PDA

View Full Version : Absolute chaos

lukcour
16-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Got to the ground to be told that we were playing 1a 3 man central midfield. Evans, Grant, and Osman. Honestly could not believe it. Told my friend that I think I will go out and have a big-big bet on Brentford to win. It was a certainty.

Watching our games this season it is clear that Evans cannot play in the same team as Osman. As for Grant it is beyond doubt that he cannot play with Osman. From the moment that Osman was dropped it was patently obvious that we were a better balanced team, playing much better football. You could also see that the players were a lot happier. We also had 7 points from a possible 12. So it looked like against Brentford that we were going to be playing without a midfield.

At the start Osman was playing right centre back, left centre back. Within the first 10 minutes he had also managed to play right defensive midfield, centre defensive midfielder, and left central midfielder. He even achieved attacking midfielder. Unfortunately he was bleedi

PAULCAFC
16-02-2014, 08:26 PM
We got beaten By a far superior team and by 3 stunning strikes, although Garratt should have saved at least one, must agree that SD's tactics and selections are baffling at times and for me with 15 games left we are in deep trouble! some tough games left to try and win.

sacrewebleu
16-02-2014, 10:07 PM
We were always going to get beaten by Brentford, they are a championship team and from what i saw, capable of top half. I didn't have an issue with the thinking on the formation in that i can see why SD wanted to pack the midfield.

However, i do agree with you that midfield is an issue and i've said before that Osman and the captaincy was a hindrance as he looks lost and SD hasn't cut the tie completely and so gives him a place on the bench when others are more capable.

I also agree that our 3 best midfielders are Grant, Evans and nolan. If it was the first game of the season today, i'd even say it was Grant and possibly Nolan, but it's not and we stare both a derby and relegation squarely...

As Lukcour suggests, Nolan sits, screens,passes and chooses to do the simple things well,getting others on the ball. That sounds unremarkable, but for me Evans opts to do the difficult things and does them very poorly, losing possession when we are out of position.

Some posters have mention

RenegadeDS
17-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Ignore this thread, Lukcour has a habit of slagging off Osman at every opportunity yet being strangely absent when he plays well.

bigroof
17-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Ignore this thread, Lukcour has a habit of slagging off Osman at every opportunity yet being strangely absent when he plays well.

You're correct, Renegade, but the trouble with Lukcour on Osman, is that he continually overstates his case. To compare him with a Sunday league player is an insult, and unnecessary when making his point that - this season - our midfield is better without Osman.

We first saw Evans, playing alongside Grant at home to Bradford. It looked a promising partnership to suit the 'front four'. As the season evolved from there, they became reunited within the pattern we've seen recently.

I think we were all looking forward to seeing how we shaped up with that pattern against the league leaders. With Ikpeazu injured though, Steve opted for something else, which didn't work really, because the midfield three couldn't really find the balance between supporting the attacking three and protecting the four in defen

alexmick
17-02-2014, 11:18 AM

With respect, this is a message board and every poster is entitled to his / her opinion. I don't think it is right for one person to tell others to ignore a thread. It is surely a good starting point to enable a constructive debate on the issues raised.

As for Paul's comments, I would say that at least 8 clubs have an almighty struggle on their hands from now until the end of the season. We are not down and out just yet. There are plenty of points to play for, although I would agree that it is going to be a nail biting finale. When we were easily beaten by the likes of Stevenage, Walsall and Gillingham at home in the Autumn, I was fearing the very worst and thought that there was no way back. However, performances and results have improved since then, so all is not lost.

DGFG
17-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Agree with a lot of the points made, particularly by Sacrewebleu but feel the comparison between Evans and Judge as potential loanees is a little unfair - you can bet that the differential in wages we would pay is eye watering! Steve has done well with his loan signings generally over the last couple of seasons.

Nolan deserves a chance but not sure at this stage he'd give us anything radically different - as stated probably one for next season - we'll still lack creativity in there though - I think ultimately Waters is a candidate to give us that, retained and protected the ball really well when I saw him in the youth team, though his stature is a potential issue. The other longer term option might be to try Brad Inman in there.

But, as things stand, it's a weakness so it does make sense just to play with two in there and try to attack with four offensive minded players - if Uche is not going to be fit, I'd give Vadaine Oliver a go, I think Chuks might benefit from playing off him

NewtoCrewe
17-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Agree with most comments and most of us expected to lose on Saturday but were hoping for a point. SD has to make the hard decisions now and get his formations right. Osman is totally out of form with the burden gaining each week, he has to be on the bench. If we're going to play a 4:3:3 the midfield has to be Grant/Evans sitting with Inman in front (he was brought in as a central midfielder), top three Chuks,Pogs & Uche. Either that or as DGFG said looking forward move Inman into the midfield with Grant and put Waters/Byron on the left until Colclough/Clayton are fit. I know the emphasis is staying up but maybe utilising players from the club might be the winning formation.

AlexLeicester
17-02-2014, 02:50 PM
I have concerns about the midfield for the Vale game, not so much footballing abilities, as discipline.
Evans has been seen to be a bit hot-headed and emotional, and Grant makes the stand shudder when he is knocked off the ball and falls to the ground. This is a derby game against a physical side that is not averse to cheating (Pope). We cannot afford to lose a man.
Therefore, I'd start with Evans and, as soon as he is Yellowed, sub him with Osman.
We are playing the Vale: form books go out of the window.

RenegadeDS
17-02-2014, 04:08 PM

With respect, this is a message board and every poster is entitled to his / her opinion. I don't think it is right for one person to tell others to ignore a thread. It is surely a good starting point to enable a constructive debate on the issues raised.
[/quote]

It was more a 'take it with a pinch of salt' suggestion, but thanks for teaching me the ways of the internet.

alexmick
17-02-2014, 04:25 PM
I have concerns about the midfield for the Vale game, not so much footballing abilities, as discipline.
Evans has been seen to be a bit hot-headed and emotional, and Grant makes the stand shudder when he is knocked off the ball and falls to the ground. This is a derby game against a physical side that is not averse to cheating (Pope). We cannot afford to lose a man.
Therefore, I'd start with Evans and, as soon as he is Yellowed, sub him with Osman.
We are playing the Vale: form books go out of the window.

I don't think that I would even consider using Osman at all at this point of the season, as his form has sadly dipped. He has been largely anonymous in the games he has played this season. Perhaps the captain's armband has had a negative on his form, as it did when Westwood was first given the position. Not all players can cope with the added responsibility. Osman was a good edition to the squad when he joined us and was

lukcour
17-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Hey Renegade DS it would appear that I missed that game where he played well. Could you remind me which one it was, and I will try to get a cd of it. Confident that you are impressed with his running all over the pitch.

Shame you don`t have the button. Delete, delete

RenegadeDS
17-02-2014, 06:29 PM
Hey Renegade DS it would appear that I missed that game where he played well. Could you remind me which one it was, and I will try to get a cd of it. Confident that you are impressed with his running all over the pitch.

Shame you don`t have the button. Delete, delete

Despite the fact that a large part of our solid start and contribution to us staying up came from games where he played - you can check those stats yourself if you're going to be pathetic - he also played a massive role in winning the JPT with outstanding performances against Doncaster and Coventry.

AstonAlex
17-02-2014, 07:04 PM
I would have to support Renegade; we seem to have completely forgotten how well Abdul and Murphy played together last season. Luke was a cut above any of this season's remaining midfielders, but his assurance and leadership seemed to allow Abdul to do what he does best - break up play and give the ball to someone who can pass it.

Sadly, we haven't had anyone remotely like Luke this season (let's face it they don't come through every season) and Abdul just hasn't been able to adjust to being the main man. I agree that he should be 'rested' (let's be kind) and the pair that seem to gel - Evans and the much improved Grant - start as many matches as possible. I would also agree that Nolan is the obvious alternate to Evans and that Walters should be seen as understudy to Grant; what little I have seen of him suggests he may play in a similar manner.

Abdul hasn't played well this season but, like Kelvin and Byron, it really isn't either fair nor accurate to say he has always been rubbis

ALEXKNOWALL
17-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Its all about the lack of balance! Regardless of which 2 are playing well or not, the midfield on Saturday was just set up to try toavoid us getting a hammering. Those 3 midfielders together has just never worked! It also left Chuks to do a job he cannot do against a good team because he needs a runner near him (even if its Ajay!) Whichever of our midfield 3 gets in front of the play he never looks comfortable. I would like to see Inman tried centrally if we need to pack midfield - but on Saturday we needed another forward to give us an out ball. I like SD but his clear weakness is his unwillingness to make changes - did anyone not believe we needed to bring a forward on when we scored the penalty with 20 minutes to go? SD did it but 10 minutes too late. Another recent example - at Tranmere no-one present could believe Ajay should have come out for the second half but subs at 45 minutes are just not considered

lukcour
18-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Have read all of your comments with interest. It is admirable the way that many of you have stuck up for one of our players. Also pleased that the thread generated some interest, and do not dispute that my comments were not very complimentary to Abdul Osman.

I stand by everything said. My reasons are simple, my loyalty is to the team (CAFC) that I support. Not to an individual player. If that upsets posters so be it. In my opinion Osman is largely responsible for the position we are in today. I am angry that my team is in a position that IMO they should not be in.

For the majority of the season Osman has been captain. We are once again in the relegation zone. During the time that he has been captain we have conceded 2.11 goals per game. He is the weakness in the team. He has had an awful season. In the games that he has not played we have been a far better side, playing much more attractive football. The players have also looked a lot happier with the balance being much

Crewebeedoo
18-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Agree to some extent we look a different better and more balanced team without Osman. I have started to notice how slow and hesitant he can be when he really needs to be quick and decisive. He is obviously going through a bad patch -as are others - but when points are so ***** Steve really needs to be picking players who are in form.Tootle makes a far better captain. On Saturday he was noticeably trying to motivate his team mates when it mattered.

So far as Steve's late substitutions are concerned, I have been saying this for months! So frustrating he waits 70 minutes plus to take any action when changes are needed. Against Brentford the match was already lost at 2-0 so we should've just had a go and tried something different. Would really like to see Oliver given another chance to show what he can do.