PDA

View Full Version : Our Mental Strength...

lovedeanblue
17-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Richie Barker insists his Pompey side have now gained some important mental strength as they took an important step towards League Two safety.

Although it was a far from vintage display, the Blues stood firm in the face of a late onslaught to claim a gutsy 1-0 win over AFC Wimbledon and give themselves some ***** breathing space in the battle to beat the drop.

Victory lifted them up to 17th place in the table and ensured they now have a seven-point cushion over second-bottom Torquay, although most teams below them have games in hand.

But after throwing away victory in the final seconds at Exeter a week earlier, it was a crucial step as the Blues negotiated a tense finale to pick up a much-needed win at Fratton Park.

Barker said: ‘We’ve come a long way in a short space of time.

‘The players would have been excused if they’d had an eye on what happened last week when we conceded with the last kick of the game.

‘Those last five minutes seemed to go on for a while.

‘It was a lot li

PompeyScarf
17-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Apparently Racon bottled a tackle early in the game and got an earful from team mates. No place for bottlers in L2/Div 4, seems like something Barker's trying to drum into them.

Southerndown
17-02-2014, 03:53 PM
11th in the L2 form guide... P8 W2 D4 L2

That'll do for me right now

pompeygun
17-02-2014, 04:10 PM
I thought it was a shocking game tbh. But the big plus for me was the team gave their collective all bar one, come to that in a mo. Barcham did a brilliant block in the last minute not something you expect him to do. Chorley was outstanding & it was infectious. However,Jervis is a lazy little bugger, a goal scorer he maybe if its put on a plate but he's like Izale Mcleod, beyond a goal here & there you get zero output from him anywhere else on the pitch.

midhurstblue
17-02-2014, 04:15 PM
I agree entirely about Jervis, he wont score many goals for Pompey, I much prefer Ryan Taylor who is much more effective.

lovedeanblue
17-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Jervis goes down too easy for me, looking for a pen which he never gets. Referees do talk between themselves for sure