PDA

View Full Version : Max Clayton

out0lunch
06-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Just for information - view external link (http://www.clubcall.com/swansea-city/swans-win-race-for-strike-ace-1716030.html)

Teammoo
06-03-2014, 09:01 PM
If he does sign for the Swans, then good luck to the lad, hope all goes well.

grestyraider7
06-03-2014, 10:36 PM
better than Nick Powell ??!!.

weymouthalex
06-03-2014, 11:57 PM
I think this is definitely a case of not rocking the boat. A good move for Max who has a great future ahead of him.

somersetcrewe
07-03-2014, 07:16 AM
better than Nick Powell ??!!.

Yeah, noticed that bit too.
I think Nick's last year here was like a noose around Max's neck the following season. But you can't blame him, an impossible act to follow.
Like Shaun, a move may do him good.
Wish him well.

Adester
07-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, given how much time and effort, not to mention money has been spent on his development.

Then take into account all the 1st team games he played in and didn't come even close to scoring! So if we had backed a different horse who may have scored?

Still, he's a young lad who's trying to make his way in the football world and you cant blame him for that. I would've thought his old man who advises him would've had a little more respect for the club that took the time to train him.

Adester
07-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, given how much time and effort, not to mention money has been spent on his development.

Then take into account all the 1st team games he played in and didn't come even close to scoring! So if we had backed a different horse who may have scored?

Still, he's a young lad who's trying to make his way in the football world and you cant blame him for that. I would've thought his old man who advises him would've had a little more respect for the club that took the time to train him.

Oh Yeh, almost forgot...Better than Powell! PMSL pull the other one!

AlexLeicester
07-03-2014, 09:10 AM
The ethos of the Alex means that we will always let a player go if it is right for them and us.
In Max's case it's difficult to know. He is undoubtedly talented, but something has held back his successful jump to the first team. Then there is his injury.
In August we will look a very different side, I think. Players whose contracts are ending will be looking around and all the loanees will disappear. Unfortunately we may not even be in this division. Will/would Max find his niche in a new-look squad? Personally I don't think so: not under SD's regime and methodology.

If Max does go then I hope we have a very strong sell-on and appearance clause, plus sufficient cash to cover what we have done for the lad.

MikeSB
07-03-2014, 10:51 AM
I couldn't care less what happens to MC.

He is a disgrace to the ethos of the club.

Lots of youngsters get to play for England youth teams and never seen again. In my own view and the times he played in the team, he didn't cut it and did well to get the games he did.

For anyone to argue that he is better than Powell is laughable.

Players today in the PL or even the Championship earn enough in their first contract to almost keep them for the rest of their life and how many people and occupations can say that?

How much did Tom Finney earn or Stan Matthews who were far batter players than most today?

I have to say, I am sick of these prima donnas and their mercenary actions. The problem for us is that everyone coming through the academy thinks they are better than they are. Most of the ones that did make it were happy to sign extensions to contracts as they appreciated what was done for them.

Having said all that, I hope MC recovers to get to play at a decent level but if not,

VindePays2009
07-03-2014, 11:22 AM
"How you gonna keep them down on the farm / Now that they've seen Paree?"

Leave the lad alone, and hope that he gets a few games under his belt before the end of the season that might improve the price we get for him. It's frustrating, as it was with Billy Jones (pretty much a Premiership regular now), but what can be done?

I'm sure that supporters were proud of the representative honours Max gained. Unfortunately, what goes with them is the dressing-room chat that revealed the fabulous sums of money some of his team mates were getting.

By this line of reasoning, it would have been better if he'd never played for England at all.

And maybe there'll be a problem with Garratt before long. He wasn't a fixture in the England youth sides like Max, but he had some time out on the park. Will he behave in the way Crewe players are expected to, or not?

Anyway, no young internationalists coming through the Alex pipeline at the moment, so maybe we can relax a little.

AlexLeicester
07-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Anyway, no young internationalists coming through the Alex pipeline at the moment, so maybe we can relax a little.

I agree with much of that apart from the sentence above. I was at the Eng U21s v. Wales U21s on Wednesday (cheap tickets and a great seat :-D ) and both sides looked like Waters, Ray, Murdoch and Garratt would be in with a shout.
Of those 4 I'd choose Murdoch to make an impact in Scotland and Waters to be picked up by Gareth Southgate's scouts eventually.

Max? He's had his chances and unfortunately has been injured for much of what I believe was a 'make or break' season for him.
I also believe that a lot of what is said about his attitude is rubbish, unsubstantiated rumour and damaging to the chances of him changing his/his adviser's mind.
It's Max's career we are talking about - and if someone offered me a lot more for doing the same job somewhere else when I was his age I'd've snapped their hand off.

somersetcrewe
07-03-2014, 11:49 AM
It's Max's career we are talking about - and if someone offered me a lot more for doing the same job somewhere else when I was his age I'd've snapped their hand off.

And I doubt many would disagree.
But it's the unique connections here, (his Dad!), and the apparent lack of loyalty that grates with most I suspect!

EDIT: not forgetting, we've yet to get ONE decent season out of him. We usually get that, even from the ones who go earlier than they should!

AlexonTour
07-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Crewe Alex have and still are renowned for producing top class young players that have gone on to play at the highest level, including internatinal level.

The club has never refused a player a move if the move is right for the player and the club ie the club can recoup its investment with hopefully a bit of profit as well.

Max knows this, so he will know if he signs a contract, if anyone comes in for him, the club would not stand in his way. But by signing the Contract Max has protected the club financially and the money from his move will finance the academy and give the opportunity for another young player, to folow in the footseps of Ashton, Murphy, Powell, Westwood etc.

I know there is not much loyalty in football but I expect more loyalty from our academy lads to do the right thing and protect the club financially.

The academy lads have to understand that they are given a great opportunity, if they are good enough to carve a good career, by playing regular first team footba

all
07-03-2014, 12:39 PM
I am firmly with Mike SB on this one. I respect his wish to move to a Premier Club but he might have signed a contract like many before him to ensure some incoming transfer funds to set against all the money we have put into his development

number1stuartevans
07-03-2014, 02:11 PM
The whole point is the rules have changed and we'll get f all for him now.He's let us all down badly and we'll be lucky to get 100k for him. Compare that to what we got for nick.

alexmick
07-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Absolutely no way is Clayton better than Powell. Never was and never will be. That includes attitude and ability. He still has not proved himself at the Alex and looks like he won't get the opportunity now.

The injury could well be the crux and Swansea are taking one heck of a gamble on him with those pins in his ankle. For an athlete, that can mean problems when resuming his career. Nothing is certain for the lad and one can only hope for his sake, that he overcomes his injury and manages to continue his very privileged career. One would hope that those behind his move away from the club have also got an alternative career lined up for him.

hodgepodge
08-03-2014, 07:58 AM
We should of let united have along with nick for the 11million that was tabled for both although utd do still have 1st option for him.As for being better that powell don't make me laugh be back in league 1 within a season!

PAULCAFC
08-03-2014, 11:24 AM
We should of let united have along with nick for the 11million that was tabled for both although utd do still have 1st option for him.As for being better that powell don't make me laugh be back in league 1 within a season!
True, 5 mill for max then, lucky to get A?200,000 now!!!

Bankole
08-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Why does Max get so much stick yet Dan Tricket-Smith and Ben Marshall etc get pretty much none. At least Max stayed long enough for us to see him play. OK granted he was a bit of a disappointment but I think he has stagnated here for whatever reason so I don't blame him for leaving.

Good luck in the future Max.

And the bit about Powell is just lazy journalism

alexmick
08-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Why does Max get so much stick yet Dan Tricket-Smith and Ben Marshall etc get pretty much none. At least Max stayed long enough for us to see him play. OK granted he was a bit of a disappointment but I think he has stagnated here for whatever reason so I don't blame him for leaving.

Good luck in the future Max.

And the bit about Powell is just lazy journalism

Smith has received his fair share of criticism for jumping ship way too soon. Marshall, as I recall, never asked to leave, he was jettisoned out during Thordarson's era.

I don't understand why you think Clayton is getting unfair stick on here, as surely this thread is a discussion on whether or not he will sign for another club in the summer, whether he will recover from such a bad injury in order to recapture the promise shown a few seasons back, if he is being loyal / disloyal to the club who have spent an age developing the lad, whether we have seen the best of him and