

Wee typo there JR...I knew it was '86 but for some reason wI added 10 years on. Maybe it was wishful thinking on my part in order to take a decade off my own age ;D[/quote]Ha ha , I wish it was that easy to get ten years younger.

Cpt_Blackadder
14-02-2014, 06:16 PM
I watched GooTV highlights of the cup tie at Tynecastle and have to say (in fairness to young Bob) that Derek Lyle's fluff is probably the worst I've seen.

It was also a more important miss!