PDA

View Full Version : A Sense of Mis-direction

Sir_Brian_Clough
17-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Well it has been a while since I have posted on here so I wanted to drop a note to discuss the shape of our side. When teams have successfully pushed for automatic promotion at this stage of the season, regardless of personelle, they seem to have a clear direction as to their style of play and their set-up. Whilst I understand the need to protect the back 4, our team has been most successful when it has played to its strength: attack. You don't need to be Cloughie himself to see that the loss of Lansbury is our most significant hit. He was an attacking engine and that put teams on the back foot.

Assists are a clear indication of a player's ability to create chances. There is no getting away from it, all the stats show that the more chances your create, the higher your chances of winning. Reid has the most assists in the division with 14 which is humbling to say the least. Mackie has 5 and Paterson & Abdoun have 4. So, to reveal our most creative side, we need to ensure Reid, Mackie,

Trickytreesreds
17-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Welcome back SBC. :D

I agree fully. NFFC have for decades worked on the principle of play football. Keep it down, in control, push forward, usually at break neck speed.
The best Forest sides have always done well following this. I aint just talking about Cloughie. Frank Clark did it, Bassett did it.
Obviously the players needed to be there, but look at the last two.

Colleymore/Roy
Van Hooijdonk/Campbell
Demolished all before them. We lack that and until we acquire it, it will always be hit and miss.

Romanis
17-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Agreed. Same what I've been saying, get a style of play and stick with it. Stop changing the team each and every time or the formation. Play to our strengths, eg: Hendo should start and perhaps play the full 90mins against Leicester.

Someone needs to keep Morgan busy and threaten Schmeichel with crosses. Hendo will fit in nicely.

joebaker
17-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Injuries have no doubt stopped our momentum , but why o why can't we buy a decent striker .Stan Colly was the difference when we last won promotion no doubt

matreddog
17-02-2014, 06:08 PM
and where do you suppose we'd find another collymore?? it just boils down to the fact that strikers fetch a lot of money and fawaz was prepared to pay the money for austin but he didnt want to come here so what are we supposed to do?? give djebour a chance he'll need 6 months min to adapt.

woolwhacker
17-02-2014, 06:33 PM
You lot kill me, you talk like you have a right to walk this division.
Comparing yourselves to Barcelona, good grief.

Let's attack...only Forest know how to play pure football.:?

When will you learn, the rest of the world has got over your purple patch in the eighties, time for you lot to move on.

KeeptheCityGround
17-02-2014, 06:36 PM
Injuries have no doubt stopped our momentum , but why o why can't we buy a decent striker .Stan Colly was the difference when we last won promotion no doubt

We're the third highest scoreres in the league when I last looked after Huddersfield match yet we still have people moaning for a 20 goal man. Maybe, just maybe Mr Paterson with 8 goals in 10 starts is that man.

KeeptheCityGround
17-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Top post from SBC. As always in football pick your best players. Pretty simple really.

joebaker
17-02-2014, 06:44 PM
certainly the pick of the bunch one on one i would back him dont know about the rest though

joebaker
17-02-2014, 06:48 PM
read the post again and use your brain SBC is taking about style and playing to strenghs example Burnley

KeeptheCityGround
18-02-2014, 06:46 AM
read the post again and use your brain SBC is taking about style and playing to strenghs example Burnley

I read it well enough thanks JB. You find your strengths and styles by playing your best players because they are erm erm, better than the ones that should be sat on the bench. They make better decisions on the pitch regards to passing, tackling, tracking runners, pressuring opposition players on the ball etc etc. the better players will be on a similar wave length to the not so better players. Really is simple.

Bluebird21
18-02-2014, 03:39 PM
I could not agree more with you.

Abdoun and Djebbour will take time.