PDA

View Full Version : Standing at Matches

greystone16
18-02-2014, 10:22 AM
With trial areas at Bristol,whats all the fuss about? Despite supposed legal restrictions, fans stand at virtually ever match and there's been no trouble or disasters so why go to all the expense of putting in standing seats? The stewards may ask fans to sit down but how do you punish even a few hundred and you've no chance with thousands so just forget it.

Wolfiebill
18-02-2014, 04:34 PM
I hear what you say and I, personally have no problem with it. However I gather that, for obvious reasons, those involved with the Hillsborough disaster are very much against.

wolves71
18-02-2014, 06:51 PM
It all points to health and safety, but only enforced when it suits. Overcrowding doesn't happen anymore, and i think ticket sales are actually controlled. I do think it will happen, despite the objections.

If you either go to or see games on television, away supporters stand and that includes those Liverpool supporters at Arsenal. Hillsborough will never be forgotten, especially for those that lost loved ones.

The trial at Bristol City means only the rugby side's supporters will be able to stand. Maybe, this will include the City fans at a later date.

greystone16
19-02-2014, 10:22 AM
You have a point there , the Kop at Liverpool stand all the while yet understandably it's the Hillsborough Liverpool relatives of those who lost their lives who are opposed to standing which is somewhat ironic.

Woking88
19-02-2014, 11:05 AM
I don't want to stand at matches, but I understand there are many that do want to and they should be catered for.

The Hillsborough tragedy was a big wake up call and should be the catalyst to introduce a whole range of improvements in policing, ticketing and accommodating spectators to a few.

It seems that there has to be a war on before we get any serious original thinking from some organisations. The football authorities really do drag their heels most of the time. This has taken far too long to get sorted! :/

TundraWolf
19-02-2014, 01:01 PM
The delay in enacting this innocent ruling probably comes from the fear of a lawsuit should even one person stumble and fall, injuring themselves. Hopefully someone with backbone will go ahead with the idea of creating a standing area and three months later no one will think twice about it.

greystone16
19-02-2014, 02:54 PM
I stood for years on the North Bank and I can fully understand why others would like to have the chance to but my days of standing have long gone. I stopped going to away matches as I couldn't stand for 2+ hours which is the case of away matches today.

Woking88
19-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Valid point, Greystone. Away matches don't seem to cater for those who want to sit to watch the match, even though they are distributing seating tickets!

wolves71
19-02-2014, 03:47 PM
The same could be said in certain home sections. At away games, many have tried and failed to ask those in front to sit down, but it often leads to confrontation. Trying to enforce it when an away following consists of thousands is like fighting a losing battle. This not just a Wolves problem, it's an English football problem.