PDA

View Full Version : Why the weakened team?

theyak2
15-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Safe in the league and the only chance to win some silverware.
I know you're used to winning nothing but c'mon you must be a tad miffed?
With this year's current draw seeing a couple of top 4 sides out, this was a major chance. :-(

tumbles
15-02-2014, 04:52 PM
Safe in the league and the only chance to win some silverware.
I know you're used to winning nothing but c'mon you must be a tad miffed?
With this year's current draw seeing a couple of top 4 sides out, this was a major chance. :-(

Being miffed doesn't even half cover how i feel, :blue: i felt the same after we lost to Sunderland in the other cup, and yet another golden opportunity wasted.

Poch made it clear that he doesn't want us in the Europa league, so i guess he didn't want us to get there by winning the cup.

Either way i'm not impressed, but having said that there's not going to be a mutiny from me, and bring on the next game.:/

theyak2
15-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Fair play Tumbles

CostaBaz
15-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Just put on another thread, if MP is so anti the Europa Cup, for the way it ruins the season for so many teams in it, then win a place in it, then refuse to enter.

If the Europa Cup hadn't been designed to allow Champions League teams to drop into it, after failure in their own competition, there would probably be no need to start playing the qualifying games, etc, so early in the season.

Bring back the Cup Winners Cup, stop the bail out for Champions League teams and the, maybe, clubs might take cups more seriously.

The only club I feared, in the cup, was Chelsea, so now they're out, I'm seriously peed off. Will be even more so if Sunderland get a plum home draw against the outsiders.
We coulda been contenders!

souths1
15-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Next year I hope fans treat the cup games with the same disdain as MP and let them play in front of an empty stadium, or let the public watch for free.
Today was an insult to the paying public.

pfcsteve72
15-02-2014, 09:26 PM
The 800 fans that made the long journey should be refunded all costs of the day.

proclaimer
16-02-2014, 12:13 AM
Next year I hope fans treat the cup games with the same disdain as MP and let them play in front of an empty stadium, or let the public watch for free.
Today was an insult to the paying public.

Next season I think we know for sure so buyer beware for cup games. I agree with you, and btw I'm sad about that, because I love cup competitions.

TurktownAnt
16-02-2014, 02:50 AM
Just put on another thread, if MP is so anti the Europa Cup, for the way it ruins the season for so many teams in it, then win a place in it, then refuse to enter.

If the Europa Cup hadn't been designed to allow Champions League teams to drop into it, after failure in their own competition, there would probably be no need to start playing the qualifying games, etc, so early in the season.

Bring back the Cup Winners Cup, stop the bail out for Champions League teams and the, maybe, clubs might take cups more seriously.

The only club I feared, in the cup, was Chelsea, so now they're out, I'm seriously peed off. Will be even more so if Sunderland get a plum home draw against the outsiders.
We coulda been contenders!

Agree with that. I thought a full strength Scum could actually go all the way. So i'm happy. Pompey win at home and Soton out of the cup. Nice.

st_bangkok
16-02-2014, 06:19 AM
Something is wrong here with the clubs thinking. Will MP also turn down the chance to finish 6th on the basis that 6th comes with a spot in the Europa league? :?

chiswickmart
16-02-2014, 07:24 AM
Something is wrong here with the clubs thinking. Will MP also turn down the chance to finish 6th on the basis that 6th comes with a spot in the Europa league? :?

That's a great point. It doesn't add up at all.

kernow
16-02-2014, 08:13 AM
Not sure any of us can answer the original question as to why the weakened team was fielded. All possible reasons have been suggested but the only people who can answer are the management.

Whatever the reasons it certainly casts doubt upon the assertion of wanting to win every game.

Bad day and a sub-standard performance. Contrast our's with the current holders who aren't about to let that Cup go easily.

Saints have performed well this season , but yesterday was a disappointment and the result reflected it.

souths1
16-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Luke shaw not happy, any chance of keeping hold of our best players in the summer has now gone.
It's not losing that grates me it's total lack of ambition to win silverware. - view external link (http://mobile.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/luke-im-devastated-1361978.aspx?pd=635280897770000000)

CostaBaz
16-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Luke shaw not happy, any chance of keeping hold of our best players in the summer has now gone.
It's not losing that grates me it's total lack of ambition to win silverware.

Agree with you.
We are giving our young players a reason for moving on, and potential new signings a reason for not signing.

Obviously, we are not privy to the fitness levels of the players that did so well at Hull, but isn't it better to get into a winning position and then give players the chance to build fitness?

Failing that, with 39 points already on the board, why not experiment in league matches?

The problem with managers, is that their loyalty to the club, in most cases, is temporary, so they don't think in the same way as the fans do.

PapaLazarou
17-02-2014, 08:45 AM
The disappointment (I'll stop short of calling it anger) at the team selection and subsequent capitulation on Saturday has not subsided..

Very poor from Pochettino and his management team if they thought for one minute that fielding reserve players for a place in the last 8 of the FA Cup was in any way acceptable.

And their fallback comments of 'any team we put out should be good enough to win' is laughable and an insult to the fans - we've all seen more than enough of our B-list players to know what they are (or aren't capable) of.

Not good.. :s