PDA

View Full Version : Managers on the touchline

castiron
03-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Southgate got me thinking on this.
What would you prefer, a manager who gets involved on the line or the Fergie way, sitting on the bench and getting up to give the players and officials a *******ing when they need it?
It seemed to work for him. I'm sure Sam used this method at Bolton a lot!. I know one thing, I hate the sight of him slouching in his seat with his mouth going like a cement mixer :/ - view external link (http://m.skysports.com/article/football//9194922)

jon15u
04-03-2014, 07:34 AM
I was told that it is better to let the players play and point out their mistakes during the interval. In other words dont play the game for them.

But like Southgate said, the age is the key, mine were under 15 so i spent most of my time on the touchline hollering, to not do so seem to bring the team to a stand still, and it worked for me cause we won the league twice and were runners up twice.

For these lot though, its their living, they practice every day and work on what they are to do each matchday, they dont start from scratch working on ball skills etc, so can concentrate more on tactics etc. For this reason alone i dont think the coach needs direct contact with the players other than at half time. He can use his assistants to convey any instructions, just as easily as doing it himself.

So basically, minimal contact required.