PDA

View Full Version : who would you pick against reading?

robinrover
20-02-2014, 05:58 AM
With a huge game against reading on Saturday who would you pick?I think a surprise element is needed.
Gk Robinson
Rb Henley
Cb Hanley(c)
Cb Kilgallon
Lb Spurr
Rm Conway
Cm Cairney
Cm Evans
Lm Taylor
Am dabo
Fw varney
Subs:Eastwood,Kane,Lowe,Olsson,Dunn,Gestede,Rhodes

This will look nothing like bowyers team but I feel this would be perfect against reading and if it all was going wrong enough quality on the bench to change it.

poltergeist
20-02-2014, 11:35 AM
With a huge game against reading on Saturday who would you pick?I think a surprise element is needed.
Gk Robinson
Rb Henley
Cb Hanley(c)
Cb Kilgallon
Lb Spurr
Rm Conway
Cm Cairney
Cm Evans
Lm Taylor
Am dabo
Fw varney

This will look nothing like bowyers team but I feel this would be perfect against reading and if it all was going wrong enough quality on the bench to change it.

I like your selection robin, although I would like to see Gestede start as i feel we need a big presence to cause Readings defence problems.

AucklandRover
20-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Gk Robinson
Rb Henley
Cb Hanley(c)
Cb Kilgallon
Lb Spurr
Rm Conway
Cm Cairney
Cm Evans
Lm Taylor
Am dabo
Fw varney

RR - unfortunately, it looks as if Evans is not ready, so there has to be a choice between Lowe, Williamson and (perhaps) Dabo for the "holding" role.
I would like to see both Cairney AND Dunn in the starting line-up, but that means sacrificing a wide player, if we do use one more defensively- minded midfielder OR two strikers.
I wonder if the following would work, with both Cairney and Dunn available to support Gestede.

Robinson
Henley Hanley Kilgallon Spurr
Conway Cairney Williamson Dunn Taylor
Gestede

robinrover
21-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Gk Robinson
Rb Henley
Cb Hanley(c)
Cb Kilgallon
Lb Spurr
Rm Conway
Cm Cairney
Cm Evans
Lm Taylor
Am dabo
Fw varney

RR - unfortunately, it looks as if Evans is not ready, so there has to be a choice between Lowe, Williamson and (perhaps) Dabo for the "holding" role.
I would like to see both Cairney AND Dunn in the starting line-up, but that means sacrificing a wide player, if we do use one more defensively- minded midfielder OR two strikers.
I wonder if the following would work, with both Cairney and Dunn available to support Gestede.

Robinson
Henley Hanley Kilgallon

Rvblue
21-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Does anyone have a clue what our best eleven is.

That has been the a major issue regarding our constency this season.

The odd match we have played well but we cannot put a run together. Injuries to Evans and Marshall have been big blows but that cannot disguise the fact that we have not been good enough again this season.

Wacked1212
21-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Eeeeerm...Alan Shearer

AucklandRover
21-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Does anyone have a clue what our best eleven is.

That has been the a major issue regarding our constency this season.

The odd match we have played well but we cannot put a run together. Injuries to Evans and Marshall have been big blows but that cannot disguise the fact that we have not been good enough again this season.

RVblue - it IS a problem, especially in midfield. Below, I have pasted a copy of a comment I made on another thread a couple of weeks ago. The list shows that we have 16 players who could realistically be said to be competing for four or five midfield positions. I have no idea how that problem can be resolved.

"In a way, our midfield comes in matching pairs:
Right: Conway & Marshall
Left: King & Taylor
Central Creative: Dunn & Cairney
Central Up-and-Down: Evans & Dabo
Central Holding: Lowe & Williamson.

This doesn't take into account Mahoney, Etuhu, Morris, Marrow, Judge and Olsson (some of whom are out on loan)

ROVERREDROSE
21-02-2014, 11:38 PM
No lowe? Bowyer won't drop him. Probably first on his team sheet. Central midfield is still our major weakness. Bowyer still doesn't have a clue what his best 11 is, nor do I!
One thing is for certain though lowe will be in it. HA

robinrover
22-02-2014, 05:41 AM
This has been bowyers biggest mistake this love affair with Williamson and Lowe playing both together is an invitation for opposing teams to attack when Evans is back to full fitness neither of these players should be in the first 11.

Rvblue
22-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Totslly agree that CM is where we have mainly been outplayed this season. It is also where the game is controlled from.

We have one of the leagues top scorers and we have 11 clean sheets this season.

If GB needs to find why he is only midtable he needs look no further than the central 2 positions. Lack of quality in posession and distribution means they give the opposition the initiative too often. They cannot feed the forwards either so compounds the problem.

We will not progress until he gets better quality in there.

Despair
22-02-2014, 01:21 PM
It appears that more and more are now acknowledging our weakest point, which has been the case for some 2 seasons now.
It is midfield where we fail most notably.
Midfield is where you mount your 'challenge' to contain and/or assault your opposition.
On both counts we fail miserably.
Yes we have a striker who can 'put them away'. And yes we do have IMO a fairly decent defence.
It is now almost resigned to the 'archives', our former decent midfields who could fairly comfortably do the job in hand.
Our present midfield (that is the one preferred by GB) is not even a pale shadow of what was some 3 yrs+ back.
And the crying shame is that we do appear to have the players who COULD maybe do a decent job at this level.
That is my saddest observation of our present 'game plan', and why IMO we will finish as I have always thought tween 6th and 11th.
To sneak into 4th/ 5th would be some achievement with our recent approach.

robinrover
22-02-2014, 03:31 PM
It is our weakest position but does it need to be? cairney is absolute quality in that position Evans is pretty much there(fitness wise)and dabo Is looking a very good player past 2 reserve games he looked a touch of class.
So why oh why is Lowe and Williamson picked it is just inviting teams to have a go.