PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2016

Woking88
23-02-2014, 06:23 PM
The draw has just been made and we've got Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Lithuania and Switzerland.

So it says on the Bennies site!

MichiganWolf
23-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Was just about to post this as well.

Group A
Netherlands, Czech Republic, Turkey, Latvia, Iceland, Kazakhstan,
Group B
Bosnia & Herz, Belgium, Israel, Wales, Cyprus, Andorra
Group C
Spain, Ukraine, Slovakia, Belarus, Macedonia, Luxembourg
Group D
Germany, Ireland, Poland, Scotland, Georgia, Gilbraltar
Group E
England, Switzerland, Slovenia, Estonia, Lithuania, San Marino
Group F
Greece, Hungary, Romania, Finland, Northern Ireland, Faroe Islands
Group G
Russia, Sweden, Austria, Montenegro, Moldova, Liechtenstein
Group H
Italy, Croatia, Norway, Bulgaria, Azerbaijan, Malta
Group I
Portugal, Denmark, Serbia, Armenia, Albania, France (only playing friendlies to reduce stress of scheduling friendlies. Something they should have been doing for years for host nations in UEFA and FIFA, but I digress)

With the Euro expanding to 24 teams, it would take a really poor campaign from the bigger nations to fa

wolves71
23-02-2014, 07:38 PM
I expect both England and Switzerland to go through from Group E. I don't agree with France being allowed to take part in the qualifying process as hosts.

MichiganWolf
23-02-2014, 07:47 PM
I expect both England and Switzerland to go through from Group E. I don't agree with France being allowed to take part in the qualifying process as hosts.

Why not? Both France and the teams in the group of 5 would have had to schedule friendlies anyways, so why not just have them play France but not count the results towards the group tables?

I think it's fishy that France is the first country to benefit from this, but I still think it is a good idea and should continue going forward.

wolves71
23-02-2014, 07:52 PM

Why not? Both France and the teams in the group of 5 would have had to schedule friendlies anyways, so why not just have them play France but not count the results towards the group tables?

I think it's fishy that France is the first country to benefit from this, but I still think it is a good idea and should continue going forward.[/quote]

I think already knowing they will be hosting and playing at the tournament should mean they should not play in group stages. I think including them benefits their preparations. There is more at stake in qualifying for the others in the group that find themselves included with France. Platini no doubt championed the idea.

MichiganWolf
23-02-2014, 08:11 PM

I think it's fishy that France is the first country to benefit from this, but I still think it is a good idea and should continue going forward.[/quote]

I think already knowing they will be hosting and playing at the tournament should mean they should not play in group stages. I think including them benefits their preparations. There is more at stake in qualifying for the others in the group that find themselves included with France. Platini no doubt championed the idea.[/quote]

Yeah, it's defin

wolves71
23-02-2014, 08:25 PM
There is logic in what they are doing and why they are doing it as you say. It means the host nation gets to play on a regular basis as those trying to qualify. Finding time before this option and getting sides to agree to a friendly has in the past been difficult.

wolves71
24-02-2014, 09:11 PM
I was just looking up how the draw was made yesterday. England, Germany, Italy, Spain and Holland told they must be in six-team groups for TV broadcasters.