PDA

View Full Version : Phew!

Bellevue
08-03-2014, 06:41 PM
We started off playing towards the Inchie end with the strong wind blowing diagonally across the park, at our back.
10 mins in MacManus gave away a needless foul just over the halfway line on our left. The ball was played down the wing and a low cross into a crowded box was turned into the net by Keddie for an own goal.
A corner by Cook from the right broke to Travis and he hammered it in from 8 or 9 yards out, for the equaliser at about 20 mins played.
Rest of the half was pretty forgettable, with lots of overhit passes and mis-
controlling the ball. Kevin Nicol had the right idea taking a couple of shots from distance but not on target.
Second half playing into the wind we played much better but the winner was a long time coming. It looked like the game would end in a draw then some good play down our left between Sheerin and Hamilton saw the ball played across the box. It looked like it had been overplayed but MacManus came in from the right and scored what proved to be the winn

steeplejack
08-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Three huge points today, and despite my doom and gloom after the Forfar game we have rallied and pulled East Fife, who i stated were THE team to catch, and Airdrie right into the mix.
What we have done in the last two games is give ourselves a fighting chance of staying up, wheather it is via the play-offs or finishing third bottom remains to be seen. Its in our own hands and we still require a titanic effort to gather the required points, it wont be pretty but at this stage its the results that matter, nothing else.

Can I just add, Don Robertson the referee had a very good match, called almost everything correctly.

lichtiekev
08-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Agree thought the ref was good today,didn't give any soft fouls and tried to let game flow..if anything maybe a wee bit lenient but id have hime over some of the other donkeys anyday...

Onto the game and we fully deserved to win in awful conditions..hopefully is not windy next game..its clear to see the guys are working there socks off and doin all they can to climb table so we need to get behind them and stop the criticism that still in small sections off crowd..kevin nicholl was superd today and banjo was good too so please dont put chiz back in...hopefully get a centre half in on loan to cover keddie for next week

ectolichtie
08-03-2014, 08:12 PM
2 threads on the same game, really

smokie_bacon_crisps
08-03-2014, 08:40 PM
2 threads on the same game, really

Oh Come on Ecto! It's amazing how quiet these boards are when we win!

Great result today. I knew it was windy but it wasn't until the second half when I move round the ground you really got a sense of how windy it was. Terrible day for a game and both teams looked nervous, but East Fife looked nervous for 90 minutes where as Arbroath really tried to get on top of the game. Michael Travis beat Joe Mbu for every corner and was unlucky not to get another goal and Bobby Linn was desperately unlucky with almost a carbon copy of his goal against Brechin but all credit to their keeper as he was quick of his line a few times today to save them.

I think Paul McManus had another excellent game and I have to say the gaffer had a great game, some clever touches and he managed to pick out a lot of players where others were happy to just give it a punt. Hopefully Bobby Linn is okay, but he was straig

ectolichtie
08-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Did not make game today and will probably miss next week as well, gutted, believe we were well worth our win today, not sure we can conjure up a loan signing before the Airdrie game, Little to centre-half and Banjo in at RB and chissy back in centre-mid, I suspect, but 1 win does not need 2 threads

Arbroath1
08-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Absolutely agree with all comments, firstly best ref seen at Gayfield this season common sense prevailed could have been IMO two pens second half for East Fife. We deserved everything again today we played all the football again SHEERIN IS DIFFERENT CLASS just not got the legs anymore. Certainly not a passenger him and Hammy linked up well today, think Keddie will be a big loss next week as he has been pretty solid lately. McManus has been a revelation he chases every lost cause and has knack of scoring but more important he is mobile. Cookie again worked his socks of with BObby Linn once again outstanding, Agree with other posts BANJ must keep place in midfield with super signing Kev Nicoll who is now a brilliant replacement for Kerrso full of grit, determination but the boy can play as well.. Hammy a lot better second half maybe just lacking confidence.. Sandy WOOD seems reliable but playing for Arbroath must be nerve racking. Noticed the MOFF is back for Ayr pity he still not suspen

smokie_bacon_crisps
08-03-2014, 10:53 PM
I won't create another topic but interesting interview with Ricky Little on the SPFL website.

Ricky travels from Saltcoats and Chis is coming from the same neck of the woods - great commitment traveling those distances 3 times a week. - view external link (http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/massive-games-keep-coming-for-little/)

ClashCityRocker
09-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Terrific result for the 'broath yesterday.

Every player in a maroon jersey gave 100% and deserve full credit for the big improvement in league form.

The comeback revival is is on track .

If we can beat Airdrie next week the momentum will swing towards Arbroath .

A few other teams are flirting with relegation and safety for a few teams may yet not be confirmed until the last game of the season.

Every Arbroath player was outstanding and they have narrowed the gap with this epic result.

maroonie
09-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Amazing how quiet the boards go when the lichties win. Seems most of the posters only comment when we put in a poor display. Yesterday deserves some praise for the players and management from the moaning minnies. As I posted on the other thread a big WELL DONE to all yesterday.

Lichtielegend
10-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Decent enough performance. Last week we were up against an inept defence, this time an inept attack.

We're at least getting results and the last 2 weeks have seen a noticeable improvement in terms of work rate and pressing. Before the Brechin game we'd been so poor that I couldn't see where a win was coming from.

Airdrie will be a tough game and we'll need to step it up another level if we're to make it 3 in a row.