PDA

View Full Version : the long ball game.

connelljj
23-02-2014, 09:31 AM
LONG PASSES yesterday.

West Ham - 38

Southampton - 42

and guys say southamton pass the ball better than anyone in premier.

GARNETT
23-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Post it on their board, should cheer em up.

TOWIE
23-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Interesting stat reported in mail yesterday that for season so far
Soton, villa, Swansea had made the most long passes. Just shows you can
Pass the ball between the back as much as you want but stil hoof it.
The game is about goals at the end of the day.

mikeveep
23-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with getting it to the sharp end as soon as possible. Still good skills required to convert the good position into goals.

bonzosbest74
23-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Stats Schmats. Our 32% possession would be a far greater indicator of who passed the ball better. I'll happily take the win but let's not start taking the moral high ground and pretending everyone else plays sh!t football and we pass it around loads.

We are a defensive team who concede possession and put 10 men behind the ball, it's crude but very effective of late. We are the just like Wimbledon & Stoke were which is absolutely fine but we ain't Brazil and Southampton could easily have won yesterday.

Personally I would love to have a players like Adam Lallana, Ramirez, Shaw & Ward-Prowse at West Ham and no amount of stats will convince me that they are the new Rory Delap.

dagenhamJohn
23-02-2014, 02:33 PM
sod the high ground, but i'll take the 3 goals though! :)

bonzosbest74
23-02-2014, 03:14 PM

Me too many mate and the thee points too. . . . . .. . . . . but I won't pretend that I wasn't biting my nails whilst Southampton had wave after wave of attacks and two thirds of the game.

It is entirely possible to be grateful for the points and still understand that our team is a bit of a minger to watch.

We are the Pat Butcher to Arsenals Kate Beckinsale.

dagenhamJohn
23-02-2014, 03:30 PM

Me too many mate and the thee points too. . . . . .. . . . . but I won't pretend that I wasn't biting my nails whilst Southampton had wave after wave of attacks and two thirds of the game.

It is entirely possible to be grateful for the points and still understand that our team is a bit of a minger to watch.

We are the Pat Butcher to Arsenals Kate Beckinsale.[/quote]Pat Butcher was a looker back in the day mate :)

possession football means little if you don't score, not for the weak of nerves i'll grant you that 1, again this season is about staying up ..again!

think BS knows where our weakness lies and i reckon he'll do something about it in the summer, ( and no he won't resign) ; :D

bonzosbest74
23-02-2014, 04:31 PM

We are the Pat Butcher to Arsenals Kate Beckinsale.[/quote]Pat Butcher was a looker back in the day mate :)

possession football means little if you don't score, not for the weak of nerves i'll grant you that 1, again this season is about staying up ..again!

think BS knows where our weakness lies and i reckon he'll do something about it in the summer, ( and no he won't resign) ; :D[/quote]

And next season will be about staying up again and again...

Give Sam m

dagenhamJohn
23-02-2014, 04:38 PM

think BS knows where our weakness lies and i reckon he'll do something about it in the summer, ( and no he won't resign) ; :D[/quote]

And next season will b

BillyDWhizz
23-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Stats Schmats. Our 32% possession would be a far greater indicator of who passed the ball better. I'll happily take the win but let's not start taking the moral high ground and pretending everyone else plays sh!t football and we pass it around loads.

We are a defensive team who concede possession and put 10 men behind the ball, it's crude but very effective of late. We are the just like Wimbledon & Stoke were which is absolutely fine but we ain't Brazil and Southampton could easily have won yesterday.

Personally I would love to have a players like Adam Lallana, Ramirez, Shaw & Ward-Prowse at West Ham and no amount of stats will convince me that they are the new Rory Delap.

I agree with you but the sad fact is Sam has a style of play and he sticks by it.

He's more than happy to concede possession and back our midfield and defence to keep the opposition out and to an extent it works (80s Italy anyone?)

There were times yest

WHU
23-02-2014, 07:00 PM
32% possession at home means they played more long ball than us and more passes to feet than us period but pro-rata possession, we were the more direct team

i didn't go

those that went

who played the better football?

i know some don't give a fu(k we won 3-1 i get that but which team was easier on the eye? serious question. only seen brief MOTD highlights.

kirkup
23-02-2014, 07:15 PM
If you just like seeing the ball knocked backwards and sideways across the back four Southampton.

If you want to see the ball in the back of the net West Ham.

stevo1272
23-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Whether or not you went whu is neither here nor there,you know the answer before you asked it,I was there and it was Southampton.our football is a means to an end ,it's horrible to watch but at the moment it works and if it means we stay up then fair enough,they didn't run out of ideas,we got lucky,just like we did against Norwich,just like we did against Chelski,andI agree things have to change before we go to Stratford and they will,but not with the fat bloke in charge

kirkup
23-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Every time we win we're lucky, everytime we lose we're sh1te righto.

stevo1272
23-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Agree mate ,it is about putting the ball in the net and at the moment the goals are coming, we are showing resilience and belief and are hard to beat at the moment,pretty it is not...the way we play is alien to my football beliefs as it is to all of us but it is getting results and at the moment it will do for me

WHU
23-02-2014, 07:25 PM
cheers steve

it was actually a serious question for those interested

not read any papers, MOTD as ever briefish

fu(king take them wins all day as any supporter would and in a dogfight, it's never usually pretty down there

10th in the league 2014 still gets my same vote as 10th 2013 - don't want the guy as our manager

ain't opinions great

bonzosbest74
23-02-2014, 07:28 PM
Whether or not you went whu is neither here nor there,you know the answer before you asked it,I was there and it was Southampton.our football is a means to an end ,it's horrible to watch but at the moment it works and if it means we stay up then fair enough,they didn't run out of ideas,we got lucky,just like we did against Norwich,just like we did against Chelski,andI agree things have to change before we go to Stratford and they will,but not with the fat bloke in charge

I can't 'like' this post but I like it if you catch my drift ;D

stevo1272
23-02-2014, 07:39 PM
I think you've taken my comment about being lucky out of context,we are set up to play a certain way ,if your talking about playing passing football then in our last two home games we have been largely outplayed and over those two games we have had some luck,against Norwich it was Adrian who saved the day and yesterday it was the inept finishing by Southampton,we took our chances and won both games,you need an element of luck to win any game ...don't you agree?.

WHU
23-02-2014, 07:47 PM
you always need some luck steve

as adrian has been mustard of late, jussi saved us many times early doors

toady would say the keeper is part of the team and a tight back four and keeper is his priority

blackburn and bolton had keeper and defnce as priority and i didn't like watching that either

we are getting what was stated on the tin with this toad

i can see the logic very early doors getting everything battoned down to stop shedding goals but that will always be his priority

some take the win as be all and end all, more than i though at our place to be honest and that isn't a dig, we just can't play the academy/youth/football on the deck/peoples favourite second team cards any more

more importantly for me though, mostly, i just don't like it and see my point of wanting a bit more, just as valid as someone who just sees the 3 points as everything, as i say, all about opinion

poker game over, bad beat, night all

kirkup
23-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Of course you need some luck in any sport, not just football.

Adrian is a Goalkeeper, therefore not sure how it's luck when he makes saves, that he is there for.

As for Southampton, call it luck if you want, or maybe they were just inept on the day. A bit like there passing game >;)

ashikodi
23-02-2014, 07:57 PM
I was there, how I saw it pan out, we had a slow start, they scored, and we were pretty flat for 10-15 minutes. Then we scored, and were well on top, scored again, to take a fully deserved lead. We swamped them, and could've got another before half time.

Came out second half, admittedly sat back on the lead, but was under no real threat imo, hit the post and the bar. They made a sub, cut through us a couple of times (Collins at fault both times) but I certainly didn't feel that worried, like it appears some were.

To sum up, when we had our good spell, we scored 2 goals and looked a lot more threatening than they were when they had their late rally.

kirkup
23-02-2014, 08:05 PM
WHU

We was always a 2nd favourite team, because most of them used to spank our @rse, which is why Spurs are now my favourite second team :D

bonzosbest74
23-02-2014, 08:07 PM
WHU

We was always a 2nd favourite team, because most of them used to spank our @rse, which is why Spurs are now my favourite second team :D

XD XD mine too

JimmyV66
23-02-2014, 08:09 PM
He is going to hate this im sure...

But i agree with Ashikodi.

Made a nice change to not fall aprt after going a goal down. After the first 10-15 minutes i felt we dominated the 1st half.

Did sit back a bit to much 2nd half but always felt we could get them on the counter.

Did find it strange that despite being 2-1 down Southampton wasted so much of thier own time trying to play sideways football in thier own half.

Myself and one of the ST Holders who sits behind me were the only ones before the game who was confident of West Ham getting a win.

Southampton have had a cracking year but some are making them out to be a English version of Barcelona. That they most certainly are not.

mikeveep
23-02-2014, 08:11 PM
We are nearly there...

They had three midfielders who can play the ball out of defence to the feet of attackers, we had only one, plus one dedicated chaser and blocker and one token midfielder/goalhanger, who both had good games and did what they were chosen for.

Two more cultured midfielders needed...

Moderich,Mata and Mark has a ring to it.

ashikodi
23-02-2014, 08:11 PM
JIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMY :D

dagenhamJohn
23-02-2014, 08:14 PM
well peeps, like it or hate it we are on course to be in the Prem next season,
for all those who prefer their cigars ready rubbed get your hands out of your pockets!

at ease now.

bonzosbest74
23-02-2014, 08:14 PM
They had three midfielders who can play the ball out of defence to the feet of attackers, we had only one, plus one dedicated chaser and blocker and one token midfielder/goalhanger, who both had good games and did what they were chosen for.

That's a brilliant appraisal. . . . . genius in it's simplicity.

ashikodi
23-02-2014, 08:15 PM
We are nearly there...

Two more cultured midfielders needed...

Moderich,Mata and Mark has a ring to it.

We need a proper holding midfielder, Taylor is knocking his boIIocks out for the cause, but to progress next year, that is the position I'd be going all out to get some quality in.

bonzosbest74
23-02-2014, 08:16 PM
get your hands out of your pockets!

Ash has returned and he likes to keep his hands in his pockets at all times

bonzosbest74
23-02-2014, 08:18 PM
JIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMY :D

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

NordicMonkey
23-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Hi mates! So glad to see us winning again, have to respect our owners for trusting Big Sam. Of course it's easy to say now, i would had been happy to see him go a month ago.

Solid defending, leathal in the other end. Well done Irons.

Another point of view in this long ball topic.
This is Big Sam's tactic, everyone knows it. When it works we're hard to beat. It's ideal for McCarthy, O'Brian, Collins, Taylor, Noble, Nolan, C.Cole and Carroll of course. They are teamplayers and do whatever they're asked to do.

But Ravel Morrison, Nocerino, Borriello, Almero are totally different type of players and couldn't get even in starting line-up. I think that Joe Cole didn't suit Big Sams tactic at all, he was bought by his homecoming status. And they aren't worse than Taylor. Ravel's off, can't see Nocerino gonna stay with us after sitting on the bench, same goes with Almero.

If I see look a bit further than couple of GREAT 3points, can't see us getting too many classy players with Big Sam. H

Ironworks1
23-02-2014, 09:57 PM
I was there, how I saw it pan out, we had a slow start, they scored, and we were pretty flat for 10-15 minutes. Then we scored, and were well on top, scored again, to take a fully deserved lead. We swamped them, and could've got another before half time.

Came out second half, admittedly sat back on the lead, but was under no real threat imo, hit the post and the bar. They made a sub, cut through us a couple of times (Collins at fault both times) but I certainly didn't feel that worried, like it appears some were.

To sum up, when we had our good spell, we scored 2 goals and looked a lot more threatening than they were when they had their late rally.

Spot on for me.

This wasn't a repeat of the Norwich robbery. We gave away a dreadful early goal - the only tone they got in our box that half was Lambert's header.

Second half we sat back too much - they had two very good chances that they wasted - especially Lallana. We scored an

The_Jeepster
23-02-2014, 10:14 PM
As a Saints fan that was at UP yesterday I've read the above comments with interest. Despite losing I actually enjoyed the game, and as has been pointed out above, ultimately the only stat that counts is the times you put the ball in the opposition net...
But I am intrigued by the references I've read both here and on other threads to claims that Saints are the Barcelona of the South! I've never actually heard that from anyone before, and certainly no Saints fan. Although we have played some good one-touch stuff this season I wouldn't suggest that we'd give Barcelona much of a game.
My favourite comment so far this season was the radio pundit at St Mary's about a month ago who said in the first half that we had "out-Arsenaled Arsenal". An Alan Partridge comment if I ever heard one...

Dailly___7
24-02-2014, 12:32 AM
Just to go with what the OP was saying...

http://i60.tinypic.com/10e3h43.png

Now, I wouldn't call them a hoofball team, but I do find it amusing that their fans arrogantly look down on us as a long ball team and yet they fail to notice that they've looked UP in the air even more often than us ;D

I wasn't impressed with them yesterday and would assume most of the pundits who wax lyrical about them must just go along with the protocol of giving certain tags to certain teams.

It's easy to defend Allardyce when results are going well, and many people don't like it when you stick to your opinions about the man through good form and bad form. After the game yesterday, I had the nerve to question our manager in spite of another good win and was called a miserable c.unt and told to go and support Arsenal if I want to see pretty football :blue:

Nobody is happier than me with our recent turn of fortunes and I'm delighted that we've given ourselves a good chance of staying up,

gmhammer
24-02-2014, 12:41 AM

Exactly how I saw it. Yes they had lots of possesion and passing but to very little real effect. 1 or 2 heart in mouth moments but we caused a few of those ourselves. I was sat near the Saints fans and they were getting pretty nervous when we were on top.

WHU
24-02-2014, 08:17 AM

Spot on for me.

This wasn't a repeat of the Norwich robbery. We gave away a dreadful early goal - the only tone they got in our box that half was Lambert's header.

Second half we sat back too much - they had two very good chances that

WHU
24-02-2014, 08:19 AM
[quote="Dailly___7"]Just to go with what the OP was saying...

http://i60.tinypic.com/10e3h43.png

Now, I wouldn't call them a hoofball team, but I do find it amusing that their fans arrogantly look down on us as a long ball team and yet they fail to notice that they've looked UP in the air even more often than us ;D

I wasn't impressed with them yesterday and would assume most of the pundits who wax lyrical about them must just go along with the protocol of giving certain tags to certain teams.

It's easy to defend Allardyce when results are going well, and many people don't like it when you stick to your opinions about the man through good form and bad form. After the game yesterday, I had the nerve to question our manager in spite of another good win and was called a miserable c.unt and told to go and support Arsenal if I want to see pretty football :blue:

Nobody is happier than me with our recent turn of fortunes and I'm delighted that we'

bonzosbest74
24-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Nobody is happier than me with our recent turn of fortunes and I'm delighted that we've given ourselves a good chance of staying up, but I stand by what I said at the beginning of the month: Allardyce must not be our manager on the opening day of next season.

Very well said

kirkup
24-02-2014, 09:50 AM
As a Saints fan that was at UP yesterday I've read the above comments with interest. Despite losing I actually enjoyed the game, and as has been pointed out above, ultimately the only stat that counts is the times you put the ball in the opposition net...
But I am intrigued by the references I've read both here and on other threads to claims that Saints are the Barcelona of the South! I've never actually heard that from anyone before, and certainly no Saints fan. Although we have played some good one-touch stuff this season I wouldn't suggest that we'd give Barcelona much of a game.
My favourite comment so far this season was the radio pundit at St Mary's about a month ago who said in the first half that we had "out-Arsenaled Arsenal". An Alan Partridge comment if I ever heard one...

Think some of this came from comments on Saintsweb.

Whiskyman
24-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Nobody is happier than me with our recent turn of fortunes and I'm delighted that we've given ourselves a good chance of staying up, but I stand by what I said at the beginning of the month: Allardyce must not be our manager on the opening day of next season.

Whatever any of us think of Allardyce, and I don't think too many of us would have had him on our wish list, it's all very well saying get rid but if we get rid we also have to replace.

Realistically who would you, if it was your choice, replace him with? And please let's be realistic.

Dailly___7
24-02-2014, 02:24 PM

Whatever any of us think of Allardyce, and I don't think too many of us would have had him on our wish list, it's all very well saying get rid but if we get rid we also have to replace.

Realistically who would you, if it was your choice, replace him with? And please let's be realistic.[/quote]

Allardyce apologists usually use the "but who would you bring?" argument when you say you want him gone. I don't think that's a great reason to keep a manager. Not saying you are a Fat Sam defender by the way. Don't really know your stance.

I'd honestly have almost anybody over Allardyce.

Laudrap, Bielsa, Villas-Boas, Di Matteo, Di C

bonzosbest74
24-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Realistically who would you, if it was your choice, replace him with? And please let's be realistic.

Mate, I think being 'realistic' allows us to set our sights quite high considering there are only 12 clubs in the world that pay their manager more than we do so we're clearly not getting value for money.

I would go for Rafa Benitez, we can increase his wages, offer a good project and the prospect of building a new club plus his house and his wife are still in England. If someone like that is not realistic then why on earth are we paying top dollar for someone who ain't a top manager.

If we were paying 500k per year then all we can expect is a DiCanio or Powell but over THREE MILLION is what Klopp, Hiddink, Capello, Van Gaal & Riikaard earn. We need to start our preparation for Stratford somewhere and so why not dangle Sam's ridiculous wage packet and the prospect of a huge stadium in front of some quality managers? All

herbiehammer
24-02-2014, 05:01 PM

If we were paying 500k per year then all we can expect is a DiCanio or Powell but over THREE MILLION is what Klopp, Hiddink, Capello, Van Gaal & Riikaard earn. We need to start our preparation for Stratford somewhere and so why not dangle Sam's ridiculous wage packet and the prospect of a huge stadium in front of some quality managers? All they can do is say no.[/quote]
A saying that I use on a regular basis is "Its always a no if you don't ask"

dagenhamJohn
24-02-2014, 05:10 PM

Mate, I think being 'realistic' allows us to set our sights quite high considering there are only 12 clubs in the world that pay their manager more than we do so we're clearly not getting value for money.

I would go for Rafa Benitez, we can increase his wages, offer a good project and the prospect of building a new club plus his house and his wife are still in England. If someone like that is not realistic then why on earth are we paying top dollar for someone who ain't a top manager.

If we were paying 500k per year then all we can expect is a DiCanio or Powell but over THREE MILLION is what Klopp, Hiddink, Capello, Van Gaal & Riikaard earn. We need to start our preparation for Stratford somewhere and so why not dangle Sam's ridiculous wage packet and the prospect of a h

Whiskyman
24-02-2014, 05:11 PM

Realistically who would you, if it was your choice, replace him with? And please let's be realistic.[/quote]

Allardyce apologists usually use the "but who would you bring?" argument when you say you want him gone. I don't think that's a great reason to keep a manager. Not saying you are a Fat Sam defender by the way. Don't really know your stance.

I'd honestly have almost anybody over Allardyce

BlackDiamond
24-02-2014, 05:17 PM

[/quote]

Very true. It would seem sensible for the considerable outlay, to garner ambitions higher than simply avoiding the drop, finishing 10th.

However, our owners see Sam as a "good fit" and therefore we are slightly stuck with him, are we not.

I would suggest Steve McClaren would be a more progressive coach, but agree with Benitez as a good choice.

dagenhamJohn
24-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Brendan Rodgers was quoted as saying he preferred the Footie at Pool compared to Mourinho's style of grinding out results!

bonzosbest74
24-02-2014, 05:41 PM
However, our owners see Sam as a "good fit" and therefore we are slightly stuck with him, are we not.

We are indeed, I was just answering Whisky's question on post No42.

Most people suggests the usual suspects like DiCanio & Malky Macay as our next manager so of course Whisky would rather stick than twist with those as the options.

I was just offering an alternative thought on recruitment.

BlackDiamond
24-02-2014, 05:54 PM

I was just offering an alternative thought on recruitment.[/quote]

And I agree with you 100%. I had absolutley no scooby, that SA was 13th highest paid manager. Now I do, I am stunned that David Gold made the appointment.

By any measure or reference he is not 13th best manager. He is NOT. I repeat he is not the 13th best manager.

And the owners reference FFP...well what about Value For Money

bonzosbest74
24-02-2014, 06:11 PM

I was just offering an alternative thought on recruitment.[/quote]

And I agree with you 100%. I had absolutley no scooby, that SA was 13th highest paid manager. Now I do, I am stunned that David Gold made the appointment.

By any measure or reference he is not 13th best manager. He is NOT. I repeat he is not the 13th best manager.

And the owners reference FFP...well what about Value For Money[/quote]

To be fair to Gold he didn't initially make him the 13th highest paid manager, he was given a 500k salary with a 1m bonus for promotion and he earned every penny.

Mid way through last season he negotiated the current deal from a position of strength.

I'll dig out the list of managers wages for you.

bonzosbest74
24-02-2014, 06:13 PM
http://i58.tinypic.com/kt1d5.png

mikeveep
24-02-2014, 07:22 PM
"a target of promotion and then consolidation has been met "

This is my main concern. I think he has achieved promotion and then survival rather than consolidation..he'd got the back 6/7 up to a consistantly good standard since getting promoted. There was no need to spend much money/effort in improving in that area.

So with that unit in hand I am disappointed that we are not significantly closer to putting in good attacking performances on a regular basis than we were four windows back.

That said,I wonder if I would be complaining about something else,under another manager, if this was not the case.

WHU
24-02-2014, 07:31 PM
that's a well balanced post mike and not many will disagree with that

i'm with dailly_7 on the 'who next?' thing though. everyone has an opinion on a replacement, it varies massively. so you have a disunited and watered down reply. that should not be a reason to change what will not be a good long term appointment though. we have to aim much higher than just surviving with dire football the majority of the time ffs. out funding and long term funding is high and getting higher. we need a longer term plan as liverpool did with rodgers. he struggled early doors, they kept the faith as they liked the mans ethos and football, funded him, then watched the bulbs flower long term.

edit: i cannot believe that dinosaur (unt is that high in the money list. fu(king funny old game, without the laughter.

TICKER
25-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Big Sam in until 2020 that way the board have played the long ball game,with some quality players coming in and perhaps Morrison fulfilling his potential we might see the flowing football we all seem to desire and some European nights to boot!