PDA

View Full Version : Todays match thread.

WOODLANDSWOLF
01-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Well i'm ready. I am wearing my lucky [a la Brentford] Wolves shirt and ball cap so in theory nothing can go wrong.

Match day weather, dry and cool, 45F.

Team news anyone?

WOODLANDSWOLF
01-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Well i'm ready. I am wearing my lucky [a la Brentford] Wolves shirt and ball cap so in theory nothing can go wrong.

Match day weather, dry and cool, 45F.

Team news anyone?

Ikeme; Ricketts Batth Stearman Golbourne; Price McDonald; Henry Jacobs Sako; Dicko.

Unchanged third game in a row. Gotta be good1

Come on mi Babbies!!!!!!

Woking88
01-03-2014, 02:58 PM
WOLVES: Ikeme, Ricketts, Batth, Stearman, Golbourne, Price, McDonald, Henry, Jacobs, Sako, Dicko. SUBS: McCarey, Elokobi, Ebanks-Landell, Evans, Edwards, McAlinden, Doherty.

PORT VALE: Neal, Jones, Robertson, Dickinson, Loft, Dodds, Pope, Lines, Grimmer, Duffy, Knott. SUBS: Johnson, Yates, Williams, Tomlin, Davis, Williamson, Birchall.

PremierWolf
01-03-2014, 03:02 PM
C'mon boys give us another good performance and win.

PremierWolf
01-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Sounds like a quiet start, Jacobs with two long range efforts. Port Vale edgeing the possession.

WOODLANDSWOLF
01-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Seems like plenty of attacking play from us. Just need that first goal!

TundraWolf
01-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Usual form of keeping the opposition's chances to a minimum while building up the pressure at their end!

PremierWolf
01-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Orient go one up.

PremierWolf
01-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Possession swinging around to our favour now.

TundraWolf
01-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Possession swinging around to our favour now.

Yes, possession 61%-39% in favour of Wolves.:D

TundraWolf
01-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Though no score as yet, Carlisle out-shooting Brentford 4-1.

PremierWolf
01-03-2014, 03:42 PM
So close to the breakthrough as Ricketts hits the bar with a header

WOODLANDSWOLF
01-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Well it sounded like a lively first half, both Sako and Ricketts[?] getting plenty of mention in attacking moves.

Early goal in the second half and we will be away.

TundraWolf
01-03-2014, 04:10 PM
No changes in the half for either team. Guess each coach has no problem with the run of events so far.

Woking88
01-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Sako scores!!!!!!!

WOODLANDSWOLF
01-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Just what we needed! Sako 1-0, come Wolves, pile the goals in now.

PremierWolf
01-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Sako1-0 get in there

TundraWolf
01-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Good stuff from Sako, breathing a bit easier now. Still no score in Carlisle - Brentford.

Robus
01-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Morning mates. Looks like things are well in hand. Another two goals and it should be in the bag. ;)

WOODLANDSWOLF
01-03-2014, 04:22 PM

Big defection apparently, but we aint proud, we'll take it!

WOODLANDSWOLF
01-03-2014, 04:28 PM
looks like we are all over them at the moment, just need that second goal.

PremierWolf
01-03-2014, 04:30 PM
looks like we are all over them at the moment, just need that second goal.

Just feel we will need that second one

TundraWolf
01-03-2014, 04:30 PM

Big defection apparently, but we aint proud, we'll take it![/quote]

Is that "defection" or "deflection," Woody?

WOODLANDSWOLF
01-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Knobbo, Knobbo!!!

PremierWolf
01-03-2014, 04:35 PM
2-0 and to the top of the table :D

PremierWolf
01-03-2014, 04:37 PM
3-0 Dicko on a hat trick

WOODLANDSWOLF
01-03-2014, 04:39 PM
3-0 Dicko on a hat trick

That's it, no more goals or it spoils my game day prediction.;D

TundraWolf
01-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Good thing too, I was down to the nubs what with biting my finger-tips and all. Every week some player seems to rise to the occasion for Wolves, why not Dicko as well!?

PremierWolf
01-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Colchester have leveled at Orient as well

Woking88
01-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Orient 2-1.

WOODLANDSWOLF
01-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Good thing too, I was down to the nubs what with biting my finger-tips and all. Every week some player seems to rise to the occasion for Wolves, why not Dicko as well!?

Tundra, "defection". No wonder the keeper didn't catch it!;D

PremierWolf
01-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Orient 2-1 up again

PremierWolf
01-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Dicko misses penalty for hat trick

TundraWolf
01-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Wolves 2 up on Leyton Orient on goal differential.

Carlisle 0-0 Brentford final score.

Should we send the Brentford board a picture of a net as they can't seem to find it!;D

WOODLANDSWOLF
01-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Another clean sheet, getting to be a habit!!:D :-D

Woking88
01-03-2014, 04:57 PM
A great result. 516 minutes since we last conceded. Another 3 goals in the bag and top on goal difference with two games in hand! :D

WOODLANDSWOLF
01-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Another clean sheet, getting to be a habit!!:D :-D

Quote from the E&S. We are certainly on a roll now, long may it continue.

"Seven wins in a row for #Wolves for the first time since 1988. Five clean sheets in a row for the first time since Dec 2007."

Robus
01-03-2014, 05:10 PM
That's the way to do it. I see Brentford have tied. A good day.

Mr.D
01-03-2014, 05:23 PM
No point in going on the Brentford board as Watford board gets more visits.

Vale fans aren't the friendliest of fans having thrown a smoke bomb at the south bank.

WOODLANDSWOLF
01-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Bring on those eyewitness match reports. :D :-D

Woking88
01-03-2014, 05:28 PM
15 March is Orient v Brentford and 25 March is Rotherham v Brentford. By the time we get to play at Orient on 21 April, I hope we will have it all sewn up!

Woking88
01-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Bring on those eyewitness match reports. :D :-D

Agreed Woody!

abbobrom
01-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Just back home and the pain killers are starting to kick in. Heavy police presence causing a long walk back to my sons car.

Well, another game gone and three more goals plus three more points, you can't say better than that. The almost 22.000 crowd, strengthened by about 3000 supporters from the Potteries created a great atmosphere.

From the start you could see that Port Vale were up for it. Their manager had done his homework and played more in midfield to try and offset our control of the game. Their forward players tried hard in the first half to prevent us playing the ball out from defence. Initially they succeeded but we eventually took control of the game forcing the opposition to chase shadows. Apart from our captains header hitting the bar they had the best chance of the first half, when a slack pass from Jack Price, let them in on our goal. Fortunately their player blazed over the bar.

We did create some great chances in that half, so in a way, the 0-0 score line di

wolves71
01-03-2014, 08:07 PM
I think Port Vale and in particular Tom Pope will rue that miss in the first half, a goalscoring opportunity that he fired over.Jack Price guilty of giving the ball away. Bar the Ricketts header against the bar, Wolves were restricted to a couple of chances that fell to Jacobs, one from just inside the area and another from distance.Danny Batth also had a chance, overhead kick that went narrowly wide.

The longer the game went on, i thought the away side were going to continue to frustrate us. When the breakthrough did come, it was Sako's shot, deflected over their keeper, the bit of luck Wolves needed really. At 1-0, i think Wolves began to enjoy more freedom to getting forward, keeping with their passing game and creating chances.

Before his brace, i thought Dicko did well to keep his cool, often treated and stopped with whatever means possible by his marker. His first goal, got on the end of Ricketts ball in to score from close range. Impressed with his second goal, shook off two

ADP22
01-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Good reports Abbo & 71, both I wholely agree with!

Mention for Jacobs, again! He didn't get his goal but he caused vale so much trouble his performance alone was worth a point and would be my Wolves man of the match!

Vale fans were a nightmare! Stewards showed good composure when fists were flying! Them lot down the south bank end were only there for trouble and maybe the coppers should have done a bit more and as for the trouble in the City after, I expected it and so should of the authorities!

Not a good showing for Port Vale fc, but a fantastic wanderers 3 pts!

The Wolves go marching on!

#10ktoMK

Mr.D
01-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the reports lads, I thought in the 2nd half as been mentioned we looked like men against babies with them chasing shadows.

This is the 1st game that Snetter as feared for her safety! Us being sat/stood in S1 at halftime I said "I'm off for a pee" and she wouldn't stay there on her own.

The only trouble I saw today was inside the ground, at halftime the stewards and police went steaming into the concourse of the Steve Bull lower to stop Vale fans accessing areas containing Wolves fans. The smokebomb landed short and hit the advertising hoarding just in front of us.

chimplad
01-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Great match, great result, great day out!
Made all the racing around pre match worthwhile as the lads were oozing confidence and composure...they were sharp and alert and looked like they could beat anything put in front of them.
Nice to see Snetter, Mr.D, icart and the plater...also good to bump into abbo in the car park after the match, hope you're feeling a littyle better after that walk mate!

Footnote, the Port Vale fans were a right nightmare! There were hundreds there intent on causing trouble regardless of the result.
One got 100yards off the coach and punched a copper!
Great day...and the wolves go marching ON ON ON!!!

TundraWolf
01-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Is there a follow-up to the behaviour of certain Port Vale supporters? Fines, arrests, banishment from traveling on club coaches for the remainder of the season?

MichiganWolf
01-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Never seemed like PV threatened much from what I could tell on the radio. Don't want to say it was an easy match, but their best chance came off of our gaffe. Other than that, nothing too dangerous.

Two tough matches coming up with Walsall and Swindon wanting to gain some ground on Posh for the last playoff spot. Glad we have this tough stretch after the Brentford win to make sure we stay focused. Job is not done yet!!

Mr.D
01-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Is there a follow-up to the behaviour of certain Port Vale supporters? Fines, arrests, banishment from traveling on club coaches for the remainder of the season?These have being the worse fans to come to Wolves in the last few seasons by a country mile

Has Chimp said it was great to meet up with him, Platter and icart today.

Here's a link to a Vale board.. - view external link (http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/forum/sh...-Embarrassment)

TundraWolf
02-03-2014, 12:05 AM
Thanks, Mr.D, most of the Port Vale posters expressed disgust and embarrassment at the behaviour of some of their fellow 'supporters." here is an excerpt below from a PV poster about today's performance:

"Not the players, the so called fans. The amount of "fans" who blatantly only turned up for a right was a disgrace. I sat in the bottom right on the stand and witnessed countless abuse, people throwing coins, Breaking chairs and even worse spitting. It was an utter discrace and I'm completely embarrassed to be a vale fan. Come out the ground and those fans again are looking to start fights, and clash with police. Utter rubbish scummy fans, not going away games again utill we sort these cretins out.

People may say it happens at every club but at vale much more and much worse.

Players gave their all but were outclassed."

wolves71
02-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Is there a follow-up to the behaviour of certain Port Vale supporters? Fines, arrests, banishment from traveling on club coaches for the remainder of the season?

Everything at football is filmed, CCTV, and those identified usually end up with banning orders and fines. All in the of so called "following your team".

TundraWolf
02-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Glad to hear that, '71. I remember though a goalie being attacked on the pitch one or two years ago by a "fan" who upon his arrest it was discovered that he was already under a ban order but managed to slip in anyways. Hopefully the clubs have tightened up some of the "loopholes" that would allow a re-occurrence.

wolves71
02-03-2014, 01:44 PM
[quote="TundraWolf" that would allow a re-occurrence.[/quote]

I take you're on about the incident at Hillsborough. Leeds fan ran onto the pitch and went for Chris Kirkland.

TundraWolf
02-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Yep, that's the one.

wolves71
02-03-2014, 02:44 PM
He soon got done for it though Tundra, within hours and was identified due to his postings and profile on facebook.

JonDeWolf
02-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Hopefully the police will also be able to identify the person who head-butted the Hull player yesterday

Comfortable win yesterday. I was a bit nervous at half time but we got the break early in the second and fairly plain sailing from there. Really not sure what the away fans were upset about- seemed to spend most of the match singing 'Fail' and that's just what they did.

Nice to see us top and I just hope we can stay there now BUT it's not going to be easy- 14 games left and only 5 of those at home. This'll be where the importance of our away support shows

abbobrom
02-03-2014, 05:37 PM
My daughters partner, a Stoke supporter, reckons that a lot of the cretins that follow Port Vale are people that are banned followers of Stoke City.

It appears that many of the fans yesterday from the Potteries were appalled at the behaviour of the small minority.

Our club do not help the situation by having the away supporters in the lower tier of the Steve Bull. This situation needs to be rectified if further problems are to be avoided. Reading reports on a Port Vale website, they are accusing our fans of throwing drinks from the top tier, spitting and coin throwing.

They are not the first club to accuse us of those offences.

JonDeWolf
02-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Having watched some of the nonsense it was fairly obvious that they were making accusations of stuff being thrown down from the upper tier. The stewards in the upper tier seemed happy enough though and while I didn't see anything thrown down, I did witness stuff going the other way.

It is a problem that as Abbo says has been going on for years and it should be addressed. I really can't see them being allowed back in the South Bank- probably the sensible approach would be in the upper tier of the North Bank (which was used last season for away fans)

wolves71
02-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Until the Steve Bull stand is done, the problems will still be there. I'm suprised, as with at Forest, some sort of netting/cover isn't in place to stop stuff dropping on those below. I class it as a cowards act anyway to throw stuff at others.

Snetterwolf
02-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Sorry its late but had to post my opinion on the Vale match. As Mr. D said in a previous post of all the matches I have been to I have never felt so intimidated. A fellow fan to my left said this is our town and they're just tekin the p*ss trying to take us over. How dare they even contemplate it. They tried every angle to infiltrate the wolves southbank but to no avail. They actually caused more laughs than frights by their sad attempt to undermine us. I don't think the majority of lower steve bull were actually football fans, just out for a day of violence. The smoke bomb was another example of this and parents of children in the southbank made their views known. So glad we won and we deserved it. There's always banter at the matches but sorry my estimation of Vale fans is now at rock bottom...leeds had the banter but Vale had the scum.

wolves71
03-03-2014, 04:38 PM
All the goals and brief highlights from Saturday's game in link below. - view external link (http://tinyurl.com/o62obpw)