PDA

View Full Version : Waters, Waters everywhere!

RedandWhiteSpartan
02-03-2014, 01:27 PM
How good was young Billy yesterday? His attacking play was excellent, some really clever passes, he was all over the pitch...and he didn't neglect his defensive duties, even won a few tackles. I find myself wondering why he hasn't been played more? Now there is no doubt he can handle himself at this level surely he deserves a start?

RenegadeDS
03-03-2014, 12:19 PM
I strongly believe that if we weren't in the precarious position we were in, he would have seen a lot more time on the pitch.

alexmick
03-03-2014, 04:26 PM
I strongly believe that if we weren't in the precarious position we were in, he would have seen a lot more time on the pitch.

Perhaps we would not be in such a precarious position had young Waters have been blooded into the team at an earlier date, especially considering the performance from him on Saturday. This lad looked every inch (and he isn't that big, but makes up for that with sheer exuberance) of a League One performer and I hope that he makes a full appearance next time out.

lukcour
03-03-2014, 04:47 PM
Billy Waters was the game changer on Saturday. At last he was given decent time on the pitch to show what he can do. Excellent display and his keen attitude had an infectious effect on the supporters. They loved him.

And yes I agree he is exactly what we need in the team in the very worrying period. Someone who can hold the ball, run with it, and play quick passes. The type of player who upsets defences.

We are paying far too much respect with a lot of teams. At times we are so negative. On Saturday until Billy came on we were only there to make up the numbers.

If we want to get the points necessary to avoid relegation we have to impose ourselves on other teams, no matter how big a club they are. Well done Billy.

ALEXKNOWALL
05-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Apparently he is "not ready for a start physically". I only wish Byron and Ajay were!!!!!

alexmick
05-03-2014, 04:50 PM
[quote="ALEXKNOWALL". I only wish Byron and Ajay were!!!!![/quote]

He pretty "charged up" to me when he was introduced. He put in more effort, displayed more enthusiasm and had more possession with the ball than the majority of others in that team on Saturday. There was only Tootle, Guthrie and Garratt (plus Oliver with his golden goal) who played above average against Swindon. The rest were decidedly below par based on recent performances. The lad would start in a team of mine.

sacrewebleu
05-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Whilst I have seen Waters have the sort of "hit and miss" games SD refers to when playing for the 18 and 21, particularly when central were he can get caught on the ball, I would never have questioned the lads stamina. Hes got plenty of energy and playing out wide if someone nicks it from him, we gain a throw in or corner, so its a bonus. SDs comments in interview are very unfair on the lad, especially after his energetic contribution. I interpreted it on the lines of "I believe in him, but fellow coaches dont". How is that helpful when so young to say publicly.

As for the swindon result, I think there was an awful lot of good play unoticed without the ball to keep us in the game, ie chasing down and harrying. As someone who left swindon at 5 nil with 15 mins to go in august wanting to escape, swindon, football and life (yes we were that bad that day), I see a draw as a positive and we build from there.
Stevenage, we were very good and dominated midfield, just careless and lazy finish

alexmick
11-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Pleased to see Waters given a starting place in the game at Posh, although he only lasted the first 45 minutes. Obviously, Steve Davis was talking sense prior to this match, when he gave his reasons why Waters was not ready to begin games. He said that in training he drifted in and out of matches and that he was perhaps best used as a substitute initially, as an impact player. He certainly made an impact against Swindon, but by the sounds of things, Waters was pretty anonymous on Saturday. Back to the bench for him tonight, then!