PDA

View Full Version : Paul Burns testimonial

MCMXIX
03-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Is there any more information regarding who is & who's isn't playing in the Paul Burns testimonial match on April 6th

I'd love to see the likes of Dobbie ( Blackpool ) , Harris ( Sheffield Utd ) & McDonald ( Hearts ) playing at Palmerston again for Queens but there's a good chance they'll all be involved in crucial games for their respective clubs

Will there be any special appearances on the day from former players apart from the 2008 Scottish Cup squad ??

Really hope Burnsy gets a good turnout after all his years services for Queen of the South

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ee8l8m.jpg

Palmyman
03-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Yes hopefully there will be a decent turnout but with only around 1,500 home fans turning out for the league games this season it be may a struggle to get anywhere near that figure for the wee man's testimonial. The main stand holds 1,200 so why not just open that for this game.

MCMXIX
04-03-2014, 10:55 AM
I think if you get approx 1,000 fans then he'll be doing well . That's still a decent wee pay day for Paul .

A few special guests may boost the crowd :star:

Palmyman
04-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Had forgotten he was sub goalie in the SC Final until I saw Stephen Grindlay warming up at the Dumbarton game at Palmerston last Saturday.

MCMXIX
26-03-2014, 01:48 PM
How did the testimonial dinner for Paul Burns go on Saturday night ? Sadly had to miss out due to family commitments :/

Was hoping there'd be a report & photos on the official site but haven't seen anything yet

Sad to read that Steve Tosh can't be at the testimonial game as he's abroad but it's hoped most of the other will be there

QOS_MAD_ADMIN
26-03-2014, 02:04 PM
How did the testimonial dinner for Paul Burns go on Saturday night ? Sadly had to miss out due to family commitments :/

Was hoping there'd be a report & photos on the official site but haven't seen anything yet

Sad to read that Steve Tosh can't be at the testimonial game as he's abroad but it's hoped most of the other will be there

If someone were to send us a report and pictures of the event we will be happy to publish such on this site.

Living in the wilds of Galloway we are unable to attend such events.

Palmyman
29-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Maybe D and G Life magazine was in attendance and took photos as Davie Rae's nephew photographer Gordon has done for this publication in the past. No doubt though QOS
photographer Colin Johnstone and his son will be at Paul's testimonial game next Sunday.

MCMXIX
01-04-2014, 06:50 AM
Any more word on who's actually playing in this game on Sunday ?

Just a thought that if people knew who's coming then it might just increase crowd figures

corybungo
01-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Steve Tosh won't be coming - he's working abroad.

As far as I know, all other 2008 players will be there.

Palmyman
01-04-2014, 08:03 AM
This game certainly could do with all the publicity it can get to entice fans along on Sunday. With Queens only getting 1,400 to a league game it would be sad if the wee man's
testimonial only attracts half of that. With that in mind would it not be an idea to just
use the main stand (1,200) as a few fans scattered around the rest of Palmerston would not look good.

JRSLEFTPEG
01-04-2014, 08:30 AM
I would hope that most Queens fans that can make the game do so . No one deserves it more than the pocket dynamo Paul Burns . He has approached every game played for Queens with full blown commitment . Burnsy is not someone who will have got wealthy through football and has earned a little pay day . Lets show appreciation for the little guy from Cumnock who has gave us so much.

palmylad
01-04-2014, 09:08 AM
http://i61.tinypic.com/167mm46.jpg

aloreburn
01-04-2014, 09:52 AM
Without being too critical of the organising committee , it would be nice to know who is appearing for the Scottish Cup 2008 team .

It may help sell the game to certain fans ;)

doonumberland
01-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Without being too critical of the organising committee , it would be nice to know who is appearing for the Scottish Cup 2008 team .

A reminder to all that this Sunday sees the Paul Burns Testimonial Match take place at Palmerston with a 2pm kick off. The current Queens squad will be taking on the 2008 Cup Final Squad so it`s a chance to see some players in action again in a Queens shirt that we may never have expected to see in one again.

Unfortunately Stevie Tosh is unable to attend as he is working in Saudi Arabia and Stephen Grindlay who was the reserve goalkeeper in the Cup Final is also unable to attend but confirmed attendees are as follows:

Jamie MacDonald - The current Hearts No 1 played the last match of an 18 month loan spell with Queens in that Cup Final and picked up a lot of invaluable experience during his time here.

Ryan McCann - Still plying his trade at League 2 le

aloreburn
01-04-2014, 08:26 PM

A reminder to all that this Sunday sees the Paul Burns Testimonial Match take place at Palmerston with a 2pm kick off. The current Queens squad will be taking on the 2008 Cup Final Squad so it`s a chance to see some players in action again in a Queens shirt that we may never have expected to see in one again.

Unfortunately Stevie Tosh is unable to attend as he is working in Saudi Arabia and Stephen Grindlay who was the reserve goalkeeper in the Cup Final is also unable to attend but confirmed attendees are as follows:

Jamie MacDonald - The current Hearts No 1 played the last match of an 18 month loan spell with Queens in that Cup Final and picked up a lot of invaluable experience during his time here.

doonumberland
02-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Also game before testimonial with Queens U19's playing Airdrieonians at Palmerston with a 11am ko.

MCMXIX
02-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Paul Burns goals on YouTube , enjoy :) - view external link (http://youtu.be/G33VPTdz-n8)

Palmyman
02-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Wish I had read the notice about the availability of tickets for wee Burnsy's game before I trailed over to Palmy only to be told by big Jim Thomson that because of strict testimonial rules Queens actually cannot sell them and they must be bought off a member of the testimonial committee so will just have to wait until Sunday when they are on sale at the QOS Arena ticket stall.

QOS_MAD_ADMIN
02-04-2014, 05:00 PM
Wish I had read the notice about the availability of tickets for wee Burnsy's game before I trailed over to Palmy only to be told by big Jim Thomson that because of strict testimonial rules Queens actually cannot sell them and they must be bought off a member of the testimonial committee so will just have to wait until Sunday when they are on sale at the QOS Arena ticket stall.

The organising committee will keep you informed ;D

arrol1919
02-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Just heard that the Gary Anderson darts exhibition scheduled for Sunday in Dumfries has been cancelled .

That'll help the crowd a little as there was a few Queens fans either playing him or had already bought tickets to go & watch

palmylad
03-04-2014, 05:14 PM
http://i58.tinypic.com/zmjpc.jpg

Palmyman
03-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Great stuff from Tosher who, like the wee man fae Cumnock, is a great guy.

palmylad
04-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Wee Burnsey hasn't changed or aged much over the years ...

http://i60.tinypic.com/2n16wrs.jpg

arrol1919
04-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Wee Burnsey hasn't changed or aged much over the years ...

http://i60.tinypic.com/2n16wrs.jpg

Guess the season ??

ALBERTZ_11
04-04-2014, 12:54 PM
2005-06

doonumberland
04-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Also game before testimonial with Queens U19's playing Airdrieonians at Palmerston with a 11am ko.

U19 game now posponed

arrol1919
04-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Nice article here from the SPFL newsletter - view external link (http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/paul-burns--more-than-worthy-of-recognition/)

QOS_MAD_ADMIN
05-04-2014, 12:15 PM
http://i60.tinypic.com/2ee8l8m.jpg

Burnsey's finest hour ! - view external link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee-nvVa6wOw)

TOSHSON
05-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Anyone know how many tickets that have been sold. Hope there's a big turn-out for the wee fella ,a true Queens legend !One of my all time favourite's at Palmerston.

palmylad
06-04-2014, 07:51 AM
Anyone know how many tickets that have been sold. Hope there's a big turn-out for the wee fella ,a true Queens legend !One of my all time favourite's at Palmerston.

I'd imagine most people will buy tickets today ...He deserves a decent turnout for all his commitment to the club over the years

Wishing him all the very best

http://i59.tinypic.com/5b4nqw.jpg

Palmyman
06-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Also best wishes to big Allan Ball's son Keith who has his own big match today when he get married at 3 pm to the lovely Alison Bell meaning the avid Doonhamer fans will miss the wee man fae Cumnock's testimonial.

QOS_MAD_ADMIN
06-04-2014, 10:34 AM
I hope there is a decent turnout for the legend frae Cumnock.

It looks like a right drecht afternoon which the wee man excels in - that drizzle and mist drifting in from the Solway certainly clears the head !

Thanks a lot Paul ...

B)

aloreburn
06-04-2014, 11:20 AM
Hope Mr Goo is there and can post some match highlights :D

Good luck Burnsy

BigIain
06-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed today's match.

Had a bit of everything.

Incredible gestures by Dobbie and Harris to travel to Palmerston and make the starting 11 - for obvious reasons they were never going to be allowed to complete.

Well done everyone involved and well done Burnsy - speaks volumes of his popularity that so many ex-players, current players with a weekend off and fans turned up.

qosdreamer
06-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Got to agree with BigIain it was a really enjoyable game.Great to see old favourites in a Queens shirt.John O'neill was class and all the boys still had that competitiveness.Enjoyed Scallys stepovers.
Kidd stood out for the new boys and Scott Hooper did well at right-back.
A decent turn out for Burnsy and good entertainment.

Palmyman
07-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Excellent afternoon's entertainment in front of 800 plus fans and some superb goals. John O'Neill and Jamie McQuilken are still class players and nice to see Jamie MacDonald really
entering into the fun by keeping goal in the kids
half - time penalty shoot - out plus signing autographs for everyone that asked. Lost track of the score but young goalie Ross Hyslop for the 2008 team certainly prevented Queens reaching double figures with some fantastic saves.

John_fi_Skye
07-04-2014, 11:23 AM
I agree with the above comments. It was great to see some familiar old faces, it was good to see new talent coming through, and it was actually a good game until late on, when it became more about entertainment than about football. I thought Big Jim had a great game, and if we get too many injuries or suspensions at centre-back, I hope he's still registered!

Tam_o_Terregles
07-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Enjoyable occasion.
Great to see the 2008 guys again. Some good laughs and occasional football highlights. McKenna's top left corner screamer and his identical last man shoves summed it up for me.

As others have said, I thought Jamie Macdonald's willingness to get involved at HT was a great credit to him. Top man!

Hope Burnsy has done well out of his testimonial year and well done to those involved in organising it.

doonumberland
09-04-2014, 09:40 AM

U19 game now postponed[/quote]

This game has been re-arranged for tonight with a 7.15 ko

QoS02
09-04-2014, 05:08 PM

U19 game now postponed[/quote]

This game has been re-arranged for tonight with a 7.15 ko[/quote]

Why is there no mention of this game on the Queens website? I think there would a few folk that would watch the game if they knew it was on.

reine_de_la_sud_ok
10-04-2014, 12:20 PM
If the game is advertised it has to be stewarded etc etc etc That then costs the club money which they would have to recoup by charging entry. Charging entry would then require staff on turnstyles etc etc etc. Word of mouth is best for everyone.

QoS02
10-04-2014, 01:37 PM
If the game is advertised it has to be stewarded etc etc etc That then costs the club money which they would have to recoup by charging entry. Charging entry would then require staff on turnstyles etc etc etc. Word of mouth is best for everyone.

If the above is right how come some midweek reserve games are advertised yet I've never noticed any stewards at them nor have I paid entry. Also usually most of the 13's, 15's, 17's and 19's home games on a Sunday are advertised yet again no stewards and no entry charge?:?

As for word of mouth being best, how many will miss out if they're not in the loop?

doonumberland
10-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Don't really think there would be a need for stewards as the games would only attract minimal people. Would just be nice for people to know about them & have the choice to go if they fancied it. Turnstiles are not needed either as the side gate is open for people to come in & watch if they like.

arrol1919
10-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Don't really think there would be a need for stewards as the games would only attract minimal people. Would just be nice for people to know about them & have the choice to go if they fancied it. Turnstiles are not needed either as the side gate is open for people to come in & watch if they like.

Exactly , a quick post on the OS or social media sites would of been nice