PDA

View Full Version : Chesterfield

tomahawk
26-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Can we beat Chesterfield on Monday.Live on Sky.It would be a real treat Chesterfield are on top for a reason.Can the players turn it on and prove RB wrong .i.e They are better than he thinks?

chiblu
26-02-2014, 07:09 PM
In a word - No. We only beat Accrington cos they were really poor.

kendaldaz
26-02-2014, 08:52 PM
have faith my friends,it could be the first back to back wins this season,its a funny old game,wonder what odds you'd get on that >;)

bluekriss66
27-02-2014, 09:58 AM
I doubt it but anythings possible in the crazy world of L2..

lovedeanblue
27-02-2014, 10:06 AM
It is a crazy league. Torquay won at Wimbledon and painfully here. Haven't won since. Plymouth are very erratic but stuffed Fleetwood on their pitch Tuesday evening. Southend have slipped out of the play off places, they are having a bad run. However I have no sympathy for Brownie after his comments earlier this season and I know Corky will echo that :O

Corkhead
27-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Agreed...

Agreed...

Agreed...

I echo that.

Never liked Tangoman. Apt to kick a chap when he's down and he ceratinly did that with his pre-match comments.

Lancer
27-02-2014, 02:41 PM
HOPEFULLY, (I write this with a smile,) Because the game is being televised we just might, just might get a referee that is worthy of refereeing a professional game.

I fully understand that football is a contact sport but what I witnessed on Tuesday evening was a little more that fair barging.

It will be interesting to see if the pulling of shirts, elbows in the neck, pushing in the back, climbing on the shoulders, arms around the body etc take place and if the referee has the gumption to blow up.

Every time the referee fails to stop it he is allowing it to get worse.

midhurstblue
27-02-2014, 03:09 PM
:) Its possible for us to win, but highly unlikely, I think we just might get a draw though. :)

kendaldaz
27-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Agreed...

Agreed...

Agreed...

I echo that.

Never liked Tangoman. Apt to kick a chap when he's down and he ceratinly did that with his pre-match comments. oh yeah,mr I know everything brown,total and utter prick,embarrassed himself at hull,when he treated grown men like kids,by the way what's he ever done in football :?

reserves67
28-02-2014, 12:33 AM
Chesterfield are shiite, but the problem we have is we are shiiter. We can beat them if all our players actually put in 110% effort, which hasnt been the case in any games this season.

nonsuchmike
01-03-2014, 12:15 PM
I am looking out of the window and can see only clouds scudding past.

No aerial pigs apparent at this stage of the proceedings.

lovedeanblue
01-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Neither Alfei (Wales) or Drennan (Eire) are available it would seem due to u21 call ups. :blue:

kendaldaz
02-03-2014, 09:34 AM
chesterfield manager paul cook on sky other night said a few nice comments about pompey and the fans,very respectful,unlike orange face and that fat twot at rochdale

Jim
02-03-2014, 08:24 PM
You'll find that most managers will play the "too big a club for this division" card as it does them no harm and at least gives them a bit of an excuse should they not win.

Not that Paul Cook will need it as I can only see a defeat and would be very happy with a draw. Just another symbol of how far we've fallen in the last 5 years.

BileysThere
02-03-2014, 08:45 PM
[quote="Jim" card as it does them no harm and at least gives them a bit of an excuse should they not win.

Not that Paul Cook will need it as I can only see a defeat and would be very happy with a draw. Just another symbol of how far we've fallen in the last 5 years.[/quote]

Scummers fall Jim. We're just taking another breather. :D

BlueAdder
03-03-2014, 08:23 AM
This is Lg2 and so far this season I have not seen any outstanding players. We are playing Chesterfield and they sit top of a poor league. This is not Real Madrid or Barcelona so I have no reason to believe we are in for a hammering as many seem to believe. Our squad seems as good as any other Lg2 outfit, it's just a case of getting them to play as a team with maximum effort. Agreed we have not seen that too many times this season but I still think we should be able to beat any of our rivals.
Maybe, just maybe, tonight is the night.
Come On You Blues.

gareth747474
03-03-2014, 08:52 AM
As much as I want us to win...I can't see it. In fact I think it will be easy money from from the bookies for a chesterfield win. Put it this way...if we win or draw I will give up chips and crisps for the rest of the month!

Corkhead
03-03-2014, 09:44 AM
I watch Leamington a fair bit and before anyone asks "who?" they are in the equivalent of Div 6 so not that far below us. They play the most dire hoofball imaginable and the game on Saturday vs Stockport County was a disgrace with both sides putting their foot under the ball and whanging it skywards at every opportunity. I came away thinking I shan't bother again this season. I am getting to that point with Pompey.

My point is that what teams do play football in our league? The reason anyone can beat anyone is that it depends whoever is most up for it on the day will win. The ones who compete consistently are the ones at the top not the ones with more quality. The Premier League is dire enough so don't think we can expect much from Div 4. We are a team of shaggers just like everyone else and it has made for a pitiful season.

PompeyScarf
03-03-2014, 12:30 PM
If we get a draw I'll be over the moon - especially as they put 4 past Cheltenham in 7 minutes last Tuesday.

lovedeanblue
03-03-2014, 09:40 PM
I'd have taken that before the start, there is much of me that is disappointed that we didn't win. We had the chances and Tommy Lee made those 2 crucial saves. That's why he is one of the best keepers in the league. Now we have 2 home games to come starting Saturday in 4 days...

gareth747474
03-03-2014, 10:15 PM
As much as I want us to win...I can't see it. In fact I think it will be easy money from from the bookies for a chesterfield win. Put it this way...if we win or draw I will give up chips and crisps for the rest of the month!

Looks like I will be packing the deep fat fryer away for the month...

BlueAdder
03-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Great result which sort of proves my earlier post. Thought the home team were lucky to get a point and Pompey could easily have won 3-0.
I think that was as good as I have seen us play this season for 90 minutes and Holmes was outstanding.
6 points from next two home games would remove all our worries. Thought the Rochdale manager was a bit OTT when he said we may well be in the play off mix at season end.

lovedeanblue
03-03-2014, 10:37 PM
I took the comment from Keith Hill with a pinch of salt. Just want to win games to get to the magical 52 points RB wants. Both Chesterfield and Rochdale Managers had nice things to say about us, can't deny we didn't deserve those. Be interested to see who RB picks for Saturday, he dropped a hint re tired legs after the game.

bigspoons
03-03-2014, 10:52 PM
Can't believe that was the same team that played Accrington. Wow. I reckon we could still make the play offs if we keep that up. If that sounds a tad optimistic I apologise but that kind of 'blind faith' is what makes my lad and I turn up come rain or shine. Play Up Pompey !!!!

Mangosmate
03-03-2014, 10:57 PM
I like your optimism bigspoons. The trouble is this league is consistently inconsistent. PUP!,

BlueAdder
04-03-2014, 08:26 AM
Tired legs? :? They have four and a half days before the next game ffs.
Good job they are not tennis players who get a couple of days between matches which often last 3 maybe 4 hours of intensive non stop effort.
I can remember playing three games in a weekend when I was a nipper.
OK not at professional level but then I didn't train and get looked after by a professional medical team either. :(

bluekite
04-03-2014, 12:27 PM
I watched the game on Sky last night and thought we gave a very mature perfomance. OK we were set up to frustrate the opposition and made a very good job of it. We also had the best of the chances, if their goalie hadn't been on his game then we would have won. Carson had very little to do and nothing scary.
It was wonderful to be able to sit through the last 15 minutes and not to be given the usual white knuckle ride of backs to the wall stuff.
It does look as if we have begun to put a run together ( if you discount the "S****horpe blip"). Cheltenham have been having a poor run so should be somewhat easier opposition than Chesterfield, but hey who knows... we are Pompey after all. Another couple of good results and top half of the table here we come... a couple of poor results, bottom 3 beckons.. an amazingly close league.

Southerndown
04-03-2014, 12:34 PM
...It was wonderful to be able to sit through the last 15 minutes and not to be given the usual white knuckle ride of backs to the wall stuff...

I was following on the BBC site on my mobile (whilst on netball duty!) and was (more than) half expecting to see a 90+3 minute goal for Chesterfield.

Watched the highlights on Kick Off or whatever it's called (what a sh!te programme that is!), and agree, we looked pretty good last night. Shame Jervis didn't square it when he took a shot and hit the post though.