PDA

View Full Version : OT - MLS 2014 Thread

MichiganWolf
09-03-2014, 02:34 AM
MLS season kicked off today and I'm making a concerted effort to invest more in the league this season. Obviously an inferior product when compared to most of the European leagues, but what I can say about MLS is that it is a very competitive league. Much more parity in MLS than a majority of footy leagues across the globe.

Season got off to a good start. Watched Seattle defeat the defending champions Sporting Kansas City with a stoppage time goal. Tundra's Vancouver Whitecaps have opened with an impressive 4-1 victory over Thierry Henry's NY Red Bulls. Former Wolves forward Kenny Miller had a brace.

I will probably check out the Portland Timbers game tonight. Their manager Caleb Porter is going to have a big impact on footy in the US. Would not be shocked to see him take over as national team coach after Jurgen hangs it up. The Timbers had been pretty woeful before Porter showed up, but in his first season last year, he got them into the playoffs where they defeated hated rivals S

TundraWolf
09-03-2014, 03:41 AM
Tundra's Vancouver Whitecaps have opened with an impressive 4-1 victory over Thierry Henry's NY Red Bulls. Former Wolves forward Kenny Miller had a brace. Attendance: 21,000.

I'll probably use this thread to update on my beloved Detroit City FC when their season kicks off in May.

Highlights below:

You beat me to it with this thread, Michigan.

Yes, not only two goals from Kenny Miller, in our 4-1 thumping of NY, but a first game win for manager, Carl Robinson (both ex-Wolves)!

I am looking forward to your Detroit FC reports, Michigan, enjoyed them greatly last year! - view external link (http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2014/03/08/highlights-vancouver-whitecaps-fc-vs-new-york-red-bulls)

MichiganWolf
10-03-2014, 12:51 AM
Cheers Tundra!

Here's a pic of the scarves this season:
http://tinyurl.com/pcsymw4

I'm a little biased, but I'd say it's one of the best I've seen.

TundraWolf
10-03-2014, 03:38 AM
I agree: original, unique and classical.

Woking88
10-03-2014, 08:31 PM
The eleven-legged spider he is holding in his left hand looks absolutely terrifying! :O

TundraWolf
16-03-2014, 01:46 AM
Just under 40,000 turned out in Seattle to watch the home team take on Toronto FC. Jermaine Defoe stole the show handing the home club at 2-1 defeat. Highlights clip below: - view external link (http://golazo.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2014-03-15-seattle-sounders-fc-vs-toronto-fc/recap)

MichiganWolf
16-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Great debut for the new look Toronto FC. Julio Caesar had a good game as well. Michael Bradley was all over the pitch and the most physical player in the game.

WOODLANDSWOLF
16-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Great debut for the new look Toronto FC. Julio Caesar had a good game as well. Michael Bradley was all over the pitch and the most physical player in the game.

Watched the game, Defoe took his goals beautifully. Wonder if Dempsey will get delayed punishment for slapping that guy in the nuts? Sly barsteward!

MichiganWolf
17-03-2014, 12:29 PM

Watched the game, Defoe took his goals beautifully. Wonder if Dempsey will get delayed punishment for slapping that guy in the nuts? Sly barsteward![/quote]

I would think and hope so. He had another shove on a player while he was down. Shoved a player in the Ukraine friendly as well. He's an intense player and competitor and it works in his favor quite a bit. But it's his own worse enemy. He's gotta rein it in quite a bit. In England, he was just another player. A good player, but he wasn't the target for other teams. In MLS, he's going to be a target because he's the best player on his team.

MichiganWolf
11-05-2014, 02:55 PM
My beloved Le Rouge of Detroit City Football Club have opened up their season this week with two matches. The first was a historical one for the club. For the first time in club history, they were allowed to participate in the US Open Cup. A slight format change allowed for a later start date for the first round, allowing the club to participate (Used to start late March/early April, causing players still in school to be unable to participate).

On Wednesday night, DCFC took on RWB Adria (of Chicago) in the first round of the US Open Cup in Livonia, Michigan. Le Rouge fell 2-2 (1-3 on penalties). I was unable to attend, due to being in Iowa meeting my girlfriend's family. But the team looked good for the first competitive match of the season, but allowed an equalizer in stoppage time to force extra time. Played with 10 men in overtime, due to an injury. DCFC had three penalties saved, while Adria converted all of theirs.

But the home opener was yesterday and they squeaked out a 1-0

TundraWolf
20-05-2014, 02:10 AM
Coach Carl Robinson of the Vancouver Whitecaps has released former teammate and his best player from last season, Kenny Miller:

http://i60.tinypic.com/opwysy.jpg

I wonder if it had anything to do with the black bear that invaded their backyard a week after they had moved in last year:

http://i60.tinypic.com/fp9hfs.jpg

His wife took this photo around back.

MichiganWolf
23-05-2014, 03:33 AM
Sad to see Kenny Miller go, especially sad for you Tunds as that's your local team.

I wonder if he will catch on elsewhere in MLS or somewhere else, or hang them up. Seems like it was a mutual departing of ways.

In other news, LA Galaxy fans might be a little happy to hear this, but Landon Donovan has been left off the US squad for Brazil and will return to his club next week. He will be on stand by if there are injuries though. Klinsmann definitely went with the youth movement in omitting Donovan, Clarence Goodson, Eddie Johnson, Brad Davis, and Maurice Edu in favor of Julian Greene, DeAndre Yedlin, and John Brooks who have only 5 caps b/w them I believe. Risky move but I think he's coaching for 2018. Not too upset or surprised by the selections as none of the guys left off were make or break players for our WC chances IMO.

Woking88
23-05-2014, 07:11 AM
Any chance of putting up relevant League tables?

TundraWolf
23-05-2014, 11:50 AM
MLS homepage link below, Wokes. Clicking on 'Standings" at the top provides a complete run down.

Seattle, the top team in the MLS at present, have a large following for their home games (49,000+ last week); they come up to Vancouver this Saturday for a match with the Whitecaps. - view external link (http://www.mlssoccer.com/)

wolves71
03-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Sad to see Kenny Miller go, especially sad for you Tunds as that's your local team.

I wonder if he will catch on elsewhere in MLS or somewhere else, or hang them up. Seems like it was a mutual departing of ways.

In other news, LA Galaxy fans might be a little happy to hear this, but Landon Donovan has been left off the US squad for Brazil and will return to his club next week. He will be on stand by if there are injuries though. Klinsmann definitely went with the youth movement in omitting Donovan, Clarence Goodson, Eddie Johnson, Brad Davis, and Maurice Edu in favor of Julian Greene, DeAndre Yedlin, and John Brooks who have only 5 caps b/w them I believe. Risky move but I think he's coaching for 2018. Not too upset or surprised by the selections as none of the guys left off were make or break players for our WC chances IMO.

Kenny Miller looks like he's heading back to Rangers, third time for the player. - [url=http