PDA

View Full Version : Jon Guthrie

Timon
19-02-2014, 02:17 PM
From the two games I've seen lately thought Jon Guthrie has played really well. For me he's looked the part so far in this spell & could be a great find.

On Sat he had the dubious task of man marking Donaldinho and did that job manfully. So I was really shocked to see that the Sentivale gave him just 5 on Sat including blame for the 1st goal. Sorry, that was down to a poor, poor clearance plus we had 3 CMs whose job it was to look after their midfield not the responsibility of our left back.

DGFG
19-02-2014, 03:01 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with the overall sentiment but the poor,poor clearance you're referring to was by Guthrie!

Could have done better with the clearance, got his body into an awkward position but it was n't an easy one to make - a little unlucky that it went straight to Judge and he then did what he did.

But,yes, overall seems very progressive - something about the lad that makes you want him to do well! Applies to all of them obviously but especially Guthrie.

AstonAlex
19-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Agree with the sentiments expressed 100%. Seems two footed but better on his left and, well though Toots has played there for the past couple of seasons, we do look better balanced with a leftie and LB.

In my humble opinion, if George Ray is worth a contract extension then giving a contract to Guthrie is a no-brainer.

VindePays2009
19-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Leave the poor lad alone.

You might just as well say that Inman gifted Bradford their first goal by heading it out straight to one of their players (admittedly near the halfway line). But people don't.

Let's not dismantle Guthrie any more than some posters deconstruct Osman. All are committed to League One football next season, in spite of recent results around the trapdoor going against us.

fevver_tox
19-02-2014, 07:51 PM
The lad has impressed me,my only concern is that his crossing can be better.I base that on his corner that went in then out(wind may of been a factor)and landed on top of goal,and a cross shortly after that went nowhere.If only he had a left foot like Gregor,I'd be raving about him. :) But he's young and will improve.

alexmick
20-02-2014, 11:26 AM
I think that you only have to hear what Steve Davis has to say about this lad (who remember was plucked out of a very low tier of English football) to realise that he has great potential. Jon is still new to the professional game and is of course still learning his trade. Yes, he didn't have the best of games against the league leaders and he is entitled to make the odd mistake, but against Sheffield United he was fantastic and could easily have scooped the MOTM. He is a very good prospect for the future in my mind.

Timon
22-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Thought he was fantastic today against a variety of opponents. Keep it up Jon!

bonehead
23-02-2014, 10:54 AM
could be the next john brayford

TwiceInABlueMoon
23-02-2014, 07:17 PM
Guthrie was superb yesterday. Looks a really good player.

You can see how much he has progressed since being at the Alex and his confidence is growing by the day. You just have to watch interviews of new and old to see his personal progression.

He is starting to get some consistency and clearly has the ability. What a rise as well... Pewsey Vale to L1. Delighted for the lad.

2 year contract extension should be on the table tomorrow, IMO.

AlexLeicester
23-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Guthrie was superb yesterday. Looks a really good player.

You can see how much he has progressed since being at the Alex and his confidence is growing by the day. You just have to watch interviews of new and old to see his personal progression.

He is starting to get some consistency and clearly has the ability. What a rise as well... Pewsey Vale to L1. Delighted for the lad.

2 year contract extension should be on the table tomorrow, IMO.

I agree with this. Guthrie showed real commitment when he came to Crewe from deepest, sleepiest, Wiltshire, and he has gone on to prove himself. It was great that the people down there financially supported him while he was on trial, and now Guthrie is showing us and them just how valuable good coaching can be.

There are a few who have come good of late: take a bow Inman and Grant, and a welcome return to form for Chuks.

alexmick
23-02-2014, 08:58 PM
There we go...you cannot judge a man on just one display (Brentford). Give him time and I am sure that he will repay the Alex for the faith they have shown in him. Listening to MW yesterday (no DAB), the commentary from the Vale perspective (and they were surprisingly very pro the Alex) suggested the MOTM was between Guthrie & Ellis. Say no more.