PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2016 draw

jwok
23-02-2014, 11:42 AM
So, Scotand will face Germany, Georgia, Gibraltar, Poland and Ireland!

Can we finish 2nd or 3rd?

LawSteelman
23-02-2014, 01:55 PM
No, its another poor draw for Scotland and I think its safe to say that they won't be going to Euro 2016 as Germany will romp that group with 2nd and 3rd being between Ireland and Poland. Even if Scotland did manage to scrape 3rd they'd only lose the playoff.

dazlhigh
23-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Disappointing draw... again. Germany are clearly strongest, but I'm not sure that any of the other countries can look forward to many 'away' points. If we nail it at home - and we've been looking better at Hampden recently - and scramble a point or two away we might not be out of it.

bheron
23-02-2014, 02:53 PM
I am not as pessimistic. Other than Germany, I think all the other teams (Except Gibraltar) will take points of each other, giving us a chance to sneak in there.

wellbred
23-02-2014, 05:40 PM
What a relief. I thought it was only Motherwell that LSM was pessimistic about.

sieb1886
23-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Got the Jerries first, away. Hopefully, they'll be slow off the mark. Best we can hope for is 3rd. Still, I won't learn my lesson and will be rooting for the lads until we're out of it !

steviex
23-02-2014, 07:49 PM
What a relief. I thought it was only Motherwell that LSM was pessimistic about.

Scotland are cack. To be fair the pessimism is justified. Our record at Hampden is dismal.

LawSteelman
23-02-2014, 11:24 PM
Interesting point about their record at Hampden as that'll still be out of commission to football matches until February 2015 following the commonwealth games so the first few games will either be at Ibrox or Parkhead so whether that will help or hinder the Scots will be interesting. Saying that though if they play the Irish at Celtic Park it'll be like a home game for the Irish as they'll have more support in the crowd than Scotland will.

But none of that will matter in the grand scheme of things as Scotland do not have it in them to qualify for a major tournament at the expense of Germany, Ireland or Poland. They don't have the quality and more importantly perhaps, like us at club level, don't have the gumption for it. The very best they can hope for is to just pip one of them to third and then take positives from the inevitable glorious failure that follows in the playoff. It's the Scottish way.

Sup3rw3ll
24-02-2014, 10:52 AM
i wouldn't be so quick to write the team off. Bar germany, who are looking to win the whole thing and take qualifying as given, poland are only 2 pts above in co-eff and the rest below. I think we have had some good performances of late; for example czech republic. So lets see how it goes.

skippy91
24-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Would it be a good time to bring Bertie back into the Scotland set up for some inside information on Germany...ffs just a thought!!!!! ;D ;D :D

JymBob
25-02-2014, 03:37 PM
No, its another poor draw for Scotland and I think its safe to say that they won't be going to Euro 2016 as Germany will romp that group with 2nd and 3rd being between Ireland and Poland. Even if Scotland did manage to scrape 3rd they'd only lose the playoff.

Think we can be a little more optimistic for this campaign. We certainly don`t have any superstars but if the manager can organise and create a "club like" spirit we might just give the Tartan Army something to sing about. (I remember the last time we qualified for a tournament after a long absence and would like to experience that feeling once again)