PDA

View Full Version : Summer Clear Out... Team Motivation

berniefan
22-02-2014, 07:56 PM
I cannot understand the purpose of our manager declaring now that we need a " clear out in the Summer "
Surely his main job is to motivate the players to keep us in this league . What happens in the Summer is irrevelant .
Announcing a clear out serves no positive purpose other than to cover his own backside .
Telling us tonight that he team haven't won back to back is also stating the obvious .
Tuesday wil be interesting !

pompeygun
22-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Barkers reverse psychology. Except it worked in reverse. >:(

17thMay08
22-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Bernie, he's on a loser whatever he says, he'll wind some fans if tells it how it is & he'll wind other fans up if he papers over the cracks...However, I genuinely thought that we were defensively capable of not being on the end of a drubbing like that today

fullback
22-02-2014, 08:14 PM
The only way you could motivate our bunch of tossers is with a massive win bonus ,I expect we will be treated to the usual crap "we will want to put this right next game" or "we will show the fans this was a one off "Please spare me the bull****, we are rubbish and only a very lucky spell can save us now :blue: :blue: :blue: :blue: :blue: :blue: :blue:

philfridge
23-02-2014, 09:58 AM
I guarantee before next Saturday , will have that drivel in the News, pity they haven't got a reporter with the balls to chsllenge the usual platitudes.

PompeyScarf
23-02-2014, 11:29 AM
[quote="berniefan"
Surely his main job is to motivate the players to keep us in this league . What happens in the Summer is irrevelant .
Announcing a clear out serves no positive purpose other than to cover his own backside .
Telling us tonight that he team haven't won back to back is also stating the obvious .
Tuesday wil be interesting ![/quote]

We've always needed a clear out in the summer. Most of the team haven't been motivated all season and I can't believe people are still saying some of them still only look half-fit - in February! Are they not training because of injuries or laziness? Whichever, they have to go so Barker's right. But am not convinced he's the man to stick with long term. I think his contract is only a year? I hope there isn't an immediate extension clause if he keeps us up.

Corkhead
23-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Up until now I have been willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt as I thought we were making progress - very slowly but progress nonetheless.

Couldn't believe it when I read he was anticipating a summer clear out. Just what we don't need - yet more upheaval on the playing staff. What happened to evolution rather than revolution he was espousing not so long ago? He has had the time and finances to bring plenty of his own players in and now he is saying they are not good enough. When is all this ****ing about going to end ffs?

PompeyScarf
23-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Very unlikely that he was talking about the players he brought in - more likely he was talking about the players already at the club when he arrived after Whittingham. When a manager says 'a clear out' it's never the entire squad - just the dead wood.

midhurstblue
23-02-2014, 04:03 PM
RB can no longer use the excuse that there were only rubbish players here when he arrived, he has brought in a few of his own. He has plenty to say in themedia, but the fact is we are now in a much worse position in league 2 than we were when he arrived. Almost every club that have a new manager in league 2 start with good results and move up the table, we are the exception, we brought in a new manager and have slid down into real relegation trouble.>:( :blue: :/ :s

PompeyScarf
23-02-2014, 04:28 PM
He's only brought in a few as you say - need more than that to change things.

pompeygun
23-02-2014, 05:56 PM
He's only brought in a few as you say - need more than that to change things.
8 players is hardly a few Scarf.

PompeyScarf
23-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Blimey you're right, didn't think it was that many. Oh dear oh dear.

nonsuchmike
23-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Why do we have to wait for the summer? Can't the clear out start on March 1st or very soon after?

Was it not Dr Johnson who was quoted as saying:
"Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully"?

Whenever I was picked for a team, be it Rugby Union, League, Soccer, Hockey, Basketball, Cricket, Sailing or Athletics - I gave it my best shot, with all my efforts and to think of other team members as well who were in a better position to contribute. And I played right up until I was 47 in some sports.

This lot; well, they would scarcely qualify for the Priorsdean Pudding Club. Maybe the Manager is wondering how he was persuaded to take on this supposed lean machine of a team.

Stevie boy must be thinking of rice puddings and the team not being able to argue the skin off one.

The truth is when I'm over the moon, at the end of the day, bearing in mind that a season is made up of two halves, will we be as sick as a parrot if PF

bluekite
23-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Maybe he should be looking a little closer to home in the clear out department. Last 20 matches in management 3 wins..0/7 at Crawley followed by the sack and 3/13 here.
Yesterdays team which started had 5 of his signings plus a couple of others who he has given contract extensions to. In addition Shorey didn't make the starting line up ??? Taylor injured and the new striker on the bench. Presumably Carson, Bradley, Barcham and Wallace must be the players coming in for criticism unless he is already unhappy with his own choices. Not impressed!!!!!!! ( and not optimistic) :blue: :blue: :blue: :blue: