PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Curlers

Palmyman
20-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Congratulations to our three curlers from Lockerbie David Murdoch, Anna Sloan and Claire Hamilton on their bronze and in David's case at least a silver medal at the Olympic Games in Sochi. Are any of the trio Doonhamers - born in Cresswell, Dumfries as Wikipedia cannot be relied on for the truth.

BellyTubby
20-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Congratulations indeed. Both teams have acted with great dignity and supreme professionalism throughout the Olympics.

Britain/Scotland/Lockerbie can be very proud of them.

50% of all GB medals to-date from Lockerbie? The Mecca of winter sports for the UK!

Palmyman
20-02-2014, 01:08 PM
Queens chairman Mr Hewitson is from / stays in the Lockerbie area I believe so it would be nice if the club could invite our curlers to take a lap of honour at a future game at Palmerston.

QOS_MAD_ADMIN
20-02-2014, 01:14 PM
http://pictures.footymad.net/upload/429/824855-5.jpg

Congratulations to our three curlers from Lockerbie David Murdoch, Anna Sloan and Claire Hamilton on their bronze and in David's case at least a silver medal at the Olympic Games in Sochi. Are any of the trio Doonhamers - born in Cresswell, Dumfries as Wikipedia cannot be relied on for the truth.

According to FACEBOOK Claire is from Dumfries

B)

QOS_MAD_ADMIN
20-02-2014, 01:34 PM
During a tense Match against Switzerland This morning the Team GB Ladies Curling team that includes 3 Members from D&G Anna Sloan from Lockerbie , Vicki Adams from Stranraer and Claire Hamilton From Dumfries Have won and are Bringing Bronze Medals Home !

Palmyman
20-02-2014, 01:42 PM
The question I was asking Shanty was any of our local curlers born in Dumfries not where they stay. Vicki for instance was born in Edinburgh

Deke
20-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Just shows the influence that the ice rink in Lockerbie had.

arrol1919
20-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Many congratulations to the girls . Let's hope the lads win Gold tomorrow .

Hopefully we'll see both groups invited to Palmerston to show off their medals .

I've really enjoyed watching the curling , never thought it could be so exciting .

Well done TeamScotland , eh sorry TeamGB :)

MrGoo
20-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Hi its highly probable since Anna Sloans dad was from Kirtlebridge...

Edqos1
20-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Yes, well done to the girls and good luck to the men tomorrow. Must confess I had a few days off last week and ended up watching huge chunks of curling. They call it 'Chess on Ice' and I see what they mean, it's fascinating watching a game all the way through.
Will be interested to hear about their Dumfries connections, although given their ages it's more likely I might know their Mums and Dads...

jzee
20-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Reference birth places I believe the links with Dumfries are pretty strong.Dave Murdoch's parents farmed just outside Lockerbie and are still involved at Lockerbie ice rink. Think Claire Hamilton is also from Lockerbie but her parents now live on Moffat road . Not sure about Anna Sloan but the Adams girl hails from Wigtownshire and could well have been born in Dumfries.

corybungo
21-02-2014, 08:13 AM
the Adams girl hails from Wigtownshire and could well have been born in Dumfries.

Any relation to Jamie Adams?

Palmyman
21-02-2014, 11:02 AM
Interesting to read that Vicki Adams was born in Edinburgh and spent her early years in Majorca before the family moved back to the Cleyhole.

palmylad
21-02-2014, 03:38 PM
The lads lost 9-3 . TeamGB conceded after 8 ends .

Nothing went right for them today ...

Silver medalist though - well done to both the men's & woman's curling teams

Palmyman
21-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Yes well deserved silver medal but never at the races this afternoon in a very one - sided final against a brilliant Canadian team.