PDA

View Full Version : U21s v, Derby

AlexLeicester
24-02-2014, 04:11 PM
Just got back from a very entertaining and interesting 'Development Squad' game against Derby at the Rams' training ground. I was a bit surprised at the team, considering we have a game against Stevenage tomorrow: Phillips; Ryan Allcock, Kelvin Mellor, James Jones, Louis Johnson , and Joe Kearns; then Joe Howell, Olly Turton, Vadaine Oliver, Billy Waters and George Cooper.

In the first few minutes a sloppy, sleepy uncoordinated defence allowed a slick Derby attack to score. Phillips did not stand a chance. It was backs to the wall stuff for most of the first half and then the game changer. Vadaine Oliver was sent off for a silly foul on about 50 minutes, and we started to look much better!

Instead of the lone striker Oliver, Billy Waters took much more control up front and worked well with George Cooper on the wing. Ten minutes later it was Cooper who scored the equalizer. Good strike, well worked.

On 65 minutes Fraser Murdoch replaced Joe Howells, who reminded me of a Max Clayton i

ChalkDust
24-02-2014, 04:38 PM
Cheers for that AL although I read an alternative match report to say that Derby netted after 13 seconds?

A bit like us conceding yesterday after 40 seconds lol although we have done the two top teams with quick goals after 24 and 29 seconds this season ;D B) ;)

Still a good run out although I don't think VO would go down to well.

AlexLeicester
24-02-2014, 04:43 PM
Apologies. For 'minutes' read 'seconds'. We really did start as if the hangover from Saturday night had not gone away. :-D

Oliver looked very sheepish as he walked back for his early bath. The pitch was a bit Sunday league: it's a long time since I stood on a muddy bank to watch a game.

AlexLeicester
24-02-2014, 04:51 PM
I've just read the Rams report on their web site.
'James Bailey dictated the game'! He was anonymous for much of it. How about 'Fraser Murdoch was the Alex's crucial game changer!'

sacrewebleu
24-02-2014, 06:03 PM
ID love to sing "there is only one james bailey" but I think there's two, our own who plays for the 21s who from your team didnt play and a derby lad who I think left us with Brayford years ago. He must be about 25, so was he their over age player amongst others ?

I think you astutely pick out what I see when I go, ie Murdock is very promising, and Saunders just needs time to develop physically before he can be judged. Jones seems to be well thought of on this forum, ive only really saw him in the 18s last year and thought he gave the ball away an awful lot, hopefully he just needs to choose his passes better as you can probably get away with that at youth level, but not higher.

As for the sending off, another overage player ruling himself out of the 21's ! Hopefully Max, Coco and Ray will be fit to help the lads as the line up sounds very young today, so they should be congratulated as Derby have a strong set up, most of their second year scholars getting pro deals last year.

ShropshireAlex
24-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Interesting to see Olly Turton played, AL, as the OS said earlier he and Nolan had been withdrawn as cover for tomorrow, with Abdul Osman unable to travel to Stevenage.

Vadaine - what a plonker!

I see from Rams' site that it was a Phillips Legzdins reunion too!

fevver_tox
24-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Timed the Derby goal at 12 and a half seconds. :O Our defender kicked the ball and hit Derby player,who then went straight into area and scored.As for our goal,for a while I thought we'd missed as ball didn't snuggle in net,but went through net. :D