PDA

View Full Version : O/T Threads You Like/Don't Like

wolves71
26-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Plenty for all on here, caters for all. If you don't like one, move onto ones that you have an interest in. Even create your own. ;D

Woking88
26-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Plenty for all on here, caters for all. If you don't like one, move onto ones that you have an interest in. Even create your own. ;D

Well said Gav. Reminds me of people moaning about not liking what's on TV - there are other channels and an off button on mine! ;)

Robus
26-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Seems so simple, doesn't it?

Woking88
26-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Each to their own, but I would have liked to see the Celebrity RIP threads saved.

wolves71
26-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Going back to just over two months ago and i'm not alone in thinking that was it on footy mad with all the server problems, it's still here, enjoy it while it lasts ;D.

ADP22
26-02-2014, 08:42 PM
Off Topic subjects need to be put in there own forum in my opinion!

potential new visitors, the main reason they will come across Wolves Mad is talk about the football club and not off topic subjects and when they see the often cryptic, stupid tthreads, then it's off putting!

Just an opinion mind!

Evewolf65
26-02-2014, 09:06 PM

potential new visitors, the main reason they will come across Wolves Mad is talk about the football club and not off topic subjects and when they see the often cryptic, stupid tthreads, then it's off putting!

Just an opinion mind!

Yeah surely its better if there was an off topic subject forum on this board a lot of other boards use the system and it seems to work ok and doesn't end up in a load of friction between fans who want to talk football and those who don't and without wading through posts that cover both on and off topic subjects. Make it easy ! one for one, one for non football chat
less annoyance from whatever the side of the fence you're on, and if you like to get involved In the OT subjects you can without any reprisal!;) XD XD

Robus
26-02-2014, 09:10 PM

Just an opinion mind!

This has been an off-again, on-again discussion for a long time. Here's my take: Consider the "Count to Infinity" thread. The people who have been posting there include some of the more reliable contributors on the board. Without their contributions, we would have about as much activity as QPR Mad. Do we want to exile such threads from the main board in hopes of making the site more attractive to prospects, folks who have never posted here but might?

In my opinion the problem, if any, is not O/T threads clearly labeled as such. It is that many regular contributors have drifted away for reasons best known to them. If they have go

Woking88
26-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Astute observations, Robus and I would reckon, spot on.

The other thing is that the whiners and whingers rarely, if ever, start a new thread or come up with innovative ideas. Moaning and complaining is not the way to make progress and never has been. Constructive criticism is much better!

peterknowlesburnside
26-02-2014, 09:26 PM
I have no opinion one way or the other of where an O/T thread should go but I will just make an observation on where the 'Count to Infinity' thread came from. I saw it on a 'Classic Rock' board. That board has so many sub-divisions it's impossible to count them. ie the 'type' of classic rock, the 'era', news, musicians, etc etc. Even the O/T section(where that thread was positioned) is broken down into three divisions. I'm not at all sure that 'FootyMad' has that sort of capability. As '71 has stated, a couple of months ago it looked as if the whole thing was going down just with a change of server.

ADP22
26-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Don't get me wrong, Off Topic threads are good but on entrance to the message board feel we should be presented with the main menu, Wolves, Off Topic, that choice presented to us for us to choose or bookmark!

Maybe then, there would be no need to put up a thread to belittle others for starting it, as it would be in its rightful place and no need for complaint!

Evewolf65
26-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Don't get me wrong, Off Topic threads are good but on entrance to the message board feel we should be presented with the main menu, Wolves, Off Topic, that choice presented to us for us to choose or bookmark!

Maybe then, there would be no need to put up a thread to belittle others for starting it, as it would be in its rightful place and no need for complaint!

Like beating an empty barrel with a stick round here mate, it makes a lot of noise but nobody takes any notice!
There are some Wolves fans left if you look hard enough!;D

jiltedjohn
26-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Many boards are in decline, they are just not as popular as they once were.

wolves71
27-02-2014, 06:28 PM

I'm glad i'm not restricted to just using one forum. Away from footy mad i actively post on three other forums, helps broaden the horizon and also helps get views from opposing fans.

jiltedjohn
27-02-2014, 09:30 PM
We all moan about the service footymad provides, but it's free, I'm not sure they can make much money from sponsors these days because of things like *******er.

wolves71
27-02-2014, 09:43 PM
We all moan about the service footymad provides, but it's free, I'm not sure they can make much money from sponsors these days because of things like *******er.

They've got other sites as well, and not everyone knows about *******. There's probably other revenue they get. - view external link (http://www.football.co.uk/)

jiltedjohn
27-02-2014, 10:04 PM

They've got other sites as well, and not everyone knows about *******. There's probably other revenue they get.[/quote]

Digital Sports Group

Footy mad average stats per month

Page impressions
50 million
Unique visitors
7.5 million

:O - view external link (www.digitalsportsgroup.co.uk/)

wolves71
27-02-2014, 10:11 PM

They've got other sites as well, and not everyone knows about *******. There's probably other revenue they get.[/quote]

Digital Sports Group

Footy mad average stats per month

Page impressions
50 million
Unique visitors
7.5 million

:O[/quote]

On one of their sister sites listed in that link, they've also experienced technical problems. Maybe football mad and the other two sites are on the same server ;D

TundraWolf
28-02-2014, 03:36 AM

I'm glad i'm not restricted to just using one forum. Away from footy mad i actively post on three other forums, helps broaden the horizon and also helps get views from opposing fans.[/quote]

Agree, I post on two other footy mad sites relatively regularly and very much enjoy the banter, there is more than enough controversy, information, analysis and humour to satisfy everyone if you just look around.

wolves71
28-02-2014, 02:58 PM

I'm glad i'm not restricted to just using one forum. Away from footy mad i actively post on three other forums, helps broaden the horizon and also helps get views from opposing fans.[/quote]

Agree, I post on two other footy mad sites relatively regularly and very much enjoy the banter, there is more than enough controversy, information, analysis and humour to satisfy everyone if you just look around.[/quote]

Exactly, i don't even need to log into the Scotland or WBA Mad forums, i can view and enjoy from the sidelines. The three forums i use away from footy mad are all football based anyway.

Woking88
28-02-2014, 03:43 PM
I used to post on Teamtalk, but it was never the same once Oscar ceased to be an example to all moderators and left the site. People complain these days of posts not being put on and it can go for a long time without updating.

TundraWolf
28-02-2014, 05:41 PM
As I post this message (considering that the "Guess the flix" thread is O/T, the top five threads are all O/t and 6 of the top 7) it would appear to be obvious that the O/T threads are highly popular. The Baggies Board is much more active than ours and have a significant number of O/T threads (though they don't always identify them as such). If the unhappy posters here wish to have two separate lists of threads, football and non-football related, I will not be too concerned; though judging by the problems at present with missing threads, delayed post counts, posters photos gone in some cases, etc don't be surprised if a separate list of threads on the same site may be beyond the present administration's capabilities!

jiltedjohn
28-02-2014, 06:10 PM
IMO, to split a board into two forums you need a busy board or the board appears very quiet and when a board looks quiet people tend to look in less often.
Just going by what I've seen on other boards.

Robus
28-02-2014, 06:30 PM
[quote="TundraWolf" thread is O/T, the top five threads are all O/t and 6 of the top 7) it would appear to be obvious that the O/T threads are highly popular. The Baggies Board is much more active than ours and have a significant number of O/T threads (though they don't always identify them as such). If the unhappy posters here wish to have two separate lists of threads, football and non-football related, I will not be too concerned; though judging by the problems at present with missing threads, delayed post counts, posters photos gone in some cases, etc don't be surprised if a separate list of threads on the same site may be beyond the present administration's capabilities![/quote]

Personally, I think it would be a mistake. The livelier sites always have a mix of football and O/T threads. True of Burnley, West Ham, Wolves in its heyday. There is a natural rhythm. It is driven by events on a

Woking88
28-02-2014, 06:36 PM
There are times when it is very difficult to get a Wolves thread off the ground. Much better after a win!