PDA

View Full Version : Sir Billy Wright ?

Evewolf65
16-02-2014, 04:08 PM
On the the back of the sad events of the last couple of days, SIR Tom Finney's passing especially got me thinking , Tom, Stanley Matthews, Bobby's Moore and Charlton Geoff Hurst, Trevor Brooking to but a handful why was our Billy never Knighted?

WOODLANDSWOLF
16-02-2014, 04:47 PM
On the the back of the sad events of the last couple of days, SIR Tom Finney's passing especially got me thinking , Tom, Stanley Matthews, Bobby's Moore and Charlton Geoff Hurst, Trevor Brooking to but a handful why was our Billy never Knighted?

Wasn't there some kind of scandal, female related?

Evewolf65
16-02-2014, 05:01 PM

Wasn't there some kind of scandal, female related?[/quote]

Nah he married Joy Beverley Woods, at the time it was like marrying a spice girl if you played for a small town team as you know you might as well forget it

theplater
16-02-2014, 05:06 PM

It is one of the biggest travesties in British Football as far as I'm concerned Eve.

The first man in World Football to win a hundred caps, 90 as captain a record only equalled by Sir Bobby Moore, 70 competative Internationals consecutively (unequalled) and he was never booked or sent off. He captained the great Wolves side of the 1950's which as a club side did more than any other to restore some pride to the national game and as such those floodlit games against Honved, Dynamo and Real Madrid laid the foundations of what a few years later would become the most prestigious club competition to date.

I can understand why Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton were knighted and I can also un

WOODLANDSWOLF
16-02-2014, 05:07 PM

Wasn't there some kind of scandal, female related?[/quote]

Nah he married Joy Beverley Woods, at the time it was like marrying a spice girl if you played for a small town team as you know you might as well forget it[/quote]

Maybe marrying into "show business" was enough to exclude him in those days?

wolves71
16-02-2014, 05:07 PM
It does make you wonder why he wasn't knighted?, but as with the Football Association's 150th anniversary, he was ignored on promotional merchandise. I know there was also a campaign to see Billy Wright awarded a posthumous knighthood. - view external link (http://www.sirbillywright.com/)

Evewolf65
16-02-2014, 05:11 PM

It is one of the biggest travesties in British Football as far as I'm concerned Eve.

The first man in World Football to win a hundred caps, 90 as captain a record only equalled by Sir Bobby Moore, 70 competative Internationals consecutively (unequalled) and he was never booked or sent off. He captained the great Wolves side of the 1950's which as a club side did more than any other to restore some pride to the national game and as such those floodlit games against Honved, Dynamo and Real Madrid laid the foundations of what a few years later would become the most prestigious club competition to date.

I can understand why Bobby Moore and

Woking88
16-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Billy Wright and Bobby Moore are undoubtedly two of the most significant characters in English football history, for reasons already stated.

The fact that they both died relatively young may be a factor in why they were not knighted but, IMHO, their early deaths do provide a very good reason for posthumous Knighthoods.

Woking88
17-02-2014, 09:17 AM
I hope that they don't continue to overlook David Beckham for too long. Apart from the football, his contribution to promoting our country and his work, especially with youngsters, deserves recognition now, not when he has become a pensioner!

greystone16
17-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Of course he should have had the sword shoulder tap,played for the wrong team.