PDA

View Full Version : have you ever...

redgreggie
01-03-2014, 04:43 PM
have you ever tasted fresh, home made bread?

if not why not.

as I say I suffer from emphysema, I get out of breath just ...breathing!

I was spoiled from my time in the Merchant Navy as on many of the ships I was on we made fresh bread every day, and believe it or not it's not complicated, it's a doddle.

the hardest thing for me is the energy that it takes, but honestly all the work is worth it when you taste the bread that you've made.

for many a year I did make my bread, but it's been a few years since I last did any.

the other week I was making a sandwich using an uncut loaf that I got from Waitrose, I happened to look at the ingredients on the packaging...there must have been around 12/13 things listed!!!!!!!!!!!

what the phuck!!!!!!!!!

here's what you need...and a recipe that if you follow you will never buy bread again...and the sooner the mass producers realise that we won't buy their sh1t again, the better...perhaps they'll start to make 'real' bread!

the only equipmen

aussieowl
05-03-2014, 05:33 AM
[quote="redgreggie"]have you ever tasted fresh, home made bread?

if not why not.

as I say I suffer from emphysema, I get out of breath just ...breathing!

I was spoiled from my time in the Merchant Navy as on many of the ships I was on we made fresh bread every day, and believe it or not it's not complicated, it's a doddle.

the hardest thing for me is the energy that it takes, but honestly all the work is worth it when you taste the bread that you've made.

for many a year I did make my bread, but it's been a few years since I last did any.

the other week I was making a sandwich using an uncut loaf that I got from Waitrose, I happened to look at the ingredients on the packaging...there must have been around 12/13 things listed!!!!!!!!!!!

what the phuck!!!!!!!!!

here's what you need...and a recipe that if you follow you will never buy bread again...and the sooner the mass producers realise that we won't buy their sh1t again, the better...perhaps they'll

redgreggie
05-03-2014, 10:39 AM
I really hope you do aussie.

bread making seems to be a real mystery to people, seem to think it takes an absolute age...it's all a myth.

I have a friend she comes and keeps on top of housework for me, she has a 6year old daughter, Marie...the mum...is hopeless in the kitchen, it's all from the tin or packet, no idea at cooking.

well, while Marie was doing some work upstairs I explained to Emma all about making bread, I was going to do a loaf.

I showed her each stage, from just the dry ingredients in the bowl, then explained just what the yeast/warm water did, how it would work.

after I'd mixed the liquid with the dry stuff I put it in a warm place.

I showed her it later, she was amazed just how much it had grown.

she was here when the bread had been baked and was gobsmacked how much change there was from the few dry ingredients and the liquids to a gorgeous looking loaf of bread.

the next time she's round, in a couple of weeks, I shall do it all again, this time I shall invol

redgreggie
06-03-2014, 01:36 PM
oops, forgot to say about the lard...

after you've mixed your flour and salt together, add the lard, you don't need much, about 1oz perhaps, it's just to help the bread stay nice and fresh...I think...all you do with it is rub it in to the flour/salt mix with your fingertips...then carry on as described in the method I wrote.

ray...in Batley.