PDA

View Full Version : Etheridge back on loan - now for the comments!

AlexLeicester
25-02-2014, 01:03 PM
The young Fulham stopper has rejoined us until mid April. From the comments on the Garratt thread that is going to be quite divisive.

My personal view is that Ben has done a fantastic job and keeps improving, but Etheridge proved to be a real bonus in his short time with us. On balance, and given our precarious league position, I'm happy to see him back.

But I may be alone ...

ChalkDust
25-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Agree with your comments AL.

AlexLeicester
25-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Agree with your comments AL.

Huh. And here's me trying to be the ****siest bit controversial. X-D

Just as an aside, Phillips looked very good with the U21s yesterday and made a brilliant one-handed save late on. For most of the match though he was uncharacteristically quiet, but always seemed to be in the right place, even though he had little to do.

whosbrianwilson
25-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Was always going to happen once he was fit.

I'm sure Steve feels that he can't risk the most important 14 games of his life with a very young inexperienced keeper. Ben has done really well, but like any young player learning his trade, he will need taking out of the firing line at some stage.

Just one question. How come a 93 day loan only takes him to mid April? Even if you include the first 30 day loan then he should be with us til the end of April.

Timon
25-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Not sure this sends the correct signal to Ben. Think he's doing a great job for us.

Crewe313
25-02-2014, 01:51 PM
I am unsure about this. I agree Etheridge was a class act in the little we saw of him.

However, I think we can all agree Ben has been outstanding and deserves the number one shirt. Obviously Etheridge hasn't come here on loan to be a back up which suggests Ben will be dropped.

I think it will be interesting to see how it is handled by Steve and it is good to have strong competition in that role for once.
However, my personal thoughts are keep with our own, Ben will only get better through playing and has shown he has deserved his place.

ChalkDust
25-02-2014, 01:52 PM
We stay up and Ben will be number one for us next season and will be stronger for paying a part in potentially avoiding relegation.

One_Dean_Ashton
25-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Not sure this sends the correct signal to Ben. Think he's doing a great job for us.

If Steve has managed it correctly (and I'm sure he has), I really don't see it as a problem.

How about...

'Ben, you've done brilliantly for us... you've really proved that you can perform at this level, and shown that you can be our number one keeper next year.

However, due to the situation that we're in, I think it's best for your development to have a rest. I don't want you to suffer a setback in a crucial game because it could really effect you psychologically in the future.

You will play in all the U21 games and if Eldridge gets injured again or doesn't play as well as you, you'll be straight back in. What I will say is that if you continue to show the type of form that you have done and develop physically, then I'd love you to start next season as our number one.'

Now, if I were Ben, whilst I'd want to play games, I'd be quite happy with that

alexbarmy
25-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Ben's had a good run of games for a keeper of his age.

Sit him down explain the rationale to him and he'll understand. He started as 3rd choice keeper so he's done well.

Crewe313
25-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Any young player, in any position, will not take well sorry we are dropping you because its the best for your development. Especially when you are in good form and can hold your own at that level!!! And if they did then I would question there desire to play at the highest possible level. It will do a world of good for his development to play the remainder of this relegation battle. Talking about physchology, young players are more apt to move on from any mistakes. Also what age is then acceptable to play a Goalkeeper as no 1? maybe next year will be to early to?

One_Dean_Ashton
25-02-2014, 02:59 PM
[quote="Crewe313"]Any young player, in any position, will not take well sorry we are dropping you because its the best for your development. Especially when you are in good form and can hold your own at that level!!! And if they did then I would question there desire to play at the highest possible level. It will do a world of good for his development to play the remainder of this relegation battle. Talking about physchology, young players are more apt to move on from any mistakes. Also what age is then acceptable to play a Goalkeeper as no 1? maybe next year will be to early to?[/qu

we obviously come from different angles on this so lets agree to differ.

If you read my post, I acknowledge that Ben will be disappointed and want to play. However, I think he'll also understand that the club are acting in his best interest if its managed appropriately.

If Benm makes an error in a game that gets us relegated, that may take him some time to recover from at th

ChalkDust
25-02-2014, 03:53 PM

If Steve has managed it correctly (and I'm sure he has), I really don't see it as a problem.

How about...

'Ben, you've done brilliantly for us... you've really proved that you can perform at this level, and shown that you can be our number one keeper next year.

However, due to the situation that we're in, I think it's best for your development to have a rest. I don't want you to suffer a setback in a crucial game because it could really effect you psychologically in the future.

You will play in all the U21 games and if Eldridge gets injured again or doesn't play as well as you, you'll be straight back in. What I will say is that if you continue to show the type of form that you have done and develop physically, then I'd love you to start next season as our number one.'

Now, if I were Ben, whilst

AstonAlex
25-02-2014, 06:14 PM
I think Ben has been great and will be unfortunate to find himself warming the bench again. However, I remember the first time we got to a play off final at Wembley and lost on pens to York City. The fella who missed the crucial penalty, Gareth Whalley, had had a great season but the miss seemed to knock his confidence and it took him most of the following season to get back to where he once was.

Ben must be number one next season though.

Teammoo
25-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Does anyone KNOW if part of the loan states that if fit Etheridge must play as I seem to remember this caveat being in another loan deal for a goalkeeper a couple of years back. >:(

We didn't like it then.

On the subject of Ben v Etheridge, I think that Etheridge will give us a bit more steel at the back and boy that is something we could do with, but I do think that Ben IS good enough to claim the gloves at this level and although he will make mistakes he would not cost us relegation.

Either way SD is the man with the decision and he hasn't got many wrong so far.

alexmick
25-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Team selection now available and Ben is dropped to the bench. This I cannot really understand, especially considering the lad has done so well for the team in recent weeks. I can only guess that the Fulham keeper has to play if fit, as was the case with the winger we had on loan from their before Xmas. Don't play him and face the penalty of paying his wages. Surprising really, because in today's Sentinel, Steve said he would play the same 11 (barring injuries) that beat the Vale.

The other change is Evans, who is injured. Nolan deputises and Crewe can only 5 subs.

Downer
25-02-2014, 07:46 PM
I agree with Mick on this one. If its not broken then don't fix it. If Ben had been playing poorly then fair enough, but i think he has been doing really well and the team is really starting to gel again. The keeper from Fulham has been injured, is he match fit? Surely he should have a couple of res games or at least a few training sessions to make sure he is up to scratch. Very disappointed for Ben and i hope it does not backfire on S D.

alexmick
25-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Problems with communication with his defenders during this first half according to commentary. I am beginning to wonder why Etheridge is playing tonight, having been out injured for so long and not having played any competitive matches. Moreover, he has not even had the opportunity to train with his new colleagues since before Xmas.

DGFG
25-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Was always going to happen once he was fit.

I'm sure Steve feels that he can't risk the most important 14 games of his life with a very young inexperienced keeper. Ben has done really well, but like any young player learning his trade, he will need taking out of the firing line at some stage.

Just one question. How come a 93 day loan only takes him to mid April? Even if you include the first 30 day loan then he should be with us til the end of April.

First loan carries forward 45 days (see link below) - presumably we were still clocking up the days when he went back injured.

Therefore Ben (or Steve?) will have to play in the last four games which could be crucial.

Could turn out to be an inspired decision if we're all but safe by the time Etheridge goes back, could come back to bite us if we have to throw Ben (or Steve) back in to a relegation cauldron for the last four games.

You have to trust the manager's judgment I

Downer
25-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Problems with communication with his defenders during this first half according to commentary. I am beginning to wonder why Etheridge is playing tonight, having been out injured for so long and not having played any competitive matches. Moreover, he has not even had the opportunity to train with his new colleagues since before Xmas.
See my comments on previous post!!!

alexmick
25-02-2014, 08:50 PM
See my comments on previous post!!![/quote]

Yes, I read them and was agreeing with what you said. I was really referring to the lack of communication with the defenders as mentioned in commentary and just adding the reasons why (which mirrored your points).

Red_Army
25-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Can understand the decision to a degree because when you look at all the top young players they don't play every game and are 'rested'. This is always difficult with a goalkeeper though because it is such a key position, constant change is not always good. I thought the amount of games Ben was playing was proving good for him as he is getting better and better each game and making better decisions too.

Where I am a little confused with this decision is because of (a) Ben's recent form has been good and its not like Ben is making mistakes, and (b) Etheridge is not eligible to play the last 4 games I understand, so you are going to then have to throw in either Ben or Steve 'Cold' into crucial games when we may not be safe.

Surely it would be better to blood our own goalkeeper and not someone else's when we have a perfectly good keeper here?

Crewebeedoo
25-02-2014, 09:40 PM
I agree with Mick on this one. If its not broken then don't fix it. If Ben had been playing poorly then fair enough, but i think he has been doing really well and the team is really starting to gel again. The keeper from Fulham has been injured, is he match fit? Surely he should have a couple of res games or at least a few training sessions to make sure he is up to scratch. Very disappointed for Ben and i hope it does not backfire on S D.

Think it has! Does not sound like Etheridge has done well at all. Poor communication with defenders was mentioned a lot on Radio Stoke. Although he was impressive when previously here on loan, can't help wishing Steve had left well alone and kept Garratt in tonight. :(

DGFG
25-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Etheridge feeling his thigh at half time...

and where is Uche?

Hmmm.

somersetcrewe
26-02-2014, 09:09 AM
If its not broken then don't fix it.

And those were my thoughts exactly on hearing the news yesterday. Even more so today, even if the defeat was not down to the keeper. Just breaks what little continuity we had.

On the flip-side, managers are often criticised when they don't address issues when things are going well. To paraphrase a political analogy leveled at the last Labour government: Gordon Brown's persistent failure to save for a rainy day when the economy was doing well.

Ok, a bit heavy but you get the gist! ;)

Trinidads_No1
26-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Seems a strange move to me. Talk about kicking somebody when they are doing well. I could understand etheridge coming in if he had been a pro for decade and played several hundred games and could bring ***** experience to the team. But as far as Im aware Etheridge has played about 12 games for Bristol Rovers and that is it. I would hazard a guess that Ben is the more experienced of the two in terms of league appearances.

If Steve Davis isn't careful all he will succeed in doing is alienating on of his own players and improving another clubs youngster, in my view very counterproductive.

MikeSB
26-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Have to say that was the most strangest decision ever that is bound to upset Ben and the attitude of the other players who have gotten used to Ben in goal and after such a great win last Saturday?

There really was no need to change it last night and who knows if it really niggled the others to see it?

Steve, you just don't change a side that has just won a game so comfortably and especially against our local rivals to boot. ie unless forced by injury etc.

Don't you realize all that hard work getting the players to gel again, could evaporate by that decision?

alexmick
26-02-2014, 08:47 PM
News from the OS is that Steve Davis will be offering Ben Garratt a new contract after his impressive performances in his first full season for the club. He should still be in the team in my opinion. He is our new number one. Cannot understand why Etheridge has ousted Garratt from this position.

MikeSB
26-02-2014, 09:22 PM
I wonder if there is a financial penalty or something if he is not played? But I can't criticise SD enough for such a crap decision as to leave Ben out after our win last Saturday. There is no excuse imo and shows very poor man management to do this. The other players could not have been best pleased and will be interested to see if this affects the overall morale of the team again?

Davis has a lot to learn about how NOT to demotivate players when its not necessary. Not just that, he has spent months telling us all that he was looking to bring in another keeper.

I hope it doesn't backfire. I wonder what he said to Ben last Monday when he told him he was being dropped?

I'm quite angry about this actually..;(