PDA

View Full Version : Home Truths

steeplejack
22-02-2014, 05:55 PM
From todays starting 11

Wood; Only two games played, so difficult to judge,

Little: No better than Banjo and certainly no better than Baxter

Hamilton: Very disappointing season, no penetrating runs, seems to be low on confidence

Travis: Blooter the ball up the park mentality, very poor in possession, needs to add composure to his game

Keddie: Experienced and composed, probably our best defender, tho there is not much competition!

Nicol: Shows desire and adds steel, a good acquisition to the team

Chisolm: Oh dear, slow, no goal threat, and no cutting edge. No better than Keith Gibson

Sheerin: Quality, but only with intelligent players alongside him, can open a defence with a slide rule pass, but without a Doris S****ie or Falky running in behind, then its the end of a very good career

Linn: best player of the season by a country mile, direct running, if only he could add goals to his game,

McMannus: Couldn't get a game for Forfar, Bayne wasn't the answer and Milne on paper

maroonie
22-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Can't defend, can't outscore opponents all the time. Can't recall any successful side in recent times that wasn't built on defending properly. Div 3/ League 2 or whatever our bottom division is called beckons.

lichtiekev
22-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Completely agree..awful again..how Chisholm plays is baffeling...our keeper never touched ball for opening 25 mins apart from picking ball out net. The worst thing is everyone of the players forfar got from us would walk back into our team..gaffer needs to stop playing and manage but I agree its to late and we are doomed

housecaptain
22-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Agree with all the comments and Sheerin should go now to allow a new manager to come in and assess the situation for next season.If P.S. left or was dismissed I am sure he would struggle to find a position in league 2 such is his standing.There was great disquiet in the sections of the terracing I was standing in that he should go and if we are relegated there are a lot of people who will not be returning.
Our defence is and has been abysmal.Time for action to be taken.

lifelonglichtie
22-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Agree with your assessment but would add something to your summing up of Sheerin. He WAS a quality player, now he is a liability. He was at fault for the first goal today and was generally awful. Surely someone in the coaching staff has the guts to tell him he is finished!
We played well at Ibrox without him (presumably because he knew himself he can't run). Today we improved once he went off as no longer did everything have to go through him. He just slows everything down to his crawling pace.
We need to look toward rebuilding for next season but I am completely convinced it should not be left to Sheerin. It is obvious that our defence is entirely useless but what has he done about it? Nothing!
He should be sacked now and a new manager given the chance to assess which members of the current squad should be kept. Not many!

Bellevue
22-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Couldn't make the game today due to family commitments and was so disappointed when I heard the score on the car radio. I wonder if there are still optimists out there who believe we can now win 7 of our 11 remaining games to stay in this league?
The team has been crying out for a strong central defender since the start of the season. It is hard to believe that the management haven't seen what is so obvious from the terracing. A bit of pace in defence wouldn't go amiss either.
We have had a championship, a good season, and average season and this p**s poor season under Sheerin but he does try to get the team to play attractive football. So maybe we should stick with him and see if we can bounce back to this league, if we do get relegated.

Bellevue
22-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Forgot to add, why does Sheerin drop Banjo, who has been one of our most consistent players this season, yet continue to play Chisholm who has been one of the most inconsistent players this season?

timlichtie
22-02-2014, 09:51 PM
I don't think we'll be hearing any more calls to sign Marvellous Marvin. Young Leighton really skinned him for his goal. Great to see. Sign Macintosh, forget Marvin.

maroonie
22-02-2014, 11:37 PM
I don't think we'll be hearing any more calls to sign Marvellous Marvin. Young Leighton really skinned him for his goal. Great to see. Sign Macintosh, forget Marvin.
Quite agree Tim but our 2 central defenders know that they will be in every week as there is no other option.

timlichtie
23-02-2014, 09:04 AM
We've been in desperate need of at least 1 more central defender and have been all season. I know the club has tried to rectify this but has clearly failed and this is likely to be the cause of our sad end to the season.

Forfar were stacked with good central defenders yesterday and just stopped us then played on the break. Rubbish football but not relegation form.

Lichtielegend
23-02-2014, 09:14 AM
Think Sheerin should get the suit on and focus for the rest of the season on managing the rest of the players. He still has the ability but his sharpness is just gone and his feet can't keep up with his brain.

I think Little is better than Banjo but he simply had a shocker yesterday. I'd be happy enough to see Banjo play where Sheerin played yesterday. We could have done with it yesterday to double up on Gav.

No real complaints about the starting front pairing, given that neither will be fully match fit. I don't think Deuchar even broke into a jog but he seems to have a poachers instinct, just a shame that he missed the 2 gilt-edged chances that came to him. Doubtful he'll get a start due to lack of fitness. Hopefully it won't result in Robertson being frozen out though.

Cook will have to come straight back in and I hope Chris Scott gets some more game time too.

I happened to be standing just in front of Steeplejack at the end of the 2nd half, and I shared his frustration with Tra

timlichtie
23-02-2014, 09:42 AM
That's a pretty good summation by the Legend. I don't think many at the game would argue with that. Last week Sheerin was even poorer and came off at half time.

There are very few who believe that PS can do no wrong. We are all fans who really want to see the good times again and aren't convinced that changing managers is an answer. Agree that he should concentrate on managing now and turning things around.

ectolichtie
23-02-2014, 09:49 AM
Left at 0-3, 1st time I have done that, cant agree on Keddie he was as bad as any of the rest of them, Linn and Nicol apart, do agree if the manager's position is not under threat he needs to get into a suit on the touchlines,

I also understand the sense in replacing the manager and getting someone in, to appraise the squad for a "tilt" at League 2 next season, but whom

ClashCityRocker
23-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Arbroath outplayed Forfar in the entire first half, but due to a combination of good defending , not taking our chances ( including having the advantage of the wind )and an error in defence by Sheerin we went in at half time a goal down.

Forfar somehow managed to grind out two more goals which they barely deserved ( the didin't have the advantage of the wind in the 2nd half as the weather had settled down )- but somehow managed to catch Arbroath on the break.

Really frustrating how Arbroath are being beat by very ordinary , mediocre football teams - the only decent players Forfar have were the ex Arbroath players.

Arbroath's last game of the season is against Airdrie away from home - depending on how results go, things could go to the last game of the season to decide who will be playing in the relegation play offs.

In summary, yesterday was a dreadful result against a Forfar team who were also dreadful .

Brizaldo
23-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Chis should not be playing in Centre Mid, That position is shouting out for BANJO, Can peanuts not see that ????????

SassenachSteve10
23-02-2014, 11:31 AM
The joker in the pack...you're having a laugh mate
CCR

Arbroath1
23-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Again we have lost by one goal, some of our defending this season has been laughable yes but still the passing football is there for all to see. However we are in a results business and the results and there for all to see that is why we are bottom. I still believe the biggest loss to PS has been Brian Kerr we have never replaced him saying that Kevin Nicholl seems to be a good acquisition in that area strong and hard running, Chis i,m afraid really gone of the boil. Could,nt believe we were three down as where i was it was all arbroath and Forfar had three chances and took them. No way can we throw in towel as one win away from second bottom but if we have to consilidate in Div 2 then so be it. Agree with all posts we are certainly crying out for a dominant centre half but i,m sure they have been trying. Keep believing but don,t be too down hearted if we go down , look at EastFife, Stenny pushing the panic button, PS is the man to manage this great club, not so long ago we were the

stan3600
23-02-2014, 07:31 PM
As a very long time Lichties fan I think that since PS won us our first ever championship we owe him one relegation. So he should stay and have the chance to get us back up next season. If the first half of next season is bad he should find another career. I am a bit worried that his 2 seasons of success were built on bringing himself, Doris and S****ie from Perth, and I also agree that Brian Kerr was crucial, but for me we owe him one more chance.

ClashCityRocker
23-02-2014, 07:53 PM
According to the match stats on the BBC web site, Arbroath had 59% possession yesterday.

Arbroath had 11 corners - Forfar only had 1 ( yes one ), corner throughout the complete match !

Arbroath had 15 shots at goal ( 5 on target ) and Forfar had 9 shots at goal ( 5 on target ).

Arbroath were easily the best team yesterday, but we need to start winning games.

We need to start making out own luck - dreadful as Forfar were yesterday, they still managed to leave Gayfield with 3 points.

Mr_Refhater
23-02-2014, 08:24 PM
As a very long time Lichties fan I think that since PS won us our first ever championship we owe him one relegation. So he should stay and have the chance to get us back up next season. If the first half of next season is bad he should find another career.

I'm a young Lichties supporter. I've only been supporting Arbroath for 5 seasons now. I've been to every single game home and away this campiagn. Yet, I seriously don't think I'll be back if Sheerin is still in the job if we get relegated. He really does have to pay with his job if we get relegated. We owe him nothing now. Had he been relegated in his first season back in this division then yes, we may have had question to back him. Since then - his second season in charge - every step he has taken has been a backward one.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that I personally see a lot of fans turning their backs on the manager, if he is still in charge in League 2. Attendances ar

charlesedwardstewart
23-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Im firmly in the Sheerin must stay camp.

Three very good seasons out of four, some cracking players enticed to Gayfield, and the best football for years on show.

This season he was let down badly by Steve Milne, a proven goal scorer at every club he had been at, then very unlucky with injuries to loan signings Lee Erwin and Steven Doris.

Hamilton has had a poor season, and Little has just returned from a long injury, I also know for a fact he has tried to bring in a couple of young premier league players but they somehow think Arbroath is below them??

We are a small club who live within their means and I would take a relegation every day of the week over throwing silly money at a couple of big time Charlies just to avoid a relegation.

We ALL want the same thing, I bleed maroon, I would NEVER turn my back on my home town, I get angry/disappointed like every supporter, but at the end of the day im a Lichtie, and proud of the fact I support my local team.

ectolichtie
23-02-2014, 08:52 PM
As a very long time Lichties fan I think that since PS won us our first ever championship we owe him one relegation. So he should stay and have the chance to get us back up next season. If the first half of next season is bad he should find another career.

I'm a young Lichties supporter. I've only been supporting Arbroath for 5 seasons now. I've been to every single game home and away this campiagn. Yet, I seriously don't think I'll be back if Sheerin is still in the job if we get relegated. He really does have to pay with his job if we get relegated. We owe him nothing now. Had he been relegated in his first season back in this division then yes, we may have had question to back him. Since then - his second season in charge - every step he has taken has been a backward one.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that I personally see a lot of fans turning their backs on the manager, if

maroonie
23-02-2014, 09:04 PM
As said above, I think we should give Sheerin the chance to firstly keep us up, or get us back up if we go down. I have been going to Gayfield for more years than I can remember and recall some awful times ie the years with Fleming, Campbell, Cairney and others of that ilk. I also recall Albert Henderson receiving harsh criticism in his early days but the committee decided to stick with him and he went on to take us to unheard of heights. Ultimately it will be the board who take the decision on where we go from here. Let's hope they make the right decision for the long term future of the club.

Mr_Refhater
24-02-2014, 10:16 PM
I would suggest to you that your 5 years as a supporter have been pretty good

However, if we are relegated this season, that will be two relegations in 5 years! Just wanted to balance the argument a bit. Disappointing in that respect. I know many a fan will have been through worse experiences supporting the clubs they love. It would have been nice to think we could at least have consolidated, albeit in our third season, our position as a club in this division. Forfar and Brechin have managed it, yet we really should have the better of them. We are better than them, even if the league doesn't say so. On our day we play good attacking football. We just cannae f**king defend to save ourselves. The gaffer has never, ever sorted this flaw out and we now look to be on our way down. So very disappointing...

Mr_Refhater
24-02-2014, 10:44 PM
P.S. I'll be at East End Park tomorrow night supporting our boys and the gaffer while hope still remains. Love supporting the Lichties, yet it is with great regret that I cannot seriously follow a manager next season, all over the country, who lead us back to division 3(League 2)!

ClashCityRocker
24-02-2014, 11:50 PM
In 2011 Arbroath won the 3rd Division title under Sheerin - this was out very first senior honours in the club's 133 year history.

Last year Arbroath famously drew with Celtic in the cup at Parkhead and earned a reply at Gayfield.

Over the past 3 - 4 years the club had quality players such as Steve Doris and Josh Falkingham proudly wear the maroon jersey.

A few weeks ago one of the club's best players ( Bobby Linn ), signed a new 2 year deal.

New signing Nicholl is also proving to be a good addition to the team.

I think we can all agree that this season has been a big disappointment.

However, I think Sheerin has earned the right to be given another year as manager and deserves to be shown loyalty, support and unity.

Sheerin is a passionate, dedicated young manager and this season's setbacks can be used as a learning experience.

To help start planning ahead for next season, the board should offer Sheerin a new one year contract , this would allow him to get on with his job and r

housecaptain
25-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Unless I have been mis-informed Sheerin is at A.F.C. for another season anyway.
C.C.R, I and others are not in accord with your feelings regards giving him another season if we are relegated, sorry.He has had ample opportunity to rectify our problems in defence which have been glaringly obvious since last season.
We came into league 2 to stay not to be relegated.Chiels are facts that will na ding.

timlichtie
25-02-2014, 12:49 PM
I think HC is correct in stating that Paul still has another year on his contract.

I disagree that he's had his chance. He deserves the time to turn things round again, even if it is from League 2. At least we have had a good season of income from the Get and Pars. You only have to look at the disaster of Morton who sacked their manager and will now be relegated and miss both Rangers and Hearts games.

Those of us who stayed to the end on Saturday must appreciate that PS still has the players playing for him and that they were applauding the fans after the final whistle. I felt like leaving after Forfar's third, but I'm glad I didn't.

SassenachSteve10
25-02-2014, 01:00 PM
He won the THIRD division with a gang of EX PREMIER league players I think even you might have been able to do that CCR. He has had too long and done nothing about the DEFENCE weakness. Does he want relegation then win the THIRD div again so some see him as GOD again. It's a joke show him the door.

davedinburgh
25-02-2014, 05:13 PM
SS 10 cannie argue with your first 2 points

But whoa man brutal stuff " Does he want relegation "

1m the most cynical boy going with a real bad attitude ( nothing to be proud off ) but that was a bit strong Give him another shot if we go down who is out there perhaps another gem like he was or the usual (Scottish Football Mgr ) suspects Ill stick and no twist on this one

ectolichtie
25-02-2014, 06:51 PM
What we are now getting is the short termism that is now in the game, the modern way of doing things is that no manager gets a chance to "right wrong's", the clamour to change starts pretty much when you lose a game or two, we could sack Sheerin, get someone in, whom?

Bellevue
25-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.
I hope that Paul Sheerin will have gained experience through bad judgements made during the season and learned lessons about what is required to be successful in the lower leagues of Scottish football.
I expect him to be manager next season, come what may, and also hope that he will exercise good judgement when releasing and bringing in players and not having friends or favourites who are automatic selections regardless of form.
Amazing what a win tonight would do for morale on the pitch and on the terraces.

AFC1320
26-02-2014, 10:35 AM
A lot I agree with and a lot I do not.

I thought Paul McManus was excellent on Saturday with a lot of running and skillfull movement and very unlucky in the last second not to equilize.

Nicholl was the best player on the pitch by a country mile closely followed by Bobby Linn and how on earth we found ourselves 3-0 down was incredible even Loons fans admitted that and when you luck is out it is out.

Must admit though 3 out of our 4 defenders were poor on Saturday and Wood in goals never had a save to make apart from picking the ball out of the net 3 times!!

Douglas on the other hand had some great saves and rode his luck.

For 70 minutes we were the better team but alas they were direct and we lost soft goals.

Well done to the AFC fans who stayed to the end to applaud the Red Lichties off as they are given 100% effort.

Big mistake Peanut not getting in experienced defenders in January but regardless what league we are in next season I reckon he deserves a season to turn it around.

Lichtielegend
26-02-2014, 11:08 AM
The last 18 months have, for me, undermined Sheerin's earlier achievements and it's now looking more like those players won despite his presence, rather than because of it (not talking about Sheerin the player here).

The 'Sheerin can do no wrong' brigade are probably those who thought Baikie was a great manager.

housecaptain
26-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Would just like to comment on several items raised by others:
1.Who would we get as a manager,when most clubs advertise, the media normally state that around 20 applicants applied.Taking this as the norm and assuming 2/3ds are U.S. this leaves 6 to 7 applicants to choose from, with a short leet of 3.
2.Morton changed their manager and are floundering but so did Berwick, Cowdenbeath and Airdrie and they are now progressing up the leagues.Airdrie were 8 points behind us and are now 4 points ahead.
If we are relegated which is highly likely I do not think we will return to league 1 immediately.This is not about P.S.but A.F.C.and it is this that matters more than anything or anyone.

timlichtie
26-02-2014, 01:40 PM
The last 18 months have, for me, undermined Sheerin's earlier achievements and it's now looking more like those players won despite his presence, rather than because of it (not talking about Sheerin the player here).

The 'Sheerin can do no wrong' brigade are probably those who thought Baikie was a great manager.

There are very few "great" managers. We had one once when Albert Henderson was in charge. We showed faith in him and it paid off. Sheerin is still IMHO our best bet at least until his contract is out. We have some excellent players on contract and can build around them even if it is for another promotion push.

Lichtielegend
26-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Would just like to comment on several items raised by others:
1.Who would we get as a manager,when most clubs advertise, the media normally state that around 20 applicants applied.Taking this as the norm and assuming 2/3ds are U.S. this leaves 6 to 7 applicants to choose from, with a short leet of 3.
2.Morton changed their manager and are floundering but so did Berwick, Cowdenbeath and Airdrie and they are now progressing up the leagues.Airdrie were 8 points behind us and are now 4 points ahead.
If we are relegated which is highly likely I do not think we will return to league 1 immediately.This is not about P.S.but A.F.C.and it is this that matters more than anything or anyone.

Both good points. Plenty of coaches looking for an 'in' to club management. It's just blind loyalty for those to basically reject the 5 or 6 instances where a change has made a positive difference and focus on the 1 where it hasn't.

That's not to sugge

maroonie
26-02-2014, 06:43 PM
From a purely financial view, if as said above PS has another year of his contract to run, then it could be an expensive course to take as we would have to come to an agreement on the balance of his contract. That's not an excuse not to dispense with his services. Just saying. As posted above the issue is not about Sheerin but the future of AFC both financially and in football terms. We have 3 big games coming up Brechin away and the Fifers and Airdrie at home. If we could pick up 6- 7 points from them things could look a whole lot different. If we as fans get behind the guys on the park and stop speculating we might just get the necessary points. C'mon lichties. 100% support needed as never before. Let's get right behind the guys at the Glebe

Mr_Refhater
26-02-2014, 08:57 PM
We have 3 big games coming up Brechin away and the Fifers and Airdrie at home. If we could pick up 6- 7 points from them things could look a whole lot different. If we as fans get behind the guys on the park and stop speculating we might just get the necessary points. C'mon lichties. 100% support needed as never before. Let's get right behind the guys at the Glebe

Your quite right maroonie. Perspectively the situation would be improved with points in the next few fixtures.

However, having 'nailed my colours to the mast' I now know that I will not be back at Gayfield or anywhere, for League 2 games if Paul Sheerin is still in charge. I don't wish the guy any ill what-so-ever and generally believe him to be a 'top' man. Still, the fact remains the views above (those of a critical stance) cannot simply be viewed as 'knee jerk'. The signs were not good even as far back as - dare I say - pre-season. On a roasting hot afternoon in Warri

ectolichtie
26-02-2014, 09:43 PM
We have 3 big games coming up Brechin away and the Fifers and Airdrie at home. If we could pick up 6- 7 points from them things could look a whole lot different. If we as fans get behind the guys on the park and stop speculating we might just get the necessary points. C'mon lichties. 100% support needed as never before. Let's get right behind the guys at the Glebe

Your quite right maroonie. Perspectively the situation would be improved with points in the next few fixtures.

However, having 'nailed my colours to the mast' I now know that I will not be back at Gayfield or anywhere, for League 2 games if Paul Sheerin is still in charge. I don't wish the guy any ill what-so-ever and generally believe him to be a 'top' man. Still, the fact remains the views above (those of a critical stance) cannot simply be viewed as 'knee jerk'. The signs were not good even as far back as - dare I say -

Mr_Refhater
26-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Just getting in there before others do ectolichtie! As the forum subject states - "Home Truths". Very reactionary too, these forums you know...

Mr_Refhater
26-02-2014, 10:25 PM
[quote="Mr_Refhater". Very reactionary too, these forums you know...[/quote]

The "Home Truths" bit doesn't mean the home truth that I'm a c**k in case anybody's reading at this late hour!

timlichtie
26-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Some of these comments seem to suggest an element of choice over our supported team. A strange concept.

Most of us support AFC through thick and thin. Players, managers and boards come and go, but the Club always needs our support.

I'll be at Brechin on Saturday and Montrose next season if needs be.

Nonsmokingsmokie
27-02-2014, 02:49 PM
well said TL

Supporting your team is not just another `consumer' choice, its a commitment, usually lifetime. And it doesn't really matter the circumstances of any particular time period.

That's why its character-building not just mere consumption or entertainment. A lifetime following the Lichties has made me the bitter and twisted individual I now am

I can recall only every decade or so such a long and dismal run but it will end sometime. My advice would be, just grin and bear it - it makes the fleeting few successes which lie ahead all the sweeter

ectolichtie
27-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Some of these comments seem to suggest an element of choice over our supported team. A strange concept.

Most of us support AFC through thick and thin. Players, managers and boards come and go, but the Club always needs our support.

Well put, supporting a small team will at times have more downs than ups, that is what makes the ups better, that is just the way it is, and Mr Refhater I do not think you are a c**k

maroonie
27-02-2014, 07:48 PM

Well put, supporting a small team will at times have more downs than ups, that is what makes the ups better, that is just the way it is, and Mr Refhater I do not think you are a c**k[/quote]
Totally agree guys. Supporting a small club like ours involves more heartache than for instance the perennial trophy winning old firm but it means successful days like the title winning day and the draw at Celtic Park taste all the sweeter. It is these memories that sustain you during the spells of mediocrity as now. Heads up though guys, we will be back.

Mr_Refhater
27-02-2014, 10:31 PM

I too made a choice to support our club. Fair enough I haven't had to endure too many hard times, in my short time as a fan. That has to be taken into consideration when putting the current malaise into context. However, I'm very passionate about football and the team which I support. Passionate so much so that I have strong, yet considerate beliefs and views like any follower. A long analysis of the season, taking into account the previous season(2012-13) has brought me to the conclusion that a change is required if we are inevitably relegated.

Sadly, I desperately want to be back next season. I've seen every game this season an

Mr_Refhater
27-02-2014, 10:35 PM
ectolichtie - "Mr Refhater I do not think you are a c**k."

Ta! Never want to be nasty about our players, but it is difficult to not admit what is blatantly obvious, in front of your eyes sometimes...