PDA

View Full Version : Defensive problems again!

alexmick
09-03-2014, 11:21 AM
As I did not attend the game against Peterborough, I can only comment on what I have heard, read and seen on the TV, regarding our defensive woes. Listening to P & G last evening, one caller was very concerned about the fact that there is a certain defender who continues to be selected every week, regardless of his form. The caller refused the player, but I think we can all guess who he means. I reckon that he has a point. When Ellis, Dugdale, Ray and Mellor were out of sorts, they were dropped. Perhaps now is the time to rectify the problem and try someone fresh in that position. Adam Dugdale seemed to be doing alright before he disappeared from the team sheet. Perhaps he now deserves a chance to show his worth.

MikeSB
09-03-2014, 10:03 PM
Unless we can sort out the defensive errors then scoring goals like we did yesterday won't matter a jot and relegation is a certainty. There was one occasion where their player turned two of ours so easily it was unbelievable. As Trevor Griffiths said, teams that let in 70 or 80 goals in a season its no surprise when relegation occurs and to be fair shouldn't be as the writing as been on the wall long enough.

In fairness you can see the players disappointment when we do let goals in and so they all do try and maybe some are just not good enough in this league and so the vexed question pops up as how disappointing it is that after banking a few million pounds and certainly more than most clubs in this league to allow this to happen so soon after getting promoted? Maybe Steve should have concentrated more on the back four than the front four??

Our results against the lower teams in this league are not good indicators either.

But one or two wins on the bounce could make all the differ

supercrewe
10-03-2014, 10:37 AM
I will be unpopular for saying this, but for a goalkeeper who is supposedly playing well, Ben Garratt concedes a lot of goals !

AlexLeicester
10-03-2014, 11:34 AM
I will be unpopular for saying this, but for a goalkeeper who is supposedly playing well, Ben Garratt concedes a lot of goals !

Aye. You will be with some, but you do raise an important question.
Ben is young as well as talented, so he is bound to make some mistakes as well as some spectacular saves. In his defence, working with Steve Phillips is bringing a decent level of maturity to his positioning and reading of the games. He can't get everything right!

I was not at Peterborough, but his recent displays have been good, but - and this is just my opinion - lacking the strength to be get across the goal, back-track, come out etc. quickly enough, and be a proper stopper.
I think he's another that could do with building up a bit.

At least Ben has a great future ahead of him.

Perhaps SD was, yet again, right in looking for a proven 'keeper to take some pressure off him?

Red_Army
10-03-2014, 12:21 PM
I thought that when Steve took over from Dario our defensive problems would be cured, with Steve being a central defender himself. I just assumed that all would be well. Some weeks we look solid and then others we just look like we have never played together before.

I take your point SuperCrewe. Past comments will suggest that I stand up for Ben and I will continue too but I am aware of his goals against column. But if a keeper is having the amount of shots to deal with as Ben is, is the goals against column likely to be high anyway?

itwasin
10-03-2014, 01:38 PM
A bit like A/L Unpredicatable! confused at times

itwasin
10-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Arsenal/Leeds

alexmick
10-03-2014, 07:52 PM
I hear that Ben Garratt was actually not at fault for the four goals he conceded at Posh and he did make some excellent saves to keep the score down. I don't think that he has conceded any more goals in the games he has played, than the other two who were between the sticks earlier in the season.

Does anyone think that it is time to give Harry Davis a rest and try someone else alongside Ellis? Perhaps Dugdale, Ray or even Mellor.

Stealex
11-03-2014, 05:49 AM
I personally put this issue down to tactical reasons rather than inept players. As implied in another thread, Davis just isn't getting the best out of certain players that go elsewhere and seem to succeed.

I am personally happy with a back four of Tootle, Davis, Ellis and Guthrie but they are put under too much pressure in pretty much every match. Our wide midfielders (particularly Byron) lose the ball and don't backtrack often enough putting increased pressure on the fullbacks. We give the ball away time after time from throw-ins, it's embarrassing. Our strikers don't seem to be able to hold the ball up and dominate. This all puts pressure on a young back four.

When we play well then things are great but when we don't play well then as a team we need to be able to do the simple things well to relieve the pressure on the defence. It's here where we are failing in my opinion.

somersetcrewe
11-03-2014, 07:43 AM
Does anyone think that it is time to give Harry Davis a rest and try someone else alongside Ellis?

Maybe, not sure.
I just thought Saturday showed SD's main weakness when having his son in the team.
Openly criticising Grant for the 3rd goal, (I wasn't there but judging by the highlights, his "error" was well before the goal, it wasn't even shown!), whereas the most obvious blunder, immediately after taking the lead was not mentioned.
I know it must be difficult - so I say keep your counsel when things like that happen. You'll only be accused of one thing otherwise - i.e.: the N word!! :(

AstonAlex
11-03-2014, 10:56 AM
I can't agree that Harry should be dropped for Duggy, as suggested. The last few times that Duggy and Ellis have played together have not been pretty . . both good, strong players but put it on the ground and they have the turning circle of the Birkenhead Ferry. Either one of them need to have a Harry alongside, IMHO. He isn't everyone's cup of tea but I think he's been consistent and pretty anonymous since Christmas, just how I like a central defender to be as it suggests he isn't making howlers left, right and centre.

Keep the same Back 4 for the rest of the season and get Ellis and Guthrie on new contracts asap. Mellor and Ray need to step up to the mark to get their places back.

Alex_Crew
11-03-2014, 01:13 PM
I just wonder whether playing 3 centre-halves might help.

5 defenders, 2 defensive midfielders (Evans & Grant), Inman with a free role and Chuks & Pogs up front.

It *may* make us a little harder to play through, but then again we are talking about Crewe Alexandra...