PDA

View Full Version : Scunnered-Sickened-Totally depressed

ouialpha
27-02-2014, 12:42 AM
Just had to get this off my chest - Wayne Rooney,300k a week!!!! Suarez, 250k a week!!!!
The world has gone mad when we pay that kind of money to individuals who are hardly shining lights of what's good in humanity... but they can kick a ball????? FFS what are we, as a society, all about?
Now I know people will say it's all about supply and demand but does that make it right? In my book if something is not right then it's wrong.

Now I know it's only a token gesture, it would take the masses to effect any real change, but I have cancelled my Sky Sports subscription in protest.
Under tv's watch of the game only the rich( the big leagues, the big euro clubs) get richer and the rest of us just struggle by. They have ruined the 'sport' for the rest of us.
Rant over O:)

meister1991
27-02-2014, 07:48 AM
It's totally ridiculous and not sustainable long term.

Let's hope the bubble bursts

Sup3rw3ll
27-02-2014, 11:21 AM
this is true, and it's in part funded by the likes of sky who over value the market and wealthy individuals playing champ manager for real.

i do think that some sort of ban on private money altogether should be brought in, as unlike a truly private business that is run to create profit, and will only work within income received. certain sports teams can be seen as an interest that is supported by rich businessmen as their hobby. this perverts the market and is not how other markets operate.

there are some other points to consider such as;

other well paid professions such as actors, musicians etc.. earn millions similar to top footballers.

they are operating at the very top of their profession and are considered the very best in the world at what they do. i.e. there are only a handful of people who could do what they do.

it's very easy to dumb down what they do, and in a similar vein you could say that actors just speak in front of a camera, and musicians just sing.

dazlhigh
27-02-2014, 12:48 PM
Hard to disagree with most of the posters. I do, though, wish that some of the media people would work as hard at telling us what some of their colleagues are getting in the entertainment / media industries. According to some stuff I've read, there was some sloppy reporting about Rooney's salary; for example, they quoted the amount Rooney would get as a top line depending on how well Man U performed, then compared it with other European footballers' bottom lines.
I suspect - I'm from Motherwell after all! - that social class issues are still lurking. Football is as democratic and meritocratic a sport as you'll find; if anybody thinks their wean is good enough, get them along to Old Trafford. If the confidence is justified they'll get the gig and the big money. If the talent isn't there, it doesn't matter which school you went to, or who daddy can phone, or who you can network with, you've had it.
Please note that I'm not, at all, mounting a defence of Rooney's pay; it's all, as anothe

skippy91
27-02-2014, 11:40 PM
In short fitbaw is fecked long term cos of the levels of greed induced by the sky money. It will all end in tears just a matter of time.

sieb1886
01-03-2014, 10:29 AM
I agree that salaries of the top 10% of players is idealistically immoral, but if it were paid to me, I wouldn't complain !
On the points of 'unsustainability' - I tend to disagree on that. Reasons being, folk have said that since the EPL formed a couple of decades back. The recent flexing of muscle by BT Sport (£900M to cover Champ's League!), there's now 2 massive global businesses driving the football market. Add to that the now rapidly growing 'soccer' movement in the USA and sharp interest of networks like NBC, etc, and I see the trend continuing.
That said, if I'm wrong in my assessment, it'll be one helluva implosion should the bubble actually burst.